1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Dayman Coffee IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Ant7780, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

#Humblebrag

I want to try this already.

2. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i am a coffee snob, and a "hop head" - love coffee and love IPAs

didn't care for it.

3. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Why the " " for hop head but not coffee snob?

yamar68 likes this.
  4. grrrah

grrrah Savant (330) California Sep 21, 2009

Love IPAs, IIPAs, Coffee Stouts, regular coffee, and most Stone products, but not so much the Dayman. It was enjoyable but not something I would buy again in the near future.id rather have an Espresso IRS or a ruination.

FrancisT likes this.
  5. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

I didn't like it, so what are u gonna do about? :)

6. mental1

mental1 Aficionado (165) Virginia Jan 31, 2013

Same here. I liked the first couple of sips, but over the long haul it started to wear on me. I just didn't like the combination after a while and had to labor through it. That being said, the Stone Espresso IRS is money.

7. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

He's fully accepted the coffee snob moniker, but he needs some time to adjust to the obviously derogatory "Hop Head" status.

8. Man, stfu about that spot! That's my down-low place. :)
    You know Chuck, the resident Beer Guy?
    I'll be by there later today for my cursory check-out.

olfolxholme likes this.
  9. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

This is like saying "If you don't like garlic and banana pie, you don't like garlic or you don't like bananas."

Gross combination of flavors imo. I'm glad people like it but yuck.

yamar68, Sneers, ericj551 and 4 others like this.
  10. OR...or! here is a novel thought...

People have different tastes. I love Coffee...and I love hops...and this beer did nothing for me.

11. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I like coffee, love IPAs and thought Dayman was awesome... but I don't agree with your premise.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I don't like most Stone beers so I am not expecting this one to be much different. The Espresso IRS is great, though.

13. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

If you don't like Stone Dayman... that says nothing useful about you other than the fact that you don't like Dayman?

14. Seems like a good beer for a long walk naked in the sewer or maybe a cool refreshment after a night of playing Nightcrawlers. How much is it running Id like to make sure I have enough money to pay the trolls toll to get into the boys hole.......SOLE!...SOLE!

DISCLAIMER: This beer drinks best out of a sun tan lotion bottle ,do not use glassware

15. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Haven't tried it yet, but coffee and IPA just doesn't sound good to me even if I do love both. I will certainly seek some out to try it though, something new.

16. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

I LOVE high quality coffee, straight espresso, macchiato, etc. I also LOVE IPA's. That does not mean that they go together, and furthermore the nuances of each are entirely cancelled out when used in this beer. In stouts the chocolate character or nutty characters in certain coffees used in the blend can be emphasized. I cannot think of a tasting note in coffee (other than the fruity acidic flavors) that can lend itself well to the flavor profile of IPA's, and the citrus characters in coffee are so delicate that they are hard to pick out when drinking espresso alone unless you are cleaning your palette with seltzer water between sips, at least for me. I really don't see where this beer was going. I did not think it was bad, but I didn't like what it did to either the coffee or the IPA.

17. mnstorm99

Good analogy. But, just like this Dayman, if someone said they made banana pie with garlic I would probably try a piece.

olfolxholme and MrDave like this.
  18. I couldn't care less who else does or doesn't like it because Stone brewed it Just For Me. It's a dry run for what I will be drinking when I get to heaven.

BMitch likes this.
  19. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I commented before that I liked the IPA side of it more. I love coffee, but I love it more when it's really hot and dark. If you take coffee, water it down severely, and get it cold, it's basically the flavor note in dayman. The IPA aspect of it was enough for me recommend the beer, however.

20. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Absolutely. But would you call other people out for NOT liking it? I doubt it.

21. mnstorm99

That's why I liked the analogy :);)

Brew33 likes this.
  22. Sam_Frank

it's like saying "if you don't like this beer ( http://draftmag.com/beereditor/extreme-beer-edition-elephant-dung/ ) you don't like elephants and you don't like coffee"

23. Sam_Frank

ha. i think you're partially right

Herky21 likes this.
  24. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (575) California Jan 23, 2013

yes, please?

25. I really enjoyed the Dayman. I thought it was a good twist on the IPA. I could see people who don't like black IPAs not enjoying this one though. I prefer this to some other experiments I've tried (smoked, Belgian yeast, green tea).

26. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

I disagree with john goodman:

I applaud thinking outside the box and enjoyed this beer.

27. Drinking my one and only right now. It really is what it says it is. For what it is, it is great, but I'm not sure I am a true fan. However, I got a 5/17 in my fridge, so I don't care.

28. jimmah120

jimmah120 Savant (355) Minnesota Feb 21, 2012

I bet this guy's a huge Dr. Who fan..

29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I love Doctor Who... CYE... and The Office...

That said, I did start watching back in the PBS days with Tom Baker. :)

ON TOPIC. I was able to snag 1 bottle of this on Monday and it felt like a sting operation trying to find even the one. All of Austin only got 10 or so cases. I heard Houston got 15.

30. Pecafaced

Pecafaced Savant (280) Maryland Dec 16, 2010

I thought this beer was all right. I was impressed at the subtlety of the coffee flavor and aroma, just enough to know it was there without being offensive. I was skeptical, but they did do a nice job of blending the hops and coffee. Certainly not an A+ beer but not bad for the price.

I'll be interested to see how their coconut IPA turns out.

31. still have not seen dayman on LI NY?

1Sundown2C likes this.