1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Enjoy By..

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by SalukiAlum, Jun 25, 2013.

1. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

We are getting Enjoy By 8/2/13 here next week! Who else loves this beer as much as I do? I will typically drink about 3-4 bottles of this!!
  2. I'm not an IPA fan....except for this beer. I love it. A great beer to introduce a non-geeks to beer geekdom
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  3. SalukiAlum

Stone=IPA
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  4. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Cool that's my birthday ill have to get a few!
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  5. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I personally dislike the beer and the reason for brewing.

Just give me a fresh Ruination or IPA and I'll be happy.

most of their other beers sit on the shelf for a year or more. Don't they care about those?:confused:
    And no, reporting the stale beer doesn't work, at least not in my city.

Stone is masterful at creating hype.
  6. SalukiAlum

I like the fact that their pushing that an IPA should be drank fresh, hence the 30 day 'drink before date'. Maybe that will wake up all the consumers and vendors that don't realize this and force people to date beers, etc. Props for that! Not sure I understand the hate, but to each their own. It's a fuckin solid beer for a reasonable price like the rest of their stuff. Guessing you don't like the RIS, Espresso RIS and SSR either?
    blindpiggie and denver10 like this.

7. There is only so much the brewery can do once the beer is in stores all over the country. And recognizing that, they are creating awareness about the need to drink IPAs fresh by brewing these batches. Don't understand how anyone could view this as a bad thing
  8. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I think this is the best beer Stone makes, I am stoked.
    jrnyc likes this.
  9. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

So stoked Vegas is getting this again!

It was nice to go shopping at Whole Foods and fill up my growler with enjoy by!
  10. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Had one bottle of the last batch I didn't like and then had one I did. Stone is really the only option for West Coast style IPA's in CO (well Pliny shows up sometimes) since Green Flash is always old and stale.
  11. SalukiAlum

I would probably have to agree with you! The first batch back in October was amazing, this last batch (the hard to forget 4/20) was good, didn't wow me like the first batch. But I still really enjoyed it and didn't mind the price point either, and like you said as good of West Coast IPA as we will be able to get.

12. Hop Stoopid?
    joshclauss and heyduke like this.
  13. I think he was either kidding or has a different definition of "only option" or "West Coast style IPA'a" than I do...
    joshclauss likes this.
  14. ArrogantB

I can't remember the last fresh Hop Stoopid I've seen and even then I find the alcohol flavor sort of abrasive.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  15. ArrogantB

Nah, I was serious. Maybe I'm forgetting which West Coast IPA's we have since a lot are never fresh. Bear Republic IPA's are good but are rarely fresh, Green Flash is never fresh, Lagunitas Sucks was good but it's gone. I guess I should have said San Diego style West Coast since I think their IPA's are generally better than most Nor-cal IPA's.
  16. I had one Monday dated 150, what's that, May 30th roughly?
  17. SteelersX

Do you really think that anyone who runs out to buy this beer as soon as it hits the self really needs to be made aware that IPAs should be drank fresh. I think everyone on the hype train knows IPAs are best fresh.

I don't need to be told when to have my beer consumed by. I'll make my own decision based on an actual bottling date. I'll drink my beer when I want to.

Don't forget, on 8/3/13 the beer will be rancid
  18. take a couple deep breaths....
  19. Stone is masterful at creating hype through marketing...but there's no question this is still a solid beer.

You may not need to be told when to drink the beer but it does help keep newbies to craft beer or those not educated on IPAs from buying an old IPA, and it keeps stores from trying to peddle their old stuff to unsuspecting customers.

No question there's hype for this beer but I'd personally love if every brewery put an Enjoy By date (or bottling date) on their beers. Both are essentially the same thing...Stone's just making it easy for people to figure out when they should buy/drink the beer.
  20. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I think the point of this series is for the casual craft beer drink to see this beer sitting on the local shelves, see it is named after a "random" date and potentially question what the deal with it is. Then there's another enlightened beer drinker

And to offer another tasty drink.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  21. SteelersX

Does the casual beer drinker really go out and look for this beer.
    I dont think so.
    It flies off the shelves around here bought by beer geeks that don't need Stone's "training"
    Fresh Ruination blows it out of the water.
  22. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Of course they don't go looking for this beer, that's the point I was saying though. Its when they notice it in the fridge and are confused by its being named after a random date, that they question things.

I know it took me a while before the whole hoppy and fresh relationship became clear and it took discovering this site to be made aware of that. For the million of casual craft drinkers that don't visit the site, this approach by Stone is probably an effective way to wake some of them up to this dynamic. It would have probably helped school me a few years back.
    ablackshear likes this.
  23. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Everyone has their own taste buds, but Enjoy By blows Ruination out of the water, this is coming from a Stone "fan boy". You are also missing the point on the enjoy by date, Stone commitment and the commitment the distributors sign up for is getting the beer to the consumer as fast as possible so we get it fresh.

This is an awesome beer and an awesome concept. Any hype generated is the concept and the greatness of the beer.

Enjoy By > Ruinten > Ruination
  24. SteelersX

Disagree - your chart is probably based on the fact you cant get Ruination fresh.

It's like saying Freshest > Fresher > Stale. No shit

You said it your self - Fan boy - they can do no wrong in your eye so I dont expect an unbiased opinion from you.
  25. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

why are a couple of new yorkers arguing in the mountain forum about a beer from california?

cant argue w/ repping the Stillers though, HERE WE GO!
  26. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

If I was comparing Stone agains another brewery, fan boy bias might be taken into account. But I am comparing Stone vs Stone vs Stone. I have had all three fresh as can be, including Ruination at the brewery in Cali.
  27. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

From someone who works at a craft beer bar/restaurant and has poured both batches of Enjoy By to customers, geeks, non geeks, ultra super geeks. 9 outta 10 were looking for a good IPA but didn't know what Enjoy By was, but after the fact were blown away. Even more blown away when they are told the beer is literally 3,4,5 days old, and the whole concept behind this series of beer. Not only is it to push through the beer as fast as possible and make sure it sells quickly and doesn't sit around (i think every brewery has this issue with meant to be drunk fresh type beers in some markets) but to also educate consumers that fresh is best and to look for freshness dates on bottles and make sure you are drinking these styles of beer as fresh as possible. Yes, great marketing by stone they are selling this beer out instantly with no need for pulling it off the shelf ever usually, but also a awesome concept and an easy way to educate and to influence consumers to ask questions.

Do you say the same thing about your Cheerios, and Hotdogs in the fridge? ILL DECIDE WHEN THESE DELICIOUS HOTDOGS ARE PAST THERE PRIME! WHO ARE YOU BALL PARK!! PFFFT! ;)
  28. Any step towards getting beer drinkers, stores, and distributors to appreciate the importance of freshness is a positive one, no matter one's opinion on Stone, the relative ranking of Enjoy By vs other IPAs, or perceptions of "marketing hype"

I've been in a store and heard an employee tell a customer who didn't know any better the "sailing around Africa" story about IPAs and tell them it will age well. If we can educate just one liquor store employee we've taken a small step forward
  29. SteelersX

An idiotic comparison unless you are saying that drinking an Enjoy By past it's date will make me sick or kill me.
    Oh and so your a bartender.... I stayed at a holiday Inn last night so were even.
    9 out of 10 are beer geeks and ultra beer geeks and didn't know what Enjoy By was??? Hmm

Do a blind tasting then talk to me. that will take the hype and sheep mentality out of the equation.
  30. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

obv a joke dude lol chill out its just beer and no, I'm not a bartender.
  31. Not sure why all the angst about an opinion. So someone has a different palate...or likes a date on their IPA...you're going to go off on them about how dumb they are and think it's going to convince a change of heart?

To each their own. /Thread
  32. SteelersX

I'm Chillin man. I'm actually sipping on a cask Stone IPA with green tea leaves and American goldings. Now this absolutely blows Enjoy By out of the water and it's not even super fresh.
    Knownfactor likes this.
  33. SteelersX

Not my intention. I just think a bottled on date is more important than an enjoy by date.
    I personally think the hype sells this beer.
    Do you think if they put an enjoy by date of 7-25-2013 on an apple brandy barrel aged imperial stout that it wouldn't sell just as fast. It wouldn't hit the self. All hype and rarity.
    The Stone Pale ale and Ruination in my area is a year old. I would much prefer one of those if it were fresh.

That just my opinion.
  34. /Thread now?
    PDawson likes this.
  35. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Seriously. Dude had his say. . . . Can the mountain forum go back to talking about why we like this beer and where to find it? Would that be ok?
  36. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I'm not Greg Koch, but it seems to me one of the reasons Stone did Enjoy By was as a specific shot at distributors of their beers and their friend's beers outside of their own distribution area and the poor retailers in those areas. Here's a beer that you actually CAN'T keep on your shelf (Mr. Deceptive or Negligent Retailer) OR continue delivering cases of to retailers (Mrs. Deceptive or Negligent Distributor), without risking negative perception by your customer or unsalable inventory. If it does anything at all to move the industry forward on this issue, then it's positive.
    Knownfactor likes this.
  37. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

seems to me they wanted to make a great ipa and ive felt that the 2 that hit CO so far met that goal.
    jrnyc likes this.
  38. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (465) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

if this is anything like ruin ten then I'm. all for it
  39. ablackshear likes this.
  40. SteelersX