1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Dayman Coffee IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Ant7780, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

I located the last one of these at the Total Wine nearby. Its chilling in the fridge, but as luck would have it, I have to head out of town for several days. This is unacceptable world.

2. First, this beer was very unique in an awesome way. For some reason I thought it would be darker. It tasted very IPAish but still had a definite coffee taste. It strangely worked really well.

Second, Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the funniest shows ever, if you enjoy lots of uncomfortable arguing, which do. Larry David is my hero.

3. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

This beer was awful. Period.

EDIT: A completely disjointed mess.

Rainier and SDJason like this.
  4. I absolutely love this shit. I read the "I could only have one..." reviews so was skeptical but still bought three just to make sure I had adequate chance to try it. It took two sips for me to be hooked. It's so delicious!
    I buy two or three when I see it.

5. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

blah. still looking forward to trying. regardless of the outcome, props to them for thinking outside the box.

6. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

In states that get this where you have to pay a deposit, do you also have to pay the troll toll?

kemoarps, JohnnyMc, joshwars and 2 others like this.
  7. jdrum

jdrum Aficionado (120) Illinois Oct 4, 2010

drinking this now and have to say coffee and an ipa didnt sound harmonious, but coffee is subtle enough in smell and taste and not bitter w/ a good hop presence. at 5.99 i would certainly buy more, but sadly prob. wont be able to.

8. Whatever it takes to get some into this boys hole.

kemoarps, JohnnyMc, scud and 2 others like this.
  9. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

Not a fan of the smell but the taste is fine enough. One is enough but definitely a valuable experiment on their part.

kemoarps likes this.
  10. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I absolutely love this beer, and if it was a part of the year round lineup would have it in stock at all times. I was very skeptical about hops and coffee flavor together but it works very well for me, and the nose is insanely good and unique. Definitely try this beer, I understand some may not like it, but if you do you will love it.

11. KFBR392

KFBR392 Savant (435) Illinois Jul 29, 2012

I thought this brew was incredibly innovative and delicious. Combined Stone's mastery of IPA's with a totally unique touch of coffee. Not to mention its wonderful props to Sunny in Philadelphia (I dont care if they say its not connected).

Also if you are on here bashing Curb, go back to watching Family Guy and leave the real comedy to those who enjoy it.

12. I loved this beer. This is one of the better collabs Stone has done. I really wish this one was going to be available year round, I would keep buying it. Finally an IPA that works for breakfast!

SalukiAlum and SanFranJake like this.
  13. afksports

afksports Savant (410) New York Aug 22, 2010

Anyone remember what they paid on this? Should we be expecting hyped prices?

14. rboinski

I paid 6.50

15. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

6.99 in Ohio..very good beer!

miketd, JohnnyMc and Saviorself like this.
  16. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

I enjoyed it on draft many times and will probably go again to the Two Brothers Round house...I do enjoy living minutes from one of the collaborators...all though all they had to do with the beer was provide the coffee but non the less lots of it on tap minutes away ftw

17. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

That's what you get for microwaving it first

But seriously palates gonna palate, I might say this is the best beer I've had that 2 bros had a part in. Needless to say my expectations were low given 95% of the beers they produce

18. $6.49 in NorCal Whole Foods

19. $6.99 here - tasted just like a Stone IPA. Smelled like coffee - barely even got a hint of coffee.

20. Still havent seen this anywhere in the East Bay. Ask around and no one seems to have a clue when/if its going to come in.

21. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Supposed to hit StL tomorrow. Can't wait to try it

22. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Which one(s)? I've managed to miss out on this at literally everywhere I've been--apparently.

23. I know this is old but Arrested Development >>>>>>>>>>>>> anything. That's just a fact.

24. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

anyone wants my bottle? I thought it was terrible.

25. Tempting...

26. Me and my girlfriend love that show, but it has never made me laugh like Curb has. Curb just is untouchable to me.

27. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

I'm in the same boat. Have one left that I can not bring myself to drink

To me the coffee could not seem more out of place. I could tell there was a delicious, bright double IPA in my glass but it was like someone came along and dumped their stale, iced coffee into it

chanokokoro likes this.
  28. rboinski

I thought it worked but it is not something I would ever want again. It didn't bring any flavors out in the IPA and it didn't bring anything out of the coffee either. It was cool that it didn't taste bad (which I fully expected it to), but it was far from being what I would consider a good idea that should be repeated.

29. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (565) California Jan 23, 2013

Which one have you seen it at and how recently? I love that damn beer.

30. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Anyone in IL not a fan and have an extra, would like to try it here

31. Solid beer. Was worried initially but was blown away by how everything is so well balanced. The bottle is even cool too. one of the better collaborations i have had in recent times. Stone rarely lets me down. Now i need some Espresso IRS to go with my Dayman.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  32. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

My feelings exactly. I was expecting a meh beer at best, especially since I'm not a Stone fan to begin with, but it was really, really good. So good that I finished the whole bomber in less than an hour, when I wasn't really planning on doing so.

33. As recently as Monday at the WF in San Rafael but they're out now and I haven't seen it anywhere else. I know around here their Stone delivery dates are on Thursday. So maybe check today.

34. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (565) California Jan 23, 2013

Thanks. I know that in SF deliveries are Wednesday and in Concord it's Friday. Unfortunately, I think they're done with Dayman.

35. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

This beer was amazing. Totally not what I expected.

36. $7.99 In Greenville SC

And this beer is great, completely different from what I was expecting, huge coffee flavor.

37. Rope

Rope Aficionado (175) Illinois Apr 3, 2013

I hope I can find some of this, if not for the taste... just the novelty.

38. 5.99 in KCMO.

39. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Seems to be the case. I was a day too early at the City Beer Store and a day (or a week) too late at Healthy Spirits (Clement), Whole Foods (Haight), BevMo (Geary & Daly City)... Aside from CBS I just happened to be nearby the rest and figured it didn't hurt to ask. Sounds like came out in limited amounts and went fast. At least in SF!

40. Is this ever gonna hit Florida? We were on the list for distribution but I haven't seen it anywhere. And trust me: I've looked.