1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone AHA Rally March 10th

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by xraided81, Mar 8, 2012.

1. xraided81

xraided81 Savant (305) California Jan 9, 2008

Anyone going to the Stone AHA Membership Rally this saturday? I know it was RSVP, and now the site has closed. Just curious if anyone knows, if they will still be selling AHA memberships there to people that didnt RSVP. I was taking a guest who didnt RSVP. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

2. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I wanted to but I had already made plans for going to Big Bear for my brother-in-laws birthday.

IIRC, there were a lot of people who went last year that did not RSVP, just make sure to get there early to beat the long slow line (people registering for AHA at the door)

3. xraided81

Thanks for the heads up do you know if it is cool to take homebrew? I was planning on taking a growler of my Nelson IPA

4. nanobrew

I would guess it is fine to bring a little to share with friends, but honestly I do not know if this is the time or place. I know that sounds weird for a AHA rally but this rally has a main event. The event is focused on trying other (and there are a lot, something like 40+) home brews that have been entered into the contest. The amount of time given makes it a little tight to try them all if you wanted to. Plus, 40 2oz pours add up quick.

However, at one point the general voting will be done, and that might be a good time to bring out your home brew. I would send a BM or e-mail to Greg Koch and ask him. I am probably not the best person to ask because I was not hanging out too much in the general crowd. My wife and I had a table and were eating, so I would just sneak off every once in awhile and grab some samples.

5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I'll be there, along with my wheatwine (Hogg's Wine) in the competition. Our brew club is taking a bus down, so it should be a lot of fun.

6. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

I did the RSVP through the Homebrewer's Association website but haven't heard anything back from them. Anyone else in the same situation?

7. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

you should email the bistro about bringing beer in, i dont think you will be able to do so though

8. nanobrew

they usually allow beer to be brought in for special events such sour fest, oakquinox, some of the meet the brewer nights. So it is typically not an issue bringing in beer for a special event, however I am not sure if this is one of the events they want beer brought to, especially since you can technically drink as much as you want during the rally (no taster tickets)

9. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

I got my confirmation email on the 5th. I assume you've checked your spam folder etc. etc.?

10. I will be there and competing with my BIG IPL. They maxed out the space so if someone didn't RSVP I'd be surprised if they got in. Don't quote me on that, but if I were you I'd call Stone to confirm

11. barfdiggs

Have you competed in the comp. before? Do we really only have 1.5 hours to taste all the beers before voting?

12. nanobrew

there is not much time. I only got to try about 2/3 of the beer. But I was also spending a little bit of time at a table with my wife. The pouring and lines move fast. Pours are also fairly small. Most people were drinking while waiting in line for the next beer.

13. barfdiggs

Thanks for the info. I'm really curious to see what the overall quality of all forty entries, and the final four beers is like. Should be a fun, albeit slightly crazy day!

14. xraided81

I hope taking a guest shouldn't be a problem I know of at least 8 people who rsvp but can't make it I'll get there early

15. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (270) California Jun 9, 2010

last year was a ton of fun. wish i could go this year. :(
    that cherry chocolate stout totally cheated last year. the rules explicitly said no fruit!

16. JMF

JMF Disciple (65) California Mar 10, 2012

The rules did not say no fruit.
    They did say that there would be a possibility that they wouldn't brew the winning beer though

17. ryno09

Well I'm looking forward to trying some great homebrew today. Hopefully there won't be any dumps this year.

18. ryno09

I'm going to bring some homebrew with me since I'll be bringing my backpack/chair/cooler contraption to the event. I don't know if I'll open up anything but if people are interested let me know.

19. barfdiggs

Nice beer man! Solid!

20. johndoe8

strange... the rules from 2011:

You must have your registration form filled out and submitted by Wednesday, March 9th at noon to enter your beer in the competition. NO BEERS WILL BE ACCEPTED THE DAY OF THE EVENT THAT HAVE NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED.
    You must be an AHA Member to enter or to taste/judge the day of the rally. Wouldn't you know it? You can join that day at the door!
    Stone cannot accept recipes for fruit beers, bacterially soured beers, Brettanomyces beers or beers requiring extended aging (more than 60 days), etc.
    You must be located in one of the following counties: San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino or Riverside
    You need to submit six 22oz bottles or twelve 12oz bottles for judging. Submitting on draft is allowed, but you must bring your own draft system or bronco pump.

When it says "Stone cannot accept recipes for fruit beers", I'm pretty sure that means against the rules. Not that I entered last year, but I'm just saying, it's pretty strange that a beer with cherries won, when no other beer submitted had fruit because of what was explicitly stated in the rules/guidelines.

21. JMF

Have a link or is that just from memory?

22. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

a stout is NOT a fruit beer... it just has some cherries added in. i think theyre saying they dont want you to submit a lambic

23. johndoe8

i had a link when i posted that. i'm on a diff computer now. just google for it. i was there last year, with a couple friends who entered into the rally last year. they didn't win, but they kind of cried foul when a beer with cherries won it. if we didn't have such a vivid memory of pointing it out directly to greg, i wouldn't have remembered it. greg shrugged his shoulders and said "oh well, no big deal" if you're curious.

24. johndoe8

a lambic would be a bacterially soured beer. nothing to do with fruit. it was most likely a cya rule so they didn't end up having to somehow secure say, like a ton of passionfruit during an offseason.

25. JMF

I did search for it. All I could find was this years rules.

FYI with the fruit taken out of the rules completely this year......there was only one entry

26. Heard you took 4th place, my man! Nice work Scottie-boy! I hope you brewed some extra for your homies ;)

27. I was smart enough to brew 10 gallons of it just so I could still have a full keg after the comp

28. Thanks man

29. ryno09

I liked your beer! What hops were in that?

30. JMF

Congrats Star. Didn't get a chance to taste yours.....but good job on 4th!

31. barfdiggs

You're welcome. You finished one ahead of me; jerk :) ... I finished 5th.

32. barfdiggs

Pacific Hallertau, Nelson, Galaxy (Boil, 1st Dry hop), Amarillo, Citra (2nd Dry hop in Keg)

33. ryno09

Nice! I knew there had to be some hops from down under in that beer.

34. nanobrew

The rules did state no fruit beers and separately no beers with wild yeast. Last year, someone on BA pointed out that the cherries in the stout was in violation of the rules. Greg responded to some effect of "oops".

With that said I do not think they were too worried about the fruit as mush as wild bugs in the beer. Plus what Johndoe said about trying to get expensive/rare/out of season fruit.

P.S. what beer won? I did not see it mentioned above

35. barfdiggs

Ken Schmidt won again, with a mint imperial stout.

36. nanobrew

All I know about him is A) he brews great beer and B) he loves using ingredients I don't like (coconut and mint). If he wins again with mustard or olives I am calling it a conspiracy

37. he was also walking around with a small flip-top growler of a killer peanut-chocolate beer that tasted like dry-roast peanuts and chocolate.

38. Hey, if anyone is interested in the recipe for my beer here it is

39. JMF

Damn.....wish I wouldn't have grabbed a seat up at the bar to grab a bite to eat!

40. ryno09

Yeah, I got a sample of that. He was calling it "Snickers In A Bottle". I liked it better than the beer he won with but both are great (same base beer for both).