1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Espresso IRS

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by awdturboiv, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

No, you should not grab more. Save some for the others that have been looking for it. Maybe even be a good BA and let the masses know where to find it.

imperialbeerdude and jrnyc like this.
  2. Unfortunately never had FBS but this beer friggin blows Lagunitas Cap Stout out of the water. And thats coming from a HUGE Lagunitas fan

3. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

I just tried this beer. I defer to uma.

awesome work my stone friends. awesome

4. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (450) New York Feb 14, 2012

Yes it does! what is up with the distro of the latest Stone releases, so delayed on LI, but hit and almost all gone in NYC... SKI did i right in NYC

off topic, but even Doom is slow to get everywhere on LI it seems

5. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Awesome avatar! Me and my father watched this show when I was a kid, loved it ! Fred G. Sanford!!!!

6. I actually scored a bottle of Doom the other day in Riverhead out east. Not sure if I should crack it of cellar it...

7. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Crack it and enjoy it now. Totally worth it. If you cellar it, I wouldn't do it for too long.

dar482 and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  8. They are def in the original IMO

9. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Man this was solid brew! Definitely needs to be warmed up for all flavors to be present.

10. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

Just got ours in CT on thursday. $6-7 a bottle. Very excited to try this one

11. 2Xmd

2Xmd Advocate (570) New York Apr 19, 2013

Yeah, even some places I checked out had no idea when it was coming to L.I. Found a 2012 Stone RIS but that was it. Was able to score a Doom that I may cellar for a while. Will post if I find the Espresso on L.I.

dar482 likes this.
  12. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

The store I got it from was out of Doom when I got there (wasn't really that interested and didn't plan on getting that one, anyway) but thankfully they still had the Espresso IRS. Very, very good. One of the best coffee brews I've had- it didn't overpower me with coffee and still tasted like a stout. It's too bad there was a limit of 1.

13. If Enjoy By were "extremely easy to make" then there would be tons of beers on that level available all the time... But there aren't... When you home brew a DIPA with even half the flavor and aroma that Enjoy By has maybe we'll talk. Until then I suggest refraining from saying what some of the most talented brewers in the world do is "easy"!

14. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Settle down, I didn't say it were easy for me. But a brewery with the experience and resources that Stone has I'm sure had little difficulty in brewing Enjoy By. Next time you should read a post thoroughly before you respond to it.

Obsidian likes this.
  15. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Disciple (70) Illinois Feb 13, 2013

[​IMG]
    My local Binny's (St. Charles, IL) has had stocked shelfs of both for the last week so I picked up a case of each. I regret nothing.

16. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

My wife and I just did a blind taste test of Founders Breakfast Stout vs S IRS Espresso.

Very easy to identify which is which. FBS has a stronger coffee presence but IRS has a richer body/mouthfeel.
    I'm not sure which I like better but FBS is cheaper.

17. You and me both. Hearing Parabola to hit here next week.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  18. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Giant Eagle Robinson in Pittsburgh has a ton of it. I got a bottle to try.

19. Timceattle

Timceattle Initiate (0) Washington Nov 28, 2012

Speedway
    Founders

steebo777 likes this.
  20. jd18

jd18 Aficionado (130) New York Apr 29, 2013

On the shelves in Pburg NJ today. Free Bridge Wine & Spirits. Some SixPoint 3Bean yet as well for the coffee beer drinkers.

21. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

coffee fades quickly, so you might regret it later unless you plan on drinking them quickly

22. I would say this is the best Odd Year release so far. Both of the OG's were hurt by their respective additions, oak-smoking and Belgo. I haven't had the Belgo-Anise IRS though.

steebo777 likes this.
  23. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Though I appreciate everyone liking my earlier post, this still hasn't made it to my market. Friday afternoon or Monday at the latest!!!! Bring it on!

24. Glutton for punishment?

25. I must confess that I am confused. I would love to try it though, but I have heard mixed things. From what I have heard the rankings would be from best to worst: Espresso, Belgo-Anise (based on word of mouth), and then a tie for Belgo and Oak-Smoked.

26. coffeeguy

I figure I'll end up drinking/trading half a case, and keeping the other half as an experiment. It's probably not going to age quite as well as the standard IRS, but I'd like to see what it turns into anyway. Plus it's the first release of an epic beer, a bottle could be worth millions one day...

27. I thought that the Belgo-Anise was awful, much worse than Belgo or Oak Smoked. I had two bottles purchases at different places, different times, so I know it was an issue with that. To my untrained palate, it was a strange mess of flavors.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Ha, he said "packys."

29. I have never been to a place with a bottle limit.

30. You are one lucky bastard! EVERY store in my area of NJ has a bottle limit on anything even mildly rare/limited, and most don't put them out on the shelves!

31. If Founders only figured out how to sell FBS in 6pk for current 4pk prices,...mother of god.

32. You are correct.

bifrost17 likes this.
  33. I work in a store and obviously had first dibs. Only grabbed 2 of each. One to drink now and one to sit on for a bit. My wallet could definitely use a break from all these awesome releases though.

$5 a bottle, can't go wrong.

34. I would have grabbed two also, but they are $8 here in MD.

35. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

would you mind sharing whatever it is that you're smoking? It must be some good stuff. I love beer just as much as the next BA but if a bottle of espresso IRS actually sells for a million or more US dollars I'll eat my underwear.

36. Cases of it at Costco in the bay, $5 a bottle

brenty0man likes this.
  37. coffeeguy

It's a joke... you know... ha ha ha...

38. Grab me one case!(& send it to the other shore...)

39. jeg518

jeg518 Savant (305) Florida Mar 6, 2013

Damn good beer

40. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Finishing up my first bomber of it right now. So good, as expected. Priced at $5.99 I'll be buying a few more of these, what a steal.