1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Mixtape Vol. 3 Question

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by GRG1313, Feb 6, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Member

I tried Mixtape Vol. 3 over the weekend at Stone. I forgot the blend, although I know that it is "with cinnamon." Anyone know the blend?

Thanks.
  2. Enish266

Enish266 Member

Blend includes: - 2011 Stone Old Guardian Belgo Barley Wine - Stone 16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Levitation Ale - Dogfish Head / Victory / Stone Saison du BUFF - Stone Cali-Belgique IPA - Stone Pale Ale - Chopped Ginger Root - Orange Peel
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Oh god that looks like a total clusterfuck. With Cinnamon.
    Hatzilla likes this.
  4. GRG1313

GRG1313 Member

Thanks! Now I know why I couldn't remember it!
  5. HopHead84

HopHead84 Member

That looks horrendous on paper. On the bright side, it can't be worse than the newest Vertical Epic, but I still wonder why they blend beers like this.
  6. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

It actually isn't too bad. The Saison and Belgian qualities really come through. It's spicy for sure but not too overly so.
  7. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

WTF is Stone doing these days? They falling further and further off the beer radar with all these strikeouts.
    dcgunman likes this.
  8. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Seriously, I mean, Enjoy By? Ew.
    Ruination 10th? Disgusting!
    Lucky Bastard? Abomination!
    Tieman likes this.
  9. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

top 2 are good beers, the rest (anni's, verts, collabs) are 90% fail. I don't buy stone, I don't miss it and I'm not really excited by their 'latest and greatest' because they have such a high failure rate.

Why buy Stone when I can buy a Pizza Port, Alpine, Societie, Rip Current or other fantastic IPA when I know the rest of the lineup is really good? Or go visit some new startup where they're really trying, and really caring about feedback because they want to make awesome beer. Vs. Stone's corporate phoning-it-in policy.
    domtronzero likes this.
  10. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Stone... corporate?
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Tieman likes this.
  11. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Yes. Don't believe their marketing. It's all about expansion, making benji's, a hotel and more kiosk outlets. The only thing non-corporate is Greg's unwashed hobo look.
    HoppySuds likes this.
  12. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Whatever you say. More beer for me.
    MontereyBay831 and Tieman like this.
  13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Well someone is drinking it. I'm sure they have a lot of VE12 to dump down your gullet.
  14. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

For a brewery of Stone's pedigree, only having a couple great new beers in production in the past year is a little disappointing.

And their price point is a little silly...Ruination is insanely overpriced compared to superior beer like Lagunitas Sucks.
    jp7161 likes this.
  15. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

I don't understand this. Is every brewery expected to put out brand new beers every single year? Are you seriously going to tell me that their year round stuff isn't any good?

Stone seems to be getting that New Belgium thing going on. Get popular, distribute everywhere, and fanboys hate you.
    robL, albertq17 and pinkgrenade like this.
  16. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

The problem is stone puts out so MUCH new beer and the vast majority of it is 'meh'. Their year round offerings are up against all the other year round offerings. Given all the other things they do and how frou-frou most of their pub menu is, I'd rather support the Pizza Ports. Sure they hit a home run here or there, but there are too many misses to get excited about any new offering. I'd rather pass and go hit one of the better joints in town. Hell the craft beer bars in SD rarely even carry stone beers.

It's not hate, its simply wishing they made better beer and stopped focusing so much on expansion, hotels, farming etc...
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Hate is a strong word. I only said I was a little disappointed. I'd be less disappointed if they made more Enjoy By and Ruination 10th.

I cut my teeth on Stone beers like Levitation, Ruination and Arrogant Bastard. Now I know there's better beer out there, and usually for less money.

And MacNCheese hit it - Stone is a corporate powerhouse. They know how to make money, and it's their #1 priority. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as the quality of beer doesn't slip.

Unfortunately for Stone, many of their new beers just aren't up to par these days when compared to the other new beers being pumped out of SD County.
    rrryanc and MacNCheese like this.
  18. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

...and let's not even get into Quingenti Millitre (shudder). WTF happened there?
  19. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

This I can agree on. QM stuff has been bland, and grossly overpriced.
    I'll defend their year round stuff, I get growlers of IPA all the time, but the QM's are just crap.
  20. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Member

I always enjoy the QM series beers! Tiçkers gna tiçk!
  21. jp7161

jp7161 Member

Their best beer of the year was a collab that besides the actual production I wonder how much involvement they had in creating the recipe.

I bought a Red WIne barrel aged VE 12 and drain poured it - disgusting.
  22. Levitation

Levitation Member

levitation sucks
  23. besaunders

besaunders Member

Future Lagunitas/Stone collaboration?
    MontereyBay831 and KevSal like this.
  24. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

I'm not even sure they can legally fill my growler...it has the Mata Way address on it. You know, back when Lee Chase was brewing there and the beer was awesome. Either way, the beer is too inconsistant with their 1-offs to really care about (I loved Highway 78 Scotch Ale, but I attribute that to the other 2 brewers...) or take notice of.

Thankfully Alpine or Pizza Port OB are closer than Stone so my decisions are usually easily made.
  25. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Member

They sell way too much beer for many on this website to not talk shit about them.
    errantnight and albertq17 like this.
  26. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

I don't think it has anything to do with quantity.
  27. drgarage

drgarage Member

Agreed. People never trash Sierra, and they sell a lot more beer than Stone does. The company's provocative attitude, which is often, but not always, backed up by great beer, leads to a ton of derision when they do miss (see: Belgo-Anise IRS).
    jtmartino likes this.
  28. SHODriver

SHODriver Member

In SNs defense they seem to strive for quality above all else. While Stone makes great beers they've let some duds leave that have their name on the label. They're pretty arrogant too. I know that they have their beers down pat but to have your tour guide proudly spout out that, "We've never thrown out a beer but are constantly discovering new styles," is a bit off putting. Then when I asked for clarification she then said, "Well, if it's really off we'll just give it to our employees because they'll drink anything." Really Stone?
  29. errantnight

errantnight Member

This.
  30. errantnight

errantnight Member

Eh, Societe hits high points right there with the best of 'em, but still inconsistent and their Belgians are the very definition of "meh" (nothing wrong, per se, but lacking in good). Stone IRS is better than their version.

At least Stone can bottle beer without outrageous issues containing diacetyl (I'm looking at you, Alpine, where just a couple weeks ago more Nelson was purchased that's all drain pour).

Pizza Port is hardly immune to inconsistency or disappointment.

Stone is pretty great. Are their IPA and "double" IPA up there with the very best of the new wave of IPAs? No. But Enjoy By (and Ruination X) sure was (were). Their consistency and across the board quality of their year round beers is pretty solid.

Do they spend more time doing odd blends and semi-forced collaborations (what is the third brewer bringing to the table in 90% of those?) and expanding their business for some people? Yes.

But let's not pretend that if you were to go to Stone and drink each of the beers they have available on tap it wouldn't be pretty flawlessly brewed and a fine example of the style. The same can not be said for a lot of start-ups that may be making stuff that's a bit more bleeding edge and occasionally spectacular. But isn't that ok?

Why must Stone be all things to all brewers?

Their audience is clearly not jaded craft beer geeks always in search of the latest and greatest craze with approximately zero brand loyalty. And they have a pretty distinctive house character to their beer and a pretty heavy shtick that will turn off others. But I'd contest the assertion that they have a particularly high failure rate as the industry goes.
  31. peteinSD

peteinSD Member

yawn.
    MacNCheese likes this.
  32. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Societe is less than a year old, Belgian styles are difficult to do so I fully expect them to continue tweaking the recipes to dial them in. I'm not a big fan of their Belgian's either...then again, I'm not really a fan of any American Belgian beer. Stone IRS is one of the few solid beers they do...till they started fucking with it.

I was at the pub Saturday, Nelson on draft tasted perfectly fine.

As a regular of PPOB I find their consistancy much higher than the Stone offerings.

Enjoy By was really Good, Ruination 10 was good initially but pretty malty and fell apart quickly. The year-round beers get purchased only when they're the best of what's on tap at a BMC joint...and even then I'm wary because you have no idea how long it's been on tap. The beer bars in SD don't even carry Stone if that's any indication of where they rank in the beer world.

I don't knock startups nearly as much as other people do. "You've been open 2 weeks and haven't made a world-class beer that ALSO gives me a rub-n-tug?! This place is fucking shit!" I avoid Stone like the plague, last time I was there was for the FireStone Walker release, nary a Stone beer was purchased. Before that it was at least a year. I knock stone because they should be brewing better because they supposedly have all this expertise and so many of their one-offs have fallen flat.

I'm loyal to quite a few breweries, just not Stone. Stone does do some amazing things for the industry, but making beer isn't one of them. At least you'll have tons of VE12 to drink.