1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Stone Fruit"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MasterCraft, Feb 1, 2013.

1. So I often see stone fruit used as a descriptor in smell/taste of beer. As far as I know this is a term for fruit with pits (cherries, plumbs, apricots, peaches). My question is, to those who use it as a tasting descriptor, does the term generally refer to the dark fruit caracter perhaps achieved by a high lovibond crystal in the grain bill (plumbs, cherries); or is it more reminiscent of apricots/peaches (perhaps from hop aroma or actual fruit addition)?

2. Roeters

Roeters Savant (290) Michigan Jul 4, 2007

Personally, I would say apricots/peaches from a hop/fruit aroma.

3. claaark13 likes this.
  4. I actually wondered the same thing but never thought to ask about it on here! Hopefully we both will get a clear answer =)

5. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I use stone fruit in reviews to describe flavors or aromas like that of pit fruits with light skin or flesh (peaches, apricots, nectarines, etc...). Often it comes up in Belgian pale ales and fruity IPAs.

Squatchito and luwak like this.
  6. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

I would second this motion. I work with wine as well and "stone fruit" comes up constantly. Typically speaking with aromas of plums and cherries those fruits are named specifically.

Etan and beertunes like this.