1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Dayman Coffee IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Ant7780, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

They should make it a super limited release. The rape scene would go really well.
    KFBR392 likes this.
  2. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

So it's a black IPA aka Cascadian Dark? I have had plenty of them and really enjoy the style.
  3. Gritsak

Gritsak Savant (375) West Virginia Jan 22, 2004

You can introduce coffee into beer without it impacting the color. In other words, just because it's a coffee IPA doesn't mean it will be a "black" IPA. I was in Portland last year and one of the most memorable non-sour beers i had was a coffee IPA (made by Migration brewing, IIRC). That's saying a lot for Portland. I've also had Mikkeller Kopi, but it was much less impressive.
  4. Breakfast IPA? Hell yes! Had an Oatmeal IPA by Ouraburos at L.A. Beer Week. It was fantastic. One of the best beers I had that day. Definitely the most unique.
  5. blkhrt

blkhrt Aspirant (40) Dec 10, 2012

Havent seen it here in the AZ yet. Want to try
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  6. Had a fresh 750ml of Mikkeller Kopi this past Sunday....stale after-church percolator coffee came to mind.
  7. DanielNicholson

DanielNicholson Disciple (60) Texas Aug 17, 2012

Love the name, we usually find Stone's cool stuff in TX eventually. Hope this one comes down here too!
  8. jderment

jderment Disciple (65) Washington Nov 14, 2008

Fort George in Astoria, OR (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16077) recently made a coffee IPA called Java the Hop. IMO it was outstanding - looked and smelled like a classic west coast IPA, had great juicy hop profile, but had a really nice coffee backbone that didn't really hit you until the finish. Great stuff if you can still get it. Anyway, I'm sure this Stone collab will be just as good, if not better. Should be interesting...
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  9. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Nope, it's definitely not a Black IPA. It's amber in color, and has one of the most intense coffee / bitter aromas I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. I really dig it.
  10. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

Ha! I actually just homebrewed a Coffee IPA called Java the Hop (and won the People's Choice prize at my local Homebrew Competition.) Mine is a single hop (Nelson Sauvin) session IPA (5.4%) brewed with locally roasted coffee beans. Came out wayyy better than I expected. Any NY BAers wanna give it a try, I'm willing to share a few bombers.
    VonZipper, JxExM, JohnnyMc and 5 others like this.
  11. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (325) New York Aug 23, 2012

peekskill brewery released a coffee ipa... it's really well done, just not for me. hops and coffee don't compliment each other like malts and coffee do, imo.
  12. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'll try it. Really psyched about this one, actually.
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  13. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Mikkeller/To Ol's Overall Coffee IIPA was really good, in my opinion. I actually had it when it was kind of old, so the hops were largely gone but the coffee was really in your face. Tasted kind of like cold-brewed iced coffee.
  14. The Peekskilll Brewery Coffee IPA is outstanding.
  15. Sounds pretty interesting, I look forward to trying it. I'd imagine it'll be similar to Sublimely Self Righteous , with notes of coffee...could be pretty dam tasty!
  16. fmccormi

Except that it's pale. Nothing dark about the beer.
  17. FrankH

FrankH Aspirant (40) New Jersey Mar 6, 2013

I will be buying this for the sweet bottle
  18. Didn't notice a mention of color reading about it. Its just an assumption that if its brewed with coffee it would be dark. Granted , dark IPAs are a contradiction but there are plenty out there.
    Either way , I look forward to tasting how the flavors work together .
  19. I'm hoping to taste the pureness of the roast coffee sans roast malt. I have not been this excited for a stone collab since Green Tea IPA(Which was stellar IMO). Here's hoping Stone's got the volume to 11 on this one boys...
    fmccormi likes this.
  20. fmccormi

This video Stone put out about it is pretty cool, and (go figure) makes it sound pretty good:

And, at the end there, you can see the color of the beer. Looks like a good, reddish-amber, DIPA-ish looking color.
    JohnnyMc, kemoarps, alelover and 2 others like this.
  21. fmccormi

Yeah I was really intrigued by the Green Tea IPA but never got to try it . . . the Stone collab beers weren't making it to my area back then, to my occasional chagrin ("occasional" because maybe half of them really pique my interest).
  22. Thank God for the Odd Years Releases. Plenty of things from Stone to look forward to this year.
  23. fmccormi

Yeah man. I'm not huge on barleywines (most of them just seem repetitive anymore) but the oak smoked Old Guardian is one I would try. Thank god someone's doing something new and interesting with the style.
  24. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (295) New York Dec 23, 2010

25. Nice vid about the collaboration
    dar482 likes this.
  26. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i will try it, of course, but it doesn't sound good to me
  27. Passionate, passionate Nightman!
    Ungertaker likes this.
  28. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Aren't they doing an Esspresso IRS anyway? lol
  29. If you don't want it don't buy it, why complain and whine like a little girl. Waaahhh there doing a coffee stout again wahhhhhh!!!
    FarmingtonRiver likes this.
  30. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Yup...pretty much every coffee stout features either a different base beer...and/or a different coffee...and/or a different process.....so they're all different...and for people who just really super dig coffee stouts...it's pretty cool to have a bit of variety in the mix.....I mean...imagine having only one kind of IPA...or whatever you happen to dig...sounds depressing to me...just sayin'.
    kemoarps and imperialbeerdude like this.
  31. Huh?
  32. Ak555667

Ak555667 Savant (260) Illinois Mar 15, 2013

I scored some today. 2 bottle limit at Two Brothers Taphouse. This was a very interesting IPA. Wonderful black coffee scent on the head of the beer. Poured an nice copper/red. Tasted like coffee and hops. Id recomend grabbing a bottle if you're able to. It sold out at the brewpub today.
  33. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm trying to imagine a coffee IPA.... my gustatory cortex is having difficulties. I AM very intrigued by the idea, however. Not sure if I'll like it or not... but am exceptionally curious.
    kemoarps likes this.
  34. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

It's an awesome IPA with hints of coffee. I'm not particularly fond of two brothers. So I was skeptical of this, but it really delivered.
    jdrum likes this.
  35. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Can't wait for this to come to NYC. Never tried a coffee IPA before.
  36. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

going to try hunting this down this week. i dont even care what it taste like.. the fact there is a dayman beer is enough to make me go crazy over it!! if anyone in MI spots some let me know!!
  37. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Initiate (0) Georgia Mar 8, 2013

Always Sunny is the single greatest show ever to be televised. That's just a straight up fact.
    Czar_chasm and mikeywtc like this.
  38. MC6

MC6 Aficionado (140) Illinois Dec 12, 2008

Had this on Sunday at 2 Bros. Was very skeptical, but i was pleasantly surprised. it was solid. Much lighter than expected. Great coffee smell. Very tasty with hints of coffee. At $8/bomber, can't go wrong.
  39. Nrhurd

Nrhurd Aficionado (125) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

Someone from 2 Bros said they only made 100 cases. I guess 2 Bros got 25 (sold out on Sunday unless they had some stored away for a later sale), Stone got 25, and 50 for distribution.
  40. Interesting, I hope they can pull it off. It would be great if Stone came out with a series of beer inspired by Always Sunny characters.
    kemoarps likes this.