1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Brewing Co. Introduces the "Stone Mixed 12 Pack"

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Stone Brewing Co. Introduces the “Stone Mixed 12 Pack” to Retailers and Bottle Shops

ESCONDIDO, CA (Oct. 4, 2013) – It’s every craft beer lover's dilemma: What beer should I pick when at the grocery store or bottle shop? With an incredible array of tasty craft beers to choose from these days, the answer isn’t always easy. To aid in every beer enthusiast’s decision-making process, Stone Brewing Co. is introducing a variety pack dubbed the Stone Mixed 12 Pack. The Pack may currently be found at select retailers and bottle shops in California. The Stone Mixed 12 Pack features three 12-ounce bottles of four beloved Stone year-round releases: Stone IPA, Stone Levitation Ale, Stone Ruination IPA and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale.

The Stone Mixed 12 Pack is ideal for the craft beer fan who wants (and rightfully deserves) more than just one of the many flavor experiences that Stone has to offer. Whether it’s a beer they can’t live without or one that perhaps they haven’t tried before, the Stone Mixed 12 Pack offers what beer enthusiasts love today: choice. It’s also a great option when faced with entertaining guests with varying palates and desires, making the act of choosing sometimes difficult.

“We hope this new Stone Mixed 12 Pack allows our fans to enjoy their Stone favorites or revisit a beer they haven’t had in a while. It also introduces new fans to the big, bold and hoppy beers Stone is known for,” said Stone CEO and Co-founder Greg Koch. “Sometimes you are in the mood for something overly aggressive and hoppy, other times you might be looking for something that isn’t quite as intense to help you wind down after a long day.”

The Stone Mixed 12 Pack will be available more widely across America beginning in 2014. Occasionally, Stone will mix up – yes, pun intended – the beers included in the Stone Mixed 12 Pack so fans always have a new variety to look forward to.

http://www.stonebrewing.com

###
  2. I love when breweries do mixed 12 packs. However, I prefer when the styles in the mix pack are more diverse. Save for the Levitation, this mixed pack is a hop heads dream. That's all find and good, but if I am in the mood for a bunch of IPA's, I will just buy a six pack of one IPA. I am sure they will do well with this though as IPA's seem to be what most beer geeks desire these days.

I love you Stone, but this isn't for me. If you has replaced the IPA with your smoked porter (not that you put that 12 ouncers) I'd be all over this.
  3. Curious to see the price. One person was speculating $30 in a previous thread. That will be pretty close, I think. If that is the case I will have to talk myself into it. I love those beers but...
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  4. Well, Stone isn't exactly the most diverse brewery.

They brew what beer geeks want, and that's about it.
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  5. I can't see a price tag that high. A 6er of IPA = $10.99= $5 for the 12 pack
    3 ruination= $9
    Levitation=$5 for the 12 pack
    Oaked AB= ~$9

$25 MSRP is my guess.
  6. My dream Stone mixed 12: IPA, Espresso IRS, Arrogant Bastard, Smoked Porter. Espresso IRS in 12 oz bottles would be sweet.
  7. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

still kind of a high price tag, i think if i saw it for 20.99, i would be game that would mean 10.50 sixers which i think is more than fair for those beers
    teraflx and MADhombrewer like this.
  8. Zorro

Zorro Advocate (705) California Dec 25, 2003

Maybe they will change the mix seasonally.

Or maybe an All Hoppy Beer mix for Easter and an All Dark and Scary beers for Halloween.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  9. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I'd probably pick up the dark 12-pack before the hoppy one. It'd have to be: Smoked Porter, IRS, Sublimely Self-Righteous, and then some other offering from them that doesn't quite fit the theme, either AB, Double Bastard, or Old Guardian.

10. Definitely a selection I enjoy. Price will be the determining factor here. I'd be game if they're about $20 or less. More than that doesn't seem worth it. I can get a whole case of good craft for $40 or less.

Good to know that they plan to mix up the offerings too, as the ones listed there are all relatively hoppy.
  11. socon67

socon67 Advocate (625) New York Jun 18, 2010

As has been pointed out already, this is too hop heavy for me to justify. Take one of those
    IPA's out for the smoked porter and now we're talking.
  12. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Saw this the other day, I'm excited. Oaked is my favorite bastard so that's nice, but I'd rather have SSR or the porter rather than the IPA. Still can't complain!
  13. So pouncing on this if I see it at the store
  14. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

17.99 at tw in SoCal and 19.99 at whole foods and discovered levitation is awesome
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  15. 20-25 i think is reasonable for this. especially for the ruination and oaked AB. i hope i see them soon
  16. I'll be looking for this. I like it when breweries put together a mixer of their offerings. A friend brought me back a Sweetwater Tackle Box from South Carolina. It's a great intro to a brewery I haven't tried yet, and I am a little late in the game sampling Stone's wares. If Enjoy By and their Anniversary beers are any indication, I will enjoy more.
  17. Sounds good but you get 3 of each and that's only 1 less than you can get of the ruination and Oaked AB by themselves. Not a big difference.
  18. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

+1.
    MilkManX likes this.
  19. Iowapride65

Iowapride65 Disciple (50) Iowa Apr 10, 2013

I would like to see Sierra Nevada do a mixed 12 pack. Anyone else...?
    A2HB, MilkManX, hardy008 and 3 others like this.
  20. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Can't say I'd mind, but SN is cheap enough to just stock up the fridge with a 6 pack of PA, Torpedo, Porter and Stout
  21. buttesnake

buttesnake Zealot (75) Colorado Sep 25, 2013

They do indeed make the smoked porter in 12oz bottles.
  22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Damn, too bad no Stone in WI. I may have to take a trip south of the border.
  23. rick_91709

rick_91709 Zealot (95) California Jun 3, 2013

$15.56 in Sam's Club. Good deal.
    A2HB and hardy008 like this.
  24. buttesnake

buttesnake Zealot (75) Colorado Sep 25, 2013

Mexico?
  25. tmgerd

tmgerd Zealot (80) California Sep 13, 2011

$16.99 at Costco. Failed to notice the typo on the box ("Runination") until I saw the note inside from Greg Koch explaining the mistake and why it still shipped. I must say, the typo along with the note makes me appreciate Stone for more than just great beer.
  26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

Just bought the 12er and I noticed the Ruination is 8.2% ABV now. Did stone up the ABV? I thought it used to be below 8%, like 7.7%? I have bought Ruination in awhile.
  27. Yup
  28. I'm a beer geek and I to date have only liked one Stone beer and it was the Mixtape vol 5. True Beer Geeks want more than predictable over hopped IPAs.
  29. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I think you are either fibbing or have not given their beers a fair shot.

Sublimely Self Righteous, Cali-Beligiq, Imperial Russian Stout, Stone Smoked Porter are all of their annual or year long beers that are FAR from hop bombs...
    O yea, and their IRS is the 2nd ranked RIS, widely distributed, on this site's ratings.
    Not to mention the 15th and 17th... those are the first anni beers that come to mind that are far from hop bombs and also very delicious.
    Not to mention the Vertical Epic series, while some were deff. better than others, there were deff. some solid beers in the series and overall it was a very creative concept, I can't think of anybody else who has played off of the millennium years like that.
    Not to mention the Suede jasmine Porter that is about to come out.
    Not to mention the W00tstout and Cocount IPA they just released a couple months ago that were anything but overly hopped.
    Not to mention the Dayman coffee IPA that I've heard many people rave about, I have not come within many miles of it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things and again, it is anything but overly hopped or predictable.
    I also know I'm forgetting more than a couple great beers by Stone that are far from over-hopped.

Stone knows how to use hops and make a kick ass IPA look easy to make, something a LOT LOT of other breweries, that I have had beer from, do not know how to do.. Also unlike a lot of breweries today, they are not one trick ponies. They have the brewer skills to pull off many more styles very well and better than others in more than just a hoppy IPA.

They did up the alcohol percentage, yes....

See their blog...
    http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/runination/#more-5029

The good news is this. While the name may be misspelled on the box, there is nothing wrong with the beer inside. It’s the same Stone Ruination IPA our fans have come to love and expect. Well, now, hold on a minute, our proofreaders just read the initial draft of this blog post and caught something. Turns out, the beer in there isn’t exactly the same as the Stone Ruination IPA our fans are used to. Recently, the alcohol-by-volume was ratcheted up from the previous 7.7% to 8.2%. So, there’s a bit of difference in the brew’s octane, but that had nothing to do with the box typo (but possibly vice-versa), and you can expect that same immense wallop of piney, citrusy hop presence.
    FriarTuckInLuck and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  30. Oh yeah? Damn didn't know that. They should totally put that in the mixed pack!
  31. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Awesome, hopefully this makees it to chicago area sams for around that price.
  32. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

I'd love that. Instead of having to buy a full case to get four different beers, a 12er would let me pick up a few bottles each of, say, Pale Ale, Torpedo, Porter, and Stout. I'd buy it.

This Stone pack? Probably not, more out of cost than the included beers. I think I'm one of those few people who would rather just have a Stone IPA than an Oaked Arrogant Bastard.
  33. Making a kick ass IPA is difficult? Check the ratings on this website, seems pretty clear to me ALOT of breweries are making excellent IPAs.

They do not brew a wide variety of styles. Look at their list of beers. It's dominated by IPAs, hoppy strong ales, hoppy barleywines, Imperial stouts (another easy style to nail)...etc.

What about lagers? Non-saison wheat beers? Belgian beers that aren't IPAs?

I'm not trying to bash them here, as I've enjoyed their beers over the years, but I think it's a bit of stretch to claim they, "pull off many more styles very well and better than others." Compare them to say, Sierra Nevada.
  34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

And Cantillon only makes sours, what's your point?
    CharlatanSin and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  35. gonna be expensive in MA.. prices are absolutely outrageous from distributor to retailer for Stone
  36. Stone does not excite me.
    Listing a bunch of beers that you don't think are 'over' hopped doesn't convince me, especially when they are 75+ IBUs...And I know this is hard to believe I had them and they are hoppy!
    Not to mention, Adding in a bunch of beers you have not had and are assuming are not hoppy doesn't help your cause.
    Not to mention, You shouldn't call someone a liar just because they don't love the brewery you have a 4 hour Cialias boner for.
    I had the Coconut the same day I had the mix tape and I didn't think it tasted at all like coconut...I still was willing to try the mix tape and I am happy I did.

I missed w00t by one glass and I think I would like it but The prices they wanted for a bottle I'm not willing to risk. I don't like the porter and I should have loved it. I should have hated the Mixtape but I like it a lot.
    I want to try the Suede but If they want $15 for a 22oz I'll pass.
  37. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Heckaaa. Maybe...
    -pale ale
    -seasonal
    -torpedo
    -stout/kellerweis (depending on seasonal)

Or maybe a pack of new beers or tap only selections
  38. Wow, if the price is truly>20$, how are we not overjoyed Beer Advocate? And how the hell did we allow this thread to get hijacked by Sierra Nevada? I am both confused and disappointed...All are great beers, and Oaked Arrogant Bastard is THE SHIT!
    BigStein88 and Wylde like this.
  39. Wylde

Wylde Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 9, 2008

I went to the store the other day just to buy a 4 pack of this and was severely disappointed that they were sold out :O

Going to have to pick up this 12 pack when I see it
  40. Any beer in 12oz bottles would be sweet! Not a huge fan of bombers....