1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Brewing Co. is looking to expand East of the Mississippi

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by DaltonC, Mar 8, 2014.

1. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (300) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

2. A Stone brewery in the East? I would be delighted. I don't generally have a problem finding stuff from Stone, but more availability for their beers is never a bad thing.
  3. the only beer i have trouble finding from stone is enjoy by...so a stone company store in the tri state would make my tits explode
  4. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (345) New York Aug 24, 2011

Please, please, please pick NY
  5. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Stone has a great brand and great beer, I can see them being very successful on East coast.
  6. Nyack would be nice.
    twizzard likes this.
  7. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

We know it won't be in PA (expletive deleted)....state laws.
  8. Maryland gets passed over for most things, so this will likely be the same. However, one can wish. Who knows if my state even submitted any RFPs?
    Shroud0fdoom and Nlawrence301 like this.
  9. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I know NC already put in their proposal....OH should jump on this!
  10. I guess that explains why there's "only" 107 breweries in PA, fifth most in the US (based on B.A.'s 2012 numbers). And why PA in pre-craft era (when, if anything, the laws were strictly - fewer bottles shops, no out-of-state ownership allowed, no grocery sales, no brewpubs, etc) had more breweries than any other state in the country - 18 of 122 breweries in the US in 1973 were in Pennsylvania. In fact, they still have more pre-craft era, non-macro breweries running than any other state - Yuengling, Straub, The Lion, City-Latrobe and BBC-Allentown.

Many of the laws that PA beer drinkers hate, breweries like. The PA State Brewers Association even claimed they helped write the post-Repeal liquor codes.
  11. In talking to a few brewery owners over the years, I'd say that PA is actually very brewery friendly. One of the biggest reasons - beer sold to wholesalers/distributors is COD here. Breweries both in state and out of state love that. Instant return on your product no waiting 30, 45, 90 + days out to get paid.
    cavedave and gcamparone like this.
  12. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I could see a Stone World Bistro hitting it off in the SF Bay Area.

Market saturation? Na!
  13. Stone, Come on over to N.C. New Belgium, Oscar Blues, and Sierra Nevada expanded here, we really love beer.
  14. rangerred

rangerred Savant (415) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

I think East TN has put in a proposal in the Knoxville area. I know we barely missed out on Sierra Nevada but have fixed some laws since then. Having Stone close by would be absolutely amazing.
  15. Donco

I was referring to no chance of a Stone store due to state regulations...
  16. I see old/out of date Stone IPA's all over NY now. I can't imagine that'll get any better with an east coast brewery.
  17. Ah, the Stone Store. OK, got it. I suppose it "could" happen here though if the correct amount of flaming hoops are jumped through in the proper order lol.
  18. Donco

Riiiggghhttt....with this state government?
    ClockworkOrange likes this.
  19. Also, never been to one of their stores, but do they sell food? Because by law they would have to here, so flippin stoopid.
  20. Same here. Want some 2 y/o Stone IPA? I know just the place...
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  21. ions

ions Savant (300) Maryland Jan 28, 2014

I can find Stone in most places here in MD. We already have some good brewery's in MD IE Flying Dog, Heavy Seas and Dogfish Head (technically Delaware, but come on that shouldn't even be a state!) so It would be nice to see a
    Stone brewery in MD but I highly doubt it would be here.
    gillagorilla likes this.
  22. Is yours at least at full price like mine is?
  23. Absolutely! Only $13.49 a sixer...killer deal
  24. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

$10 sixer in Missouri, but cost of living being what it is... It does move...
  25. nohbudi

nohbudi Disciple (70) Ohio May 18, 2008

If it turns out anything like the mess that Mendocino did... they can keep it. But I would love to have any quality breweries available at a better price point.
  26. Come to PA! Our purchasing laws and the LCB is archaic, but I think Stone and PA is a great match!
    I still don't understand why I can find old six packs of Stone as well, especially when their beers are so terrific! It took about 6-8 months of checking the enjoy by date on a sixer of Levitation at Wegmans and until a new one came in!
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  27. idkspencer

idkspencer Zealot (90) Florida Mar 30, 2013

if they're looking for the closest match to their culture and environment it would most likely be the southeastern coast of Florida!
  28. Probably go to NC, with all the other breweries expanding.
    GarthDanielson likes this.
  29. Report the stores on Stone's site. They will be replaced quickly.
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  30. Come to West Virginia! We would be a great place..who am I kidding. I can't even buy stone in the state. Least a drive up to pa or over to md. That and WV is actually trying to make brewers set their prices for 3 months to 'protect' the customer. For local, uber small breweries it could be disastrous. Wont see stone anytime soon.
  31. It is the store selling it, or the distributor....I'd contact Stone on this ASAP!
  32. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (300) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

Update: Greensboro, NC made a bid and is looking to show Stone around and the beer industry there. Something like that.
  33. In my opinion stone needs to worry more about expanding their horizons in brewing before company expansion. They are a great brewery with great potential. but i would like to see more experiments with a wider range in brew styles.How many beers from stone can you honestly say are up to par with some greats in their style?
  34. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It seems to me Stone needs to keep doing what they're doing, which is to sell a shit-ton of beer across the United States and beyond, and occupy a lot of shelf space and tap lines wherever they gain a foothold. There are a lot of reasons why so many breweries west of the Mississippi are expanding eastward faster than eastern breweries are expanding westward, but one of them is that they appear to understand the concept of establishing and expanding market share. The vast majority of beer drinkers aren't looking for the very best in a given style, and they're certainly not looking to be experimented on; they're looking for enjoyable beer that's consistently made well.
  35. If someone could tell me how North Carolina came along with craft beer, I would love to have that knowledge. It is awesome and at the same time stunning, to see areas of the country have a craft beer community that di not ten years ago. I just get saddened about it because all the traveling I did when I as younger never revealed these areas of growth.
  36. Reminds me of Barry Bonds, late the the game and extremely jealous of Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire. (Sierra Nevada & Lagunitas) I want my roids too!!
  37. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I think SE Michigan or NW Ohio would be a great area for Stone. There are rail lines and expressways that intersect here going in all directions across the country, especially in Toledo, OH.
  38. honkey

honkey Savant (250) Alabama Aug 28, 2010