1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Double Dry Hop IPA = Old Enjoy By IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by joshclauss, Oct 27, 2012.

1. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Freshcraft right now lists a beer (that I'm having now and enjoying) that is a "Stone Double Dry Hop IPA" at 9.4% ABVzes. I'm not one to post conspiracy theories, but the only Stone double IPA listed at 9.4% on Untappd is Enjoy By. Should I assume this is Freshcraft's slick way of selling a leg that otherwise has a name putting it past it's due date? If so, pretty smart, plus the beer is still really good. Perhaps it's coincidental, and I would expect all kegs of Enjoy By to have come and gone well within time, but I guess it's possible a keg got lost and found after the label date. Does anyone know if CO got kegs of the September-dated Enjoy By to draft accounts? Because the batch CO got in bottles was November-dated, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to change the name if it was that batch.

Anyway, regardless, I should point out - if this is old Enjoy By, then it's still really good.

2. Enjoy by isn't even 3 months old yet and Stone's hoppy beers hold up better than most. I'm not surprised its still drinking good if it is really Enjoy By.

3. Correction, around 3 months old give or take

4. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I work at Freshcraft and It's a completely different beer than Enjoy By and still extremely fresh it's also only 7.7% and not 9.4% so I dont know if you misread the board or not but its def a different beer. As far as I know we tapped and kicked all of our enjoy by already, but who knows.

And the Enjoy by expiration date is 11.9.12 not 10.27.12. Stone isn't rereleasing old enjoy by under other names either.

ArrogantB likes this.
  5. Knownfactor

Stone is also only releasing Enjoy By in 2-3 markets each batch...we got the 2nd run. 1st batch went elsewhere.

6. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I know the Mayor up here in FC currently has Double Dry Hopped Ruination on tap....I'd guess that's the beer also currently on tap at Freshcraft?

7. Knownfactor

It also coulda been a typo on the paper draft list. We currently have DDH ruination. Either way

8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Star Bar had Double Dry on tap during GABF. T'was 'lish-us

9. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

@Knownfactor totally cool. I was postulating, not accusing. The beer was awesome, as I said. Freshcraft is a great bar. Good for you for not only sticking up for your bar, but also for setting the record straight on this beer. By the way, your bar menu lists this beer at 9.4%, which is one of the big reasons I speculated. It does not say 7.7%, which is the ABV of Ruination, and that would have made a ton on sense, but the menu listing was 9.4%, the same as Enjoy By. I realize these things are not easy to manage. This is WAY LESS about Freshcraft and way more about the pratfalls of having a beer named for a date it should be consumed by. In hindsight, my biggest mistake was posting the name of your bar in association with the post. My bad, beer was great.