1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Old Guardian Odd Year 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DanSimonsen, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Stone Brewing Co. Releases Two Styles of Barley Wine

ESCONDIDO, Calif. — Today, Stone Brewing Co. released two versions of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine. As 2013 is an odd-numbered year, Stone is revisiting the “Odd Beers for Odd Years” program which began in 2011.

The program introduces new or “odd” versions of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine and, later this spring, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, in tandem with classic versions of each beer.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine is a strong ale that highlights the attributes of a classic American barley wine – rich malt backbone with an assertive hop profile. The beer pours a burnt amber color with aromas of pine and apricot. Its flavor is rich and malty with a velvety mouthfeel, providing sweetness up front and strong citrus notes in the finish.

The odd year Stone Old Guardian OAK-SMOKED Barley Wine is the Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine recipe tweaked to include oak-smoked wheat malt. The beer pours a deep amber, darker than the original version, and exhibits a faint smokiness in the nose. As with the original, the flavor is rich and malty, but laced with subtle smokiness due to the addition of the oak-smoked wheat malt, which accounts for 20 percent of the grain bill. The flavors blend well together, and the smoky tones complement the beer’s larger-than-life character.

Both beers are ready to enjoy now or may be cellared for several months or years. Over time, the hoppiness of the beer will subside and the beer’s initial sweetness will mellow, transforming the beer into a much different, even richer and more refined brew.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine (Classic Release)

Stats: 11.6% ABV, 80 IBUs
    Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning February 25
    Hops bill: Chinook, Cascade, and Delta
    Distribution: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, and WA

Tasting Notes, provided by Brewmaster Mitch Steele
    Appearance: Deep amber with a creamy tan head and light haze.
    Aroma: A blend of bready yeast esters, toffee malt flavors and citrus hops. Allowing the beer to warm to ~50°-55°F really allows the malt and hop character to come through.
    Taste: Flavor is rich and malty, with a pronounced yeasty ester profile. It finishes with strong citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors.
    Palate: Rich and smooth up front. At mid-palate the beer transitions to a pleasant dryness and lingering hop bitterness with a slight alcohol heat on the finish.

Overall: We make small adjustments to the recipe every year, just a little bit, as it provides an opportunity to try some different hops or malts. This year, the changes were minor since we also brewed the “Odd Year” version, which is a more intense departure from the classic recipe. We kept the Maris Otter crystal malt in the recipe, and whirlpool-hopped with Chinook, Cascade and, for the first time, Delta hops (replacing the Calypso we used in the 2012 version). It’s a well-rounded, complex beer that is ready to drink now, or can be aged at cellar temperature for many years.

Suggested food pairings, provided by “Dr.” Bill Sysak
    Appetizers: Foie gras, lamb lollipops, bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese
    Entrees: Cassoulet, duck confit, venison, boar
    Cheeses: Stilton, Gorgonzola, Maytag Blue, Montgomery Cheddar
    Desserts: Salted caramel apple pie, caramel pecan crunch, sticky toffee pudding, plum-almond tart, Fig Newtons
    Cigars: Dunhill Signed Range Toro, Don Pepin Garcia Lancero, Illusione 888 Churchill

Stone Old Guardian OAK-SMOKED Barley Wine (“Odd Year” Release)

Stats: 11.4% ABV, 70 IBUs
    Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning February 25
    Hops bill: Warrior
    Distribution: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, and WA

Tasting Notes, provided by Brewmaster Mitch Steele
    Appearance: Deep amber with a creamy tan head. The beer has a light haze with a more intense reddish hue than the classic version of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine.
    Aroma: Light smokiness combined with fruity yeast esters and malt flavors. The smoke character is very pleasant and blends well with the other beer aromas, but doesn’t dominate.
    Taste: Flavor is rich and malty. The smokiness is second to the malty sweetness and lingers pleasantly through the finish.
    Palate: Rich and smooth at first, the finish is bitter with a slight alcohol heat and bitterness.
    Overall: We used oak-smoked wheat malt from Germany at 20 percent of the grain bill to provide the smoke aroma and flavor for this beer. The result is a very nice blend of the classic Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine flavors with an additional smoky component that is well-blended and complements the overall character of the beer.

The best way to experience both versions is to taste them side by side, tasting the classic version first, then the oak-smoked version. Going back and forth between the two beers dramatically highlights the differences between them. The hop character of the classic version becomes more prominent, and the smoked character of the odd version really makes it quite unique. Both beers taste great now, when fresh, and will age beautifully for many years.

Suggested food pairings, provided by “Dr.” Bill Sysak
    Appetizers: Quail knots, Merguez sausage, wild boar ribs or any pork ribs, tomato and bacon jam, bacon-wrapped jalapeño shrimp
    Soups: Beef stew, French onion soup, chili con carne
    Entrees: Spanish ham, smoked pork butt, beef teriyaki, grilled portabella stuffed with Point Reyes blue cheese, lamb shoulder
    Cheeses: Beemster X-O- aged Gouda, Berkshire Blue Cheese, Oregonzola, Bayley Hazen Blue
    Desserts: Double chocolate brownies with caramel frosting, pecan pie, oatmeal raisin cookies, coconut macaroons, bacon toffee ice cream
    Cigars: Padrón Family Reserve 85 Years, Oliva Serie V Belicoso, Tatuaje Havana Cazadores
  2. Xtent

Xtent Savant (260) California Jan 16, 2013

There was also the Quingenti Millilitre release this past weekend.
    It is 2011 Old Guardian aged, there is Temecula red wine barrel, Kentucky bourbon barrel and Kentucky rye whiskey
  3. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I am all over this one. Awesome.
  4. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Too much to read in a post. Link?
  5. Damn it, I want these. Anyone near one of their shops that can get a shitton of this?
  6. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

This has come last week, and sold out in GA in almost every location in about an hour. found these at a store Monday... might be able to grab a few more.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  7. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

See, this is why I loved BA.. I read this, noted the release date starting Feb. 25, immediately went to TotalWine.com, saw both versions in stock, ordered them, and will be picking them up right after work. Thanks DanSimonsen!
    MichPaul likes this.
  8. KWMiles likes this.
  9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Old Guardian used to be a great beer. Recent years have not been very drinkable. I hope Stone doesnt sell us another batch of nail polish remover.
    MinorThreat likes this.
  10. Xtent

Xtent Savant (260) California Jan 16, 2013

There is also the Green Flash/Pizza Port/Stone Highway 78 scotch ale
  11. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (300) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

Aww, is reading too difficult on this page? Would it be easier to click a link and read the same info?
    OtisCampbell and Thedrizzle like this.
  12. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I know the regular version showed up here in MO. Haven't seen the smoked yet
  13. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Don't ruin it for me dammit! I've been looking for Old Guardian for awhile, & at least it was only an investment of $5.99..
  14. mmtmatrix

mmtmatrix Zealot (80) Colorado Aug 8, 2007

Just picked up the smoked and oaked as its new news to me, about to crank it..
  15. I had the oak-smoked tonight, and it was quite tasty. I had the 2012 regular release recently as well; I can't speak to how it came off when fresh, but that one was far from "nail polish remover." It was more like a sweet and sticky caramel toffee.

If you like the overall gist of Old Guardian, but find the regular release too sweet, this oak-smoked version should be right up your alley. The moderate smokiness adds flavor while keeping the sticky-sweetness in check.
  16. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

stopped by the store again today, and can access a few more. anyone need me to ship/trade?
  17. Bkoop

Bkoop Zealot (75) Iowa Apr 19, 2012

Drinking one right now. Both amazing in my book!
    Craigory likes this.
  18. Costco in Los Angeles had a huge pile of them for $4.84. A high ABV bomber for under $5, SOLD.
  19. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

sounds great. will grab 1 for now, 1 for a year or three from now.

if they do a smoked malt stone IRS i won't be disappointed, but i doubt they'll do the same treatment twice this time (especially since belgo didn't go over so well).
  20. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

Getting our first case of 2013 barley wine tomorrow (CT). Oak smoked to come to us in may or so I am told.
  21. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

Hey Watsonmd, can you still get bottles?
    Id be interested in trading for one or two. Im from MI and can get practically any MI beer you want.
    watsonmd likes this.
  22. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

OK, you're too lazy to read it here, so you'd like to find and click on a link to read the post elsewhere? ....confused...
  23. I have access to the Oak smoked if anyone wants some as well
  24. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Really loving this beer right now. Like maple smoked bacon with a piney bitterness. Grabbed a few to stash in the cellar as I think it will be f'n awesome once the hop bitterness fades away
  25. t420o

t420o Savant (485) California Jul 16, 2009

The Oak Smoked OG is great, and for the price it's really amazing.
  26. Which location?
  27. Moderate smokiness? It was like an overly piney Eiche from Schlenkerla.
    beerophilia likes this.
  28. los feliz location is where I picked up my couple.
  29. From what my stone rep said it's espresso/coffee IRS this year. Really looking forward to it.
  30. Didn't hit me like the smokiness of a rauchbier. It complemented the other flavors in the beer, rather than eradicating them.