1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Dayman Coffee IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Ant7780, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

2. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I've had it - was at the booth next to Aleman at the homebrew competition where this won. Out of the keg it actually worked pretty well, curious to see if they were able to scale it up successfully.
    cjacobsen likes this.
  3. Yeah, Mikkeller did Koppi IPA years ago. Not a big fan, and I don't think the issue was in the execution.

Is the name an "It's Always Sunny..." reference?
    NYSPHophead and jglowe77 like this.
  4. Mikkeller's was not so good. Not very much coffee, or hop flavor/bitterness IMO. Migration brewing here in Portland did one that was better. Tasted like a mocha. Much better coffee flavor with a decent bitterness in the end.
    I am always willing to try anything with coffee. I will pick one of these up if I get a chance.
  5. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Sounds a bit odd, but I look forward to trying it. Sounds like it could be better than some of their other collaborations.
  6. mocktm

mocktm Savant (365) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

Champion of the Sun!
    KVNBGRY, KFBR392, gjoker321 and 6 others like this.
  7. Something about karate...

I'll give it a shot. All other coffee IPAs I have tried in the past have been very lacking in coffee aroma and flavor.
  8. Not that it's really an IPA but as it goes for Coffee, hard to beat the Bender!!!
    franklinn likes this.
  9. The coffee IPA I've had in the past (can't remember which) didn't have much coffee flavor. Hopefully this beer is a little more coffee forward.
  10. I am willing to pay the troll toll in order to try this!
  11. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Surly does some solid stuff but bender/coffee bender have been two of their biggest disappointments as far as living up to their praise...
  12. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Had an IPA filtered through the ANdall filled with coffee beans (it was at Mekong). Had an interesting green bell pepper vegetal taste. Not my favorite.
  13. pixieskid

14. jorgemir

jorgemir Zealot (95) California Oct 23, 2010

I just picked up a bottle of the Mikkeller Kopi but haven't tried it yet. Hope it's better than described here. Looking forward to the Stone Dayman. Most of their collars are worth a try and some have been excellent.
  15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

He's a master of karate! and friendship!
  16. I'm down. And all hail Charlie Kelly and his lovely ballads.
  17. Those are 2 of the top 4 American Browns according to BA. I think you will find yourself in the minority. Granted, coffee bender doesn't hold up to say a a good coffee stout (FBS, etc...), but it isn't supposed to.
  18. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I need this, if only for the name.

They do need to make a Nightman now...logic dictates it...and such a black and tan must exist at least once.
  19. Sounds gross. And I'm in a place where almost any beer sounds fantastic.
  20. pixieskid

im aware they are merely brown ales but ive had better brown ales that have nowhere near the praise as those 2...
  21. Coffee IPA? Why not just a stout?
  22. Because it's been done to death. I applaud brewers for trying different things and thinking outside the box. I (and I'm sure many others as well) am getting sick of all the "me too"'s out there. How many coffee stouts do you need?!
  23. I liked the Mikkeller Kopi, found the bitter coffee a nice change to an IPA...
    EgadBananas likes this.
  24. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

I hope they'll make a night man next.

CHAMPION OF THE SUN!
    KFBR392 and davey101 like this.
  25. I haven't, but browns aren't really my thing. I'm sure you can chalk up som of the praise to MN pride; 10,000 lakes is nothing to brag about!
    pixieskid likes this.
  26. I'm with you, I've never had a coffee IPA before, just trying to wrap my head around it. That's all.
  27. I definitely have to try it since I never believed I'd see coffee and IPA in the same sentence much less in the same bottle.
  28. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

This doesn't sound good to me at all but I will definitely try it.
  29. Because a coffee IPA won the contest that decided what this collab would be.
    Craigory and Frankinstiener like this.
  30. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Coffee stouts usually bring out the smooth characteristics of coffee, but it also has a bitter side - think espresso. I'll be interested to see if they try to make it work in that way.
  31. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

32. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

aAAAAAaaaaaahhhhh

Coffee IPA sounds very interesting. I trust Stone with anything IPA related.
  33. Kernel here in London did a very good one.
    franklinn and woosterbill like this.
  34. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Wouldn't an IPA with coffee flavor be something like a black IPA? Doesn't sound too crazy to me.

And weird coincidence, I saw that episode of Always Sunny last night for the first time. Perfect timing I guess haha.
  35. Awesome!

I mix coffee stouts and IPAs all the time..lots of coffee..lots of hops..what's not to like?!
  36. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Any info on what states this is coming to?
  37. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

I am pretty excited about this personally, I am a fan of the brewerys involved and the show!
  38. Yes, yes they did. Still one of my all-time favorite beers. It makes me sad for everyone else that I'm the only review. Are they still releasing it with any frequency? I'd love to get more when I visit London again this March.
    franklinn likes this.
  39. They've brewed it a couple of times, I wouldn't call it a frequent release. It'll certainly see the light of day again at some point in the near future.
    woosterbill likes this.
  40. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

The Nightman Cometh

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/769/76012