1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Enjoy by IPA: 12.21.12 coming to MA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jamvt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BeerBum

BeerBum Aficionado (235) California Nov 13, 2012

Craft Beer Celler got their shipment earlier today. I happened to be in the store as it was arriving!

2. This. So much this. LW blows CBC away price-wise.

3. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

Is this the same Liquor World that's in Franklin? I've past by the location a few times and never stopped in.

4. But you can buy a single of ANYTHING at CBC, and the prices aren't as bad as Downtown (but LW is still cheaper).

5. No, we're talking about the one in Porter Square in Cambridge.

6. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

I meant passed, not "past"...need more coffee.

7. The coffee/beer cycle is a vicious one.

BostonHops and pagodayea like this.
  8. Ended up driving 45 miles to this place, because no one one the South Shore said they'd have it before Friday. Quaint little store, wish I lived closer.

They had 2 cases left when I was there an hour ago, so I doubt it will make it through the day.

patrickcmcd likes this.
  9. For sale at Blanchard's Allston, $8.75. It's in the cooler, not on the shelf (as God intended).

FarmingtonRiver likes this.
  10. Social wines in southie just posted on facebook that it was just delivered.

11. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Having one now, not really enjoying it that much. Wondering what other people think.

12. Yup, Blanchards in Allston still has it as of an hour ago or so. They only got 2 cases (put out last night), but haven't sold many bottles so far. No limit, so once word spreads, it won't last long.

13. tell you in a couple hours when i get out of work. it's interesting, seems there are scores of people who are crazy about this one, but i'm also hearing a number of dissenting opinions. what about it don't you like?

14. jomobono

The after taste leaves me with this dirty taste in my mouth. It tastes like dirt, not the kind of bitterness I like in an IPA and I am missing the citrus.

15. Picked up 2 bottles from Gaspbarro's on RT 1 in South Attleboro MA yesterday. Limit of 2 per customer.

16. huh. well, having mine now and i have to say, for my money i find it pretty fantastic. maybe not world class territory but a solid A... actually getting quite a bit of citric and tropical hops, secondary notes of pine and sweet malt... bitter... definitely some dankness to it. well, anyway i like it :) (incidentally, kudos to stone for having a beer bottled five days ago in my glass in boston tonight.)

Horbar and FarmingtonRiver like this.
  17. jomobono

Found out the problem: I was starting to get a cold and it messed up my palate.

18. dfecteau

dfecteau Savant (405) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2009

Picked up 2 bottles at Julio's. Really great stuff!

19. BeerBum

I quite enjoyed my bottle. My main negative was that I definitely got a bit of a pungent onion smell on the initial pour, however this sent mellowed as the beer warmed up. Good strong hoppy flavor and a really beautiful color to the beer. Overall I thought it was a fine IPA, but I'd be hard pressed to give it an A. However, the fact that it was bottled in California on Nov. 16 and in my glass (in Somerville MA) by Nov. 20 is really pretty cool.

Does anyone know it this is the same "Enjoy By IPA" recipe they used for that last few batches.

20. My understanding is that it is.

21. Granite in Weymouth has about 6 bottles left from what i saw today. 1 per person limit, of course.

22. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I picked up 2 bottles at The Spirited Gourmet in Belmont yesterday. They had 4 or 5 bottles in the cooler.

23. BeerBum

Cambridge Wine and Liquor had at least a case left when I was in last night

24. Boto

Boto Advocate (575) Connecticut Apr 26, 2003

Seems like everyone has missed their joke at Stone. 12-21-2012 is the supposed end of the world on the Mayan calender.

http://news.discovery.com/history/maya-long-count-calendar-end-date-120629.html

25. its meh nothing special...but then again i have been drinking HT,HF and lawsons all week, so it might be more that then anything.

26. BeerBum

@omniscientcause I'm gonna have to agree. I opened another bottle tonight and thought it was a quality above average DIPA. Solid fresh hop flavor and good aroma. However, when tasted earlier this week with HF's Abner and Heady on the table it really didn't compare. Still, it was an enjoyable drinking experience and I'm glad I gave it a try on its own.

omniscientcause likes this.
  27. The Rattlesnake on Boylston just tapped a keg about 15 mins ago. I had a bottle last week, and yeah, this beats it. As others have said, not the greatest DIPA ever, but damn close. Lives up to the hype.

28. I was actually underwhelmed with it... Thought it didn't match its rating at all and seemed a bit tame. I appreciate subtlety and elegance in beers, but for a 9.4% DIPA from a brewery like Stone I expected more. I'll let you all have the rest :)

29. I heard this may make another go-round in Boston next week. If I can get 1 without too much hassle & try it - fine. But I won't lose sleep over a beer I could theoretically love & only get 22 oz of.

30. Alll the bottles are sold out. There are a few (3) bars that have yet to tap . Hopefully bottles will return sometime in 2013

Jeff Nelson
    New England Sales Rep
    Stone Brewing Co.

31. What bars , Jeff? I heard Rattlesnake possibly?

32. Rattlesnake and Tip Tap tapped their kegs last night- if you get there early probably a good chance some left
    Sunset is tapping on Sunday ,Deep Ellum any moment now and British Beer Co. in Hyannis today at 5

33. corey0212

corey0212 Savant (330) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

This beer is fucking delicious.

FarmingtonRiver and Horbar like this.
  34. I agree, but would prefer something in the 6%-7% range.
    9.4% or whatever is too much for a 22oz bomber, IMO.

35. I wish to chime in here...and thank everyone including Atlantic Importing and my coworker Jeff for helping get this into the market quickly and our fans for helping this beer to virtually vaporize on its arrival. I was excited to dig into my stash having had the opportunity to try it at the brewery at the last meeting as well as the first release. It was everything I remember. Can't wait to get more in 2013.

G

36. Enjoying another glass, this time at the Sunset, and just wanted to thank Jeff as well. Taking time to keep us posted here, especially in the midst of what must be a crazy time for Stone, is very much appreciated. And I'd be saying that even if this beer wasn't so f'in good. Cheers!

FarmingtonRiver and AdamP like this.