1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Espresso IRS

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by awdturboiv, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fedssnf

fedssnf Aspirant (40) California Oct 30, 2012

Such an amazing beer, picked up mine at bevmo. Only one case per store but this coming week they should all be stocked up. 5.79 @bevmo in rancho.

2. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

I should've bought a case. So I asked for the price at my local liquor store, and the guy was like "shit, I should've told you first that there's a one bottle limit, but w/e you can have as many as you want this time." So I bought 6 bottles. I didn't want to buy 1 whole case since he only had 2 cases available. It'd be nice if all of you think about other BA's or BA's alike who also wants these guys. Just food for thought. I'm a little drunk so.....

3. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

To get the hype train going (just a guess).

4. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Maybe so that everyone scrambles to buy it up while stores tweet "we only got one case!" and then everyone that missed out the first time scrambles for it when the second wave hits instead of people walking past it because there's a ton sitting on the shelf.

5. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Is this in s. florida yet?

6. CMUbrew and bootdown21 like this.
  7. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

Doubt we'll see this before late May. All of the Stone stuff seems to reach us about a month to a month and a half after release.

8. this beer is bangin, yo.

fujindemon74 and DovaliHops like this.
  9. Not to get the hype train going, but I'm guessing this will take the cake for best release of 2013. And its only April. Fuck yeah Stone.

ressling likes this.
  10. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

It definitely worked with Enjoy By. Take a beer that's extremely easy to make (considering their forte) and could be made year round, give it a comedic gimmicky title that plays into the freshness debate that will never end. Then only make super small batches and ship it to select markets. I get the business side of it, but it still seems like a BMC tactic to me.

iHEARTbeer247 and mychalg9 like this.
  11. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

About 6.50 per bomber here in ATL. Can't wait to try one. Going like hot cakes.

12. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (540) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Tactic, maybe. But Enjoy By truly is an amazing beer at a decent price point! Maybe they will force other breweries to date their IPAs when people see what a fresh IPA is suppose to taste like!

Hoptimus-Prime and dar482 like this.
  13. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Yeah just split my last Enjoy By 04.01.13 with a friend and it still tasted super fresh.

14. Xtent

Xtent Savant (260) California Jan 16, 2013

Bevmo near me sucks, I went in Tuesday at noon and the guy said they would be in next week, not this week.
    An hour later they opened the case and were sold out in 15 minutes.

15. Just scored a bottle in Providence. Excited to try it!

16. gshak

gshak Advocate (500) Texas Feb 20, 2011

I guess it's their payback for all the panning they got for the last odd year's release. But on a serious note, I think it makes perfect business sense to make a smaller release and check the feedback before going full out. Either that, or, they are probably doing it in batches, and were probably targeting their regular IRS for the first wave (since that's a sure moneymaker) and will probably put the Espresso out, once all their IRS has been distributed.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Agree about price point, agree about freshness. Have to disagree with you on the beer. Enjoy By is an amazingly average beer that given low prod numbers and small distribution areas, has a great reputation. I am of the belief that if a far less reputable brewery threw the exact same beer in a bomber for the same price and released it as part of their everyday lineup, no one would write home about it.

mychalg9, Bluecane and MisterBisco like this.
  18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Disagree about the price point as well. $10 for me.

19. Obsidian

Obsidian Savant (315) California Dec 9, 2012

I liked it so much I grabbed another case from the Stone Company Store in Oceanside. $6 per bottle at Stone.

[​IMG]

Schwantz and arniepnminne like this.
  20. gshak

gshak Advocate (500) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Oh you greedy man, you! This, dear sir, is precisely the sort of hoarding tendencies that give the rest of the BA a bad name. Btw, how many more cases did they have left?

tacosandbeer and arniepnminne like this.
  21. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Three case stack just sitting there at Whole Foods. Got 4 bottles.

22. Just picked up a bottle of Espresso IRS and Enjoy By 5.17 in NW Chicago burbs - can't wait to drink them both!

23. Obsidian

LOL, well maybe if I had grabbed it from a retail store, but since I got it directly from Stone I don't think it's bad at all. My buddy grabbed a case as well.

They had at least 30 bottles in the cooler, don't know how many entire cases were left. They told me Stone will be shipping out another batch next week.

24. You should have it first week of May due to a hold up with the state, per TWCP. Must be something to do with coffee/espresso on the label.

25. TWSS

26. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (620) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

Grabbed two each of IRS and Espresso IRS this afternoon. 6.99 each. They were so cold from sitting on the truck all day, the checkout person (a manager) asked if the beer guy was refrigerating them.

27. Anybody having any lukc here in the bay area-east bay? San Ramon Bevmo, was no dice.

28. I'll be the first to complain about price when needed, but 22oz. of RIS brewed w/ coffee for $8.00, shipped from Cali to MA in the same week? Solid price point, solid brew!

Providence and Hoptimus-Prime like this.
  29. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (540) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Wow, this beer is great!! Drinking one right now, good near room temp.

30. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

stone did a great job on this beer because they only slightly tweaked the classic IRS recipe, which is a world class beer.

31. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Agreed. i got my in CT yesterday for $7 and change out the door.

32. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Wow this stuff is good!

33. where the heck do you live in NorCal? Its here in the Santa Cruz/San Jose/San Fran area

34. Excellent beer, got a case, leaving atleast 6 of them in the cellar, I think this will age quite well.

35. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

And I'm just the opposite. Hate, hate, HATE any licorice/anise flavor in beer (or anything else). Love coffee. Love that flavor in beer. Really hope this beer is more espresso-forward.

This is the great thing about the scale of the craft beer movement - there's always something for everyone. One of us will likely love this beer while the other hates it. Whoever isn't enthralled with it will have plenty of other options. Three cheers for beer!

Fluteswell and Thickfreakness like this.
  36. Obsidian

I did not taste any anise in the Espresso IRS ... if it is there it is very understated. Big coffee, you will like it.

37. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Missed out on dayman and the past couple enjoy by releases. Gotta make up for it with this one!

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  38. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Grabbed a couple bottles in Chicago proper. There seems to be a good amount here and no bottle limit. If it's as good as it seems to be, then the availability and price point are almost second to none. This is on par with $9/6pack Sucks.

39. Dan3279

Dan3279 Savant (305) Ohio Dec 21, 2010

Is this coming to Ohio.

40. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I picked up a bottle of this today along with IRS. I haven't tried it yet but it was one of the last bottles. Call your beer stores or go look asap because it's going fast!