1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Espresso IRS

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by awdturboiv, Feb 15, 2013.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Member

I tend to watch beer reviews on youtube and they ALWAYS say "espresso bean" when describing flavors.

It's almost ironic saying something that dumb when you claim to know so much about "brewing", ya know.
    ThePorterSorter likes this.
  2. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Member

Damn baristas and your snobbiness. :D
    jahbulon and ChanChan like this.
  3. FriarTuckInLuck

FriarTuckInLuck Member

A local bottle shop of mine still has a couple of bottles...for 12.99 a piece lol.
    ericwa1154 likes this.
  4. bigedct

bigedct Member

I found 6 sitting on the shelf in a Vermont liquor store last weekend, $5.99 each. Needless to say, I now have a six pack in the cellar.
    ufmj and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  5. bigedct

bigedct Member

I must say I'm intrigued. With the espresso and anise flavors, they should have called this one an "Italian imperial stout". Haha! Memories of my father and his cousins drinking espresso brewed in the moka pot with shots of Sambuca in it.
  6. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Member

How do you think they get espresso into this beer.?Is it just espresso beans, cause that wouldn't be any different than a coffee stout with a bean meant for espresso (not a bad thing OBVIOUSLY, but really isn't a unique flavor profile or anything) or do they actually brew espresso and add that. And in that case how would you brew that much espresso, that seems very inconvenient, because you can't really brew espresso in large batches I believe.
  7. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

most of the time they grind the coffee and steep it
  8. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Member

Right, and if this is the case then this isnt an espresso beer, it's just a coffee beer.
    ChugLife and Kopfschuss like this.
  9. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Member

I get you, it is a bit frustrating. Having some familiarity with coffee helps understand this more. I am still excited for this release, but I would almost prefer Vanilla Bean as it is actually a bean lol.
  10. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Member

I have heard of a couple coffee beans at the bottom of a burning shot glass, but straight into the coffee!? Either way, just terrible. I suppose anise isn't for me, unless it is in Pho.
  11. elshaggy

elshaggy Member

TIL that this releases on April 15th. Clever stone, IRS, tax day.
  12. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Member

I'll be looking for this alongside Parabola next week.
    ChefHopMeister and bcm75 like this.
  13. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Lets hope the espresso adds some complexity/balance to a completely un interesting imperial stout...Im down with stone but the IRS isnt a good beer.
    itsiilegal and gameface23 like this.
  14. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Its says it right there on the label...Ryan Bros. Taking a page out of Alesmiths book...
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  15. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

do you usually get stone IRS? it doesn't even come to nor cal....damn distributors.
  16. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Member

What IRS or RIS do you find to be superior to Stone? Just asking as I love Stone IRS.
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  17. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Member

I have found it on occasion around me. I have one bottle in my cellar that I do not plan to drink until I find another...lol.
  18. Herky21

Herky21 Member

ERMERGERD Stone Espreeso Impearlial Russian Stoot! yum
    BleepBloopBlap and ufmj like this.
  19. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Member

only 6 more days....:)
  20. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

Where are you in Nor Cal? IRS is all over the bay.
  21. ChanChan

ChanChan Member

Could stone have possibly meant made with coffee beans that are usually used for the purpose of making espresso? o_O ...hence espresso beans?

I don't know, its just a wild guess.
    Uniobrew31, JxExM and Cee-Poe like this.
  22. MetalMountainMastiff

truckee... of course in cali it's easily ordered all year round, be nice not to order it though. But Most people up here use Nor Cal distributor which they all seem to hate. Hopefully a few craft pubs get it.
  23. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Member

Avery Mephistopheles, Founders Imperial Stout, Old Rasputin, Sexual Chocolate, and those are just ones I've had. I do enjoy Stone IRS though, and can't wait to try Espresso IRS. I hope it's not a huge miss like Oak Old Guardian though!
  24. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

Ah I gotcha. Gotta love distributor drama.
  25. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Member

Same I can still find last years around randomly.
  26. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Member

Stoked on this and the regular IRS as well. I bet the Espresso one will be incredible though.
    Neorebel likes this.
  27. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Member

Don't stop searching... that beer was god damned gorgeous.
  28. Devi0us

Devi0us Member

Maybe it just doesn't show up in Truckee, it hits ghetto ass Stockton Bevmo every year...
    KiMiRaiK likes this.
  29. schnarr84

schnarr84 Member

IN SEARCH OF
    ediaz likes this.
  30. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Member

Yeah, I honestly want's a big fan of it myself. I have some extra bottles in the closet to see if the age maybe has the flavors meld together better but I really did not get any enjoyment out of it when I tried it. I could see Espresso flavor bringing it together though.
  31. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Member

The standard IRS is one of the few big name imperial stouts (and Stone brews for that matter) that I don't care for fresh. However, after about half a year (give or take) I think it's pretty tasty. I'll definitely snag the espresso version to lay down for a half year+.
  32. Herky21

Herky21 Member

Ya the regular Stone IRS is just amazing, no anise flavor. Def my favorite RIS.
  33. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Member

Is this being distributed to Michigan?
  34. atoulouk

atoulouk Member

Can't wait to do a small vertical w this, a regular 2013 IRS, and the 2011 Belgo Anise IRS (2 years later I think it will be much better, we'll see)
  35. nlmartin

nlmartin Member

Hopefully this is better than the Oak Smoked Old Guardian. I had really high hopes it would be good. Havent posted full review yet but Oak Smoked Guardian was just awful. The acidulated smoke killed the base beer. Anyhow, I love Stones RIS and enjoyed the Belgo Anise version. So maybe, fingers crossed Espresso RIS will hit the mark?
  36. MetalMountainMastiff

Yea, like I said, The people up here have told me it has to do with Nor Cal distributor . Which goes to truckee...most of sacramento. etc. Not sure the whole deal.
  37. founder26

founder26 Member

Yes it is already for sale on the west side of michigan
  38. Benish

Benish Member

Disappointing that Stone is not distributed in WI unless someone can tell me they did actually see it in stores.
  39. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

Sweet Jesus this is awesome news! Not only am I snagging a case of the regular RIS but I will be sure to get at least a few bombers on this! Damn I love coffee beers.

BTW Stone RIS is bar far the least anise flavored beer I ever had. So balanced even fresh and aged (had a 2008 once) phenomenal.

Thanks for the heads up I will be on the look out!
  40. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Member

Thanks! Does it cost more than regular IRS. I remember paying around $8 last year.