1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA Released

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

ESCONDIDO, CA (Jan 2013) – Stone Brewing Co. is unleashing another round of the groundbreaking, devastatingly fresh beer, Stone Enjoy By IPA. Earlier today, Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA was bottled and kegged, loaded onto delivery trucks, and is now heading to Stone fans in Arizona, Northern California, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, and Washington, D.C.

Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA features a massive hop profile of balanced bitterness and dryness, thanks in part to the 11 different hop varieties used throughout the brewing process. The "Enjoy By" date printed on each bottle reflects a 35-day package-to-consumption cycle, meaning that to fully experience the beer's hop glory, it must be consumed by, or preferably well before, the end of the 35-day cycle. And Stone is making sure it will be! On February 16, if any beer remains on the shelf, it will be immediately removed.

"We continue to receive nothing but great feedback about Stone Enjoy By IPA," Stone CEO and co-founder, Greg Koch said. "Our fans have spoken and they want beer that's fresh and full of flavor. We've been able to continue to offer this devastatingly fresh IPA to fans that have requested the beer in their city, and we look forward to sending it to other markets in the future."

Where can one locate this incredibly fresh beer? Visit stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/ and use the interactive map to find exactly which retailers, restaurants, and bars are carrying the beer in bottles or on draft in select states. If it looks like Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA isn't at a nearby location, don't fret. Stone will release rounds of this beer to other markets in the future.

Having released Stone Enjoy By IPA three times before, it's no longer a freshness experiment – it's a groundbreaking way to enjoy beer. A novel idea at first, this beer changes the way Stone and its distributors work together to get fresh beer out to the clamoring public. And the public is clamoring. Stone is measuring "buzz" for the beer through the company's social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the Stone Enjoy By IPA website. Based on the interactions, Stone has vowed to bring the beer to the locations that voice their interest the most.

Hopheads are encouraged to use the following hashtags on Twitter and Instagram to request the beer's return to their city, or simply preach the sheer awesomeness of this fresh IPA:

Arizona: #EnjoyBy #AZ
    Idaho: #EnjoyBy #ID
    New Mexico: #Enjoyby #NM
    Lake Tahoe: #EnjoyBy #LakeTahoe
    Oregon: #EnjoyBy #OR
    Philadelphia, PA: #EnjoyBy #PHL
    Pittsburgh, PA: #EnjoyBy #PITT
    Sacramento, CA: #EnjoyBy #Sacramento
    Virginia: #EnjoyBy #VA
    Washington: #EnjoyBy #WA
    Washington, D.C.: #EnjoyBy #DC
    All engagements may be viewed in real time at the Stone Enjoy By IPA website, http://stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/.

Name: Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA
    URL: stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/

Stats: 9.4% ABV, 88 IBUs
    Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning January 11
    Hops bill: Calypso, Super Galena, Simcoe, Delta, Target, Amarillo, Motueka, Citra, Cascade, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, and Australian Galaxy
    Distribution: AZ, CA, DC, ID, NM, OR, PA, VA, and WA

Tasting Notes, provided by Brewmaster Mitch Steele
    Appearance: Golden with a creamy white head
    Aroma: Intense dank hoppiness, resin, peaches and hints of tropical fruit are all evident in the aroma.
    Taste: Smooth malt up front, quickly dissipating into a massive onslaught of hops. The dankness and peach notes come through strongly.
    Palate: Smooth with hints of alcohol, and a perfect balance of bitterness and dryness on the back end.
    Overall: We took the opportunity with this beer to use several interesting techniques we've learned during our many years of brewing great double IPAs. The result is an intense dry beer with very little malt sweetness, but with plenty of malt flavor to provide a background to the enormous...or shall I say "ginormous" hop character. Hopping, as might be expected, was over the top. First, the brew was mash-hopped with Calypso, a beautiful fruity hop that we also used in our Stone 16th Anniversary IPA, after which we kettle-hopped with a very small dose of Super Galena hop extract for bittering. Then, using a technique known in homebrew circles as "hop bursting," we loaded up very heavily on the flavor hops at the end of the boil and in the whirlpool. Simcoe, Delta, Target and Amarillo were used in the late kettle hop. Motueka, Citra, and Cascade were used for the whirlpool hop. As you can clearly tell, this beer was super hoppy even before we dry-hopped it, but then we went for it...dry-hopping with one pound per barrel EACH of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and Australian Galaxy. Drink extra-super-dank-and-tasty Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA well before its 35-day shelf life to maximize the pungent glory that this beautiful, intense hop profile provides.

Suggested food parings, provided by “Dr.” Bill Sysak
    Appetizers: Guacamole, kimchi, salt and pepper shrimp (or tofu), sausage-stuffed jalapeños
    Main course: Chicken-fried steak, Merguez sausage, gumbo, chile relleno, Thai drunken noodles
    Dessert: Carrot cake, peach cobbler, ginger spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake
    Cheeses: Parmigiano-Reggiano, extra aged Cheddar, Rogue Creamery Caveman Blue, Mimolette
    Cigars: Alec Bradley Trilogy Authentic Corojo, Altadis U.S.A Edición Limitada, Camacho Select

ABOUT STONE BREWING CO.
    Twice named "All-Time Top Brewery on Planet Earth" by BeerAdvocate magazine, Stone Brewing Co. was founded in 1996 by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner and is the 11th largest craft brewer in the U.S. Headquartered in Escondido, CA, Stone owns and operates the farm-to-table restaurant Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Escondido, as well as Stone Catering, Stone Distributing, and Stone Farms. Other lofty ventures include construction of Stone Packaging Hall and a second restaurant with an on-site brewhouse, Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station, both with an estimated completion of first quarter 2013, and Stone Hotel & Headquarters with an estimated completion of 2014. For more information, please visit stonebrewing.com or on social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, and The Stone Blog.

##
  2. How 'bout MD, Stone?
  3. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Finally coming to WA! Already got one on reserve.
    Rutager and bifrost17 like this.
  4. It will be here on Thurs. I will be getting some then.
  5. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

Bay Area release?
  6. How much do these usually sell for?
  7. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

are all these enjoy by beers the same recipe?
  8. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Just drive to D.C.
  9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

5.99-6.99

Or about abou the amount IRS and old guardian sell around you.

Worth every penny
  10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I wish it were coming back to Texas... and it was just here. :(

Outside of sitting at Alpine drinking a beer at the brewpub, the best West Coast beer one can buy fresh.

Supposedly we're getting it again in March because we completely obliterated their #EnjoyBy #TX social media challenge.
    cwreay90 likes this.
  11. really...We need it back in MA
  12. I'm actually really upset they didnt ship to NJ again. I have the first two releases and they were great. But alas, i suppose other states can share :)
    ESeab and SoggyCoasters like this.
  13. noahfree

noahfree Zealot (75) California Feb 18, 2011

14. I'm looking forward to doing a vertical of these....

What? Why are you looking at me like that?
  15. I drank one of the 12.21.12's in Boston last month and loved it. I wish Stone realized CT exists and is, in fact, a state.
    smutty33 likes this.
  16. Already got the road trip planned for after work tomorrow. Got an hour drive to the closest place in Pittsburgh.
  17. Nice press release, but this isn't exactly a 'groundbreaking' idea. People have been slapping 'Enjoy By' dates on their beers for as long as Ive been drinking. All they did was make the 'Enjoy By' the focal point of the beer. That said, I missed the first two releases. I might have to give this 3rd one a go.
  18. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I'm thinking you do not feel tongue-in-cheek.
  19. Well, it is good beer. Besides from the whole marketing gimmick of it all.
  20. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

#Idaho? Sweet!
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Any Seattle sightings yet? This one has been on my radar for a while.
  22. blkhrt

blkhrt Aspirant (40) Dec 10, 2012

Suppose to be in Arizona today but its no go. Guess I will not be drinking tonight...
  23. If I'm not mistaken, this is the 4th time around for this beer.
    Brewzer1010 likes this.
  24. ^ You are correct, Buddha
  25. yeah, SoCal (besides the Stone Stores) has only seen it two times. First and third. The second time only had growler fills.
  26. no Stone love for CT :(
    smutty33 and audioserf like this.
  27. Second or third. Maybe two fifty.....
  28. Dobby

Dobby Aficionado (140) California Jan 30, 2011

Glad to hear they are doing this. On a couple recent trips to the store yielded a bunch of stone beer that was a week after its "best by" date...

29. Where in Spokane is it coming to?
  30. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

It's not, at least as far as I know, but I've got someone holding one for me back home when I go back there in a couple days.
  31. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Need some in Detroit.
  32. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Stone knows that CT is the part of Rhode Island that Rhode Island was embarrassed about and cordoned off. Dogfish Head is raging against that machine, apparently.
    And I would like Enjoy By to hit Massachusetts again. The end.
  33. is each enjoy by batch the same recipe?
  34. Now that's a hop bill! Why not to Illinois? i NEED this for the Super Bowl, dammit! ISO
  35. uvm2003

uvm2003 Savant (310) Pennsylvania Oct 1, 2006

Finally, this made its way to Pittsburgh - grabbed and crushed a bottle tonight. Damn, it's fucking delicious. Well done, Stone.
  36. Where did you get it at and how much was it? Thanks Cheers!
  37. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I got a growler on release day (I just happened to be in San Diego that day) and it is great.

[​IMG]

Stone Brewing Enjoy By IPA 02.15.13. 9.4% ABV. Just released today, the freshest possible IPA. The freshness is obvious in the nose. Pine, mango, grassy notes, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, tangerine and just a hint of caramel malty backbone. The taste is the same, almost exactly. Mango, papaya, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, caramel, grassy, orange, cantaloupe and tangerine. Medium body, sticky, resinous mouthfeel and just the right amount of carbonation for an IPA. This is a great beer.
  38. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (420) New York Dec 14, 2012

just a heads up I would call wherever you're going first, because last time I tried calling all the supposed places to have it on the ENJOY BY website and half of them never heard of it and/or never got it
  39. Hard to find this beer in Florida.. :(
  40. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Philly area is getting BUTT LOADS of this stuff, just checked the map!! YAYYY!!!
    Beerpharmer likes this.