1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Enjoy By 04.01.13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by shamrock071521, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Gameover170

Gameover170 Savant (285) Indiana Feb 8, 2013

Not a big fan of emoticons

2. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

:p

Premo88 likes this.
  3. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

:eek:

4. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Those bastards better add VA to the list!

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  5. Amen. I live basically on the border of VA and NC and the specialty beer stores out here get very little being the distro is based in Raleigh... The Enjoy by IPA finder on the site shows how few and far between it is out here. But shit VA , the stores are like 15 minutes away from each other at best. Hampton Roads anyways.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  6. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

pun intended?

7. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Heady Topper is $3 for 16oz. You couldn't be more wrong.

TheBeerShop and nc41 like this.
  8. Rainier

I thought it wasn't as good as pliny. So I guess it's not as good as heady.

9. willbm3

Haven't had Pliny...got some coming in next week. I thought 4.1.13 was damn good but if we're talking price point I don't see how you can beat Heady. I've bought FAR inferior IPA's for more than $3/12oz, nevermind 16oz

Rainier likes this.
  10. Rainier

If you have access to Lagunitas sucks, it's really good. 6 pack for $12

TheBeerShop likes this.
  11. willbm3

Sure do, and it's damn good. :)

12. Blacktooth

Blacktooth Aspirant (30) California Feb 20, 2013

NELSON!!

13. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Agreed. might be best value out there. In fact i got my last 4 sixers for 9.99. Compare that too gandhi bot at 15 a growler, lunch at $7 for 17oz, and Stone 22oz for $8. I will take the sucks all day long.

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

4-1 isn't close to taste profile as Pliny, it's actually a very different animal than any other DIPA I've ever had. Never had a brew with a Muscadine grape kinda twist at the finish, very cool you can get Hops to so many things. $7 bucks here in Nc, and long gone, was on tap at the MM in Gso.

15. You are correct, sir, but for me to get Heady Topper in NC requires a trip to VT, a trade, or some generous friend sharing.

16. tuka

tuka Aficionado (195) New York Apr 17, 2012

Had it on tap at Croxley's in Smithtown on March 7.

TychoNDC likes this.
  17. KenGriffith45

KenGriffith45 Zealot (90) New York Sep 16, 2012

Just got a 32oz. growler of Enjoy By 4/10/13 from one of my local spots, and I gotta say - WOW! Thought you guys were overhyping it, but I sit corrected, sipping on some, right now! Very, Very , Very Good Stuff! Thank You, all for making me curious ! (Now I have to go back for a few bottles of this, tomorrow)

jrnyc likes this.
  18. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Had two bombers of 4.1.13 last week and have two more waiting in the fridge (in Bryan, TX) ... *and* I have the option to try it on tap tomorrow in Houston, TX.

Considering my very limited craft beer-drinking experience, Enjoy By is as good as anything I've tried. But I've two questions, and if I missed the answers in this thread, you can shoot me:

1. What *is* the hype on this beer? (i.e., Is it supposed to be better than the Plinys and Heady? As good as those? Or just so different and unique that I shouldn't miss it?)

2. How lucky am I to find it?

I ask No. 2 because living here in Bryan-College Station, TX, it's damn near everywhere it seems, which confuses me. How hard could it be to find if it takes me a five-minute drive to buy 10 bottles if I want?

19. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Cost me $12 at a bar. Unless you want to pay for my plane ticket to Vermont, I wouldn't consider Heady Topper only $3.

20. willbm3

And 22oz of Enjoy By would run you like $25 at a bar.

21. willbm3

1. The "hype" is that it is guaranteed to be super fresh. It was bottled on 2/22 so as long as you drink it before 4/1/13 it will be less than 35 days old. It's not supposed to be anything other than a super fresh IPA.

2. You're pretty lucky, although this release had pretty wide distribution. If you like it and can still buy some I would since they've already made it and aren't making anymore (at least until another release which you may or may not get). Maybe people there don't like good beer or don't know about it? It sold out in a few hours here

Premo88 likes this.
  22. Rainier

IMO, not better than Pliny. It's a totally different taste profile IME. I think it's up there.
    I think there's hype because it's really fresh and it's by stone, one of the best breweries in America.
    It's very unique. I've never tasted anything like it with the same style (Double IPA)

Premo88 likes this.
  23. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (285) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

I have two bottles waiting for me at my girlfriend's place in MA when I come home from school on the 20th...I'm sure it'll be tasting just great only 11 days away from "expiration." I cannot wait!

jrnyc, Premo88 and Rainier like this.
  24. Premo88

Thanks for info! and thanks to Rainier, too ...appreciate the help.

It's good to hear the taste profile of Enjoy By is different from others. I keep seeing that on this thread, and it's good news because it gives me more to try, more tastes to learn.

Part of why I ask is a fear of gushing over what isn't worth gushing over, because I must admit: Enjoy By is awfully damn good.

Rainier likes this.
  25. Rainier

Yeah, my first sip of the enjoy by, I was like WTF! it doesn't taste like pliny. But I after a few more sips, I started liking the different flavor profile.

But nothing still beats sucks and pliny IMO

Premo88 likes this.
  26. willbm3

It's worth it...it's got a 97 overall rating so you're not the only one who thinks that

jrnyc and Premo88 like this.
  27. Premo88

right ... and the for-sure 35 days or better of freshness is cool.

How different might that number of days be for the average beer? When I buy a bomber or six-pack of whatever standard beer, how much older is it on average? Most beers don't have born-on dates.

28. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Depends on the brewery. When I buy hoppy beers, I definitely look at the born on date.

Premo88 likes this.
  29. Premo88

something I need to get in the habit of ... all beers should come with a "born on" date in as big of print as the "enjoy by's" 04.01.13. can't miss that.

jrnyc likes this.
  30. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

This is a great beer. I had the 2/15 on 2/15 and it still tasted great.

Enjoy!!

31. Enjoying it right now world class dipa

FarmingtonRiver and jrnyc like this.
  32. rob2indy

rob2indy Aspirant (35) Ohio Feb 24, 2013

Just curious - did you ever get HopSlam? I am obviously a newbie to the Craft Beer world, but my first introduction to a hoppy IPA was a few weeks ago when HopSlam hit the Cincy area. Based on a co-workers recommendation I grabbed 4 cases at various outlets. I was blown away by this beer. In hindsight I should have kept it to a case as I have "discovered" quite a few more very enjoyable IPA's.

Still waiting to find sucks, pliny, and heady. No luck yet.

33. Ha! You guys have the best beer to drink!

34. Rainier

No I haven't tried it yet. I wish I can though soon. I have 2 bottles of sucks and maybe someone can trade me 2:2

35. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Holy crap, they are really pumping this stuff out! Between trades and local distribution I have gotten every batch ( yes, I am a Stone fanboy). Wondering when I will end my streak.

36. As a proud PA guy, at first I was all "WTF"... But I get it. We get everything in Philly, so I'm ok with the decision ... Esp since I'll be in CA next week :).

37. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (285) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

That's good news. I'm getting even more impatient for my Enjoy By!

38. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Only one chain got in where I live. Ran out that day, I couldn't get there til the next morning. Not happy.

39. I can relate. I got lucky and was able to reserve a couple bottles on my credit card, and that store was 1.5 hours away. Only takes 3-4 hours to sell out around here :/ good luck to you, I hope you're able to get ahold of some.