1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stir Plate

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sooners3210, Jun 18, 2013.

1. sooners3210

sooners3210 Aficionado (160) Texas Jun 15, 2006

Looking to get a stir plate, does anyone have a favorite one, if so do you have a link for it?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ejayz, OddNotion and sarcastro like this.
  3. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

I have this one also. I love it. I purchased from William's Brewing.
  4. Same here. LOVE IT!
    Ejayz likes this.
  5. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (640) Texas Jul 14, 2009

I'm working on building one right now. Hopefully I'll be finished tonight. Its actually really simple, not sure why I put it off so long
  6. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Savant (255) Texas Nov 10, 2012

I bought one on Ebay, used lab equipment. Works great! My beer glows in the dark???
  7. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

8. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Based on a great 2+ year experience with their 2L flask model, I recommend stirstarters all the way. Just consider if you will be only brewing 5 gallon batches or if you will be expanding the 10 gallon batches at some point. The former works well with a 2L flask / standard stir plate model, while the latter is better with a 5L flask / upgraded stir plate model. If you are brewing 10 gallon batches (or know you will be in the future) I recommend. Stirstarters has stir plates for each volume, but I haven't used their bigger version for 5L flasks. What I have (and love) is the Stir Plate 3000 with a 5L flask. I've done 4L starters with it and it worked just fine. plate http://www.stir-plate.com/products.htm
  9. Make one and put the rest to ingredients. Tons of how tos on youtube:

inchrisin likes this.
  10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

I bought the stir starter too. For some reason the motor burned out after a few months, but that wasn't much of a problem to fix. Quick trip to Radio Shack, get a computer fan, a little Elmer's to glue the magnets, done.
  11. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I ordered the stir plate through Bell's website. I got it, first opportunity to use it, I made a 1L starter mix, and put it on the brand new plate. It operated for at least 7 hours, that I am aware of, then I went to bed. When I got up the next day, it had stopped functioning sometime over the night. No burned smell, no heat, no hum - just dead. I contacted Bells regarding the procedure for an RMA if there was one. Quite honestly, I didn't ever check to see if or what the warranty was on this unit. Drew Bell of Bell's responded to my email put through their website almost immediately, and was extremely nice and helpful, and he referred me over to Dan Jeska at StirStarters, and also said there was a lifetime warranty. (Sweet). I figured it was up to me to contact Dan at this point, so I did. Well, Drew Bell also forwarded all my info over to Dan, which was nice and above the call of duty. Dan from Stir starters and I talked over the issue, and he opted to put a new unit in the mail for me along with RMA information to return the dead unit. Very nice people - both Drew and Dan. Dan's service and level of trust is outstanding. Where true customer service seems to be going by the wayside these days, Dan gets high praise from me. Is it a $40 something dollar stir plate that you can put together yourself with a trip to Radio Shack? Yeah, perhaps - but it is only $40, and if you have an outstanding guy and company like Dan and Stir Starters, why would you ever want to mess around with a DIY, when he has your back for the lifetime you own the product? I just wanted to put this out there, most times these days, folks want to flame on people for bad experiences - I'd like to simply make mention of how great it has been dealing with both Bells and Dan Jeska at Stir Starters. Thanks guys!
  12. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'll echo what RobM77 said..

I recently had my stir plate go down. I sent it to Dan, he fixed it immediately, and had it back in the mail. Apparently, I must have had a flask overflow in the night, or had some wort get into the box and slowly corrode the fan motor wires.

Dan replaced it, and sent it on the way with it's full warranty! He was prompt and very nice, and didn't charge me to fix, what would have appeared to be MY mistake.

Worth every penny, and to be honest, it's worth buying the stir starter for the price, as I don't have to hunt down the material, or build it, and when something goes wrong, I've got service behind it for help, even if it does cost me.

In any case- I've got a new stirplate in the mail coming back to me in less than a week.

FYI, put some plastic wrap over your stir plate to protect it when you have a flask on it. In the event of a run over, it'll keep it off the electronics.
  13. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

Has anyone used a StirStarter with a 2L flask? My 2L must have a slight convex-shaped bottom because I can't keep my magnet in the middle. I'm curious if my magnets aren't strong enough or if it just that my flask wouldn't work on any stirplate.
  14. IKR

IKR Savant (310) California May 25, 2010

I've used my 2L flask with my StirStarter for roughly 3 years and I have to play with it a bit to get the magnet centered and stirring, but once I find the sweet spot it's all good. It takes a bit more to get it centered than the Fisher Lab stir plates I've borrowed from work but once centered I've been good for 48 hours.
  15. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I use a 2L flask on my Stirstarter and it never throws the magnet, so I'd say it's your flask shape.
  16. IncanGoat

IncanGoat Disciple (70) California Jun 27, 2013

I use one of these. I love the DIY style of this thing and it's been so reliable. Plus, lifetime guarantee.
  17. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

IMO...$60 luxury item.
    Great Father's Day or birthday gift.
  18. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

I should clarify my previous post. I have a DIY stirplate so I don't know if I did something wrong or used inferior parts (wood between magnets and flask is too thick, magnets slightly off center, magnets aren't strong enough, etc.)
  19. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

20. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

To continue with my saga of EXCELLENT customer service from Dan at Stir Starters... my replacement stir plate showed up in two days after our conversation (I'm in Illinois, he's in Michigan). The part that really surprised me was Dan included a prepaid return shipping label for the unit I was to return. Wow. It's common place that the factory pays to ship out, and you pay to return - but he covered it both ways. A rarity these days, and further impressed me. Again - THANK YOU Dan, I love the way you do business. :)
    FATC1TY likes this.
  21. Thanks to everyone's high praise, I just purchased one from Bell's. This has been on my list of things to build/buy, and you guys sold me on the 'buy' option since the customer service seems to be extremely good.
  22. :)
    Next time I see Dan, I will ask if he has a factory now. That should be fun. :)