1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Quingenti Millitre Cost

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by moonknight31, Mar 19, 2013.

1. what is the average cost of the quingenti militre beers?

Are they worth it?
  2. riko

riko Savant (250) California Jan 18, 2008

I've only bought two. Both were a hassle -- you had to buy lottery tickets or a book -- and both were expensive and both were very disappointing.
  3. Even the releases where you don't need to buy a book or lottery ticket they are a bit expensive for the quality. My brother picked up a Bourbon Barrel Aged OG for around $20 and it wasn't quite worth the price in my opinion.
  4. I bought one of the barrel-aged scotch ales and thought it was alright, but I did feel the $18.99 I paid at the Stone store for it was pretty high for what it was.
  5. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

$20 ish for a 500mL bottle. I have tried the three easy to get BA old guardians. They are not much better then OG with some age on it IMO.
  6. I tried the BA OG for $20. It was OK, maybe worth the price at $10.
  7. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Had bourbon barrel old guardian. Don't know how much I paid for it.

It was just ok. Could hardly tell it was barrel aged.
  8. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I have purchased/tried many of this series and have yet to try one that was worth $10. Unfortunate.
  9. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

Yea, that one was great :rolleyes: . They stuck it on the shelves when it was 3 months old without bothering to mention it to customers. Someone called them out on it and they grudgingly offered refunds saying "our QC panel said it was great" (the same QC panel that said the Bourbon IRS was good to go, I imagine). Now they have this Enjoy By campaign saying these beers are meant to be drank within a month. Very interesting. It was like the exact opposite of what they're doing with Enjoy By.
    mrkrispy likes this.
  10. What really pricked my balloon was that BA reports seemed to indicate that almost every single bottle was infected. Because Stone agreed to take Bourbon IRS back empty or full, I know that all three of my bottles were wanky. With such an immediately high apparent rate of infection, makes me wonder who the hell QC'd this batch before release. What a debacle and a huge black eye for Stone.
  11. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

The worst part about the BA IRS is I waited for years and years for that to finally be bottled... it is my favorite Stone beer and one of the absolutely tastiest BA stouts in existence... and they besmirched it.
  12. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

because its every breweries dream to release a beer and have it be infected. gotta think in somebody else's shoes sometimes and see another side. at least stone owned up to it and gave you your money back whether you drank it or not. we've all heard the stories of QC issues not being owned up to so at least stone gave you your money back and apologized
    albertq17 and barfdiggs like this.
  13. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

Nothing beats barrel aged Ruination..... Really? That gotta be a "fresh" IPA hahahaha
  14. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

That was only the first releases. Right now you can walk in to the Stone stores and see a few different ones on the shelf. Think there was 5 different ones there today and the same 5 when I was there last week. I can't say whether they are any good or not though. The couple I've had in the past were underwhelming.
  15. I've must have had all of them released thus far except the BA IRS, from various bottle shares and I can't say any of them is even worth half of the $20+ that they retail for.

Save your money for better beer.
    ChanChan and HopHead84 like this.
  16. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

tickers gotta tick though?
  17. 2/3 the size of a 750 yet magically more expensive then some of the best barrel aged beers around
    jasonmason likes this.
  18. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

I wonder if they justify this price by time in barrels? Ruination was 16 months and I think OG was 22 months (!!!)
  19. danwho

danwho Savant (385) California Feb 18, 2010

Best one was the BA Macadamia/Ken Schmidt Porter. Others that I've had are all disappointing, and not worth the price.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  20. It's the cursory Latin markup
  21. Crazy thing is all that time spent in barrels didn't impart much bourbon flavor at all in the BA OG.
    kmatlack likes this.
  22. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

How is/was the BA Cherry Stout they did? Sounded good.
  23. I'm definitely looking forward to IRS aged in bourbon and red wine barrels.
  24. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Hopefully the burred all of the infected RIS in the time capsule
  25. And even that one was good but not amazing
    StarRaptor likes this.
  26. I really wish this series would either be more affordable or worth the current cost. I think there's a lot of potential here with Stone doing large batches of barrel aged beers, but they just haven't been worth the cost so far.
  27. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

Are they doing big batches in barrels though? And do they plan to do so? It doesn't seem like any of the releases so far have been what I'd call big, even by the standards of barrel aged releases. If they planned to scale BA IRS to the same level as a beer like Parabola, I'd be stoked, but I haven't seen anything yet that indicates they want to take the QM series to anywhere near that level.
  28. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Can't really tell how big these are. Some see limited distribution, but most just sit on the shelves at the company stores.
  29. I'd agree as long as the price point is also in line with Parabola
  30. Xul

Agreed, I re-worded my post a couple of times and ended up omitting a point that I'd like to see the price:value ratio (perceived value, to be specific) improve as they scale (if they scale, obviously). Everyone has different tastes and can argue for specific beers, but in the barrel aged realm, Parabola is probably at the peak of the price:value curve for me. If Stone could approach that point with BA IRS, I think they'd please a hell of a lot of people.
    SageO and StarRaptor like this.
  31. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Since they are building a barrel storage center across the street (IIRC) I am guessing they too are hoping to get some of their beers up to that capacity. The key right now though is to get the pricing down. Right now I have passed on all of the releases except the first few. I liked the virgin oak Camino El Real, I believe it was around $20. A little pricey but a fun beer. Otherwise the only other one I have really liked out of the ones I have tried (which hasn't been too many) is the first one (Ken's coconut).
  32. Xul

Ah, I had forgotten that they're going to put a barrel room in the hotel. Considering that's slated to open in late 2014 according to their projects page, the timeline for scaling the QM program is probably a few years, unless they have interim storage space in their new packaging hall.

Edit: Just read further down the page, and the packaging hall does in fact indicate "Expanded Barrel Aging program".
  33. nanobrew

I cannot remember the details, but I believe the Hotel and barrel room are separate. I think the barrel room will be in conjunction with an event space for private parties/receptions etc.

It will be awhile until we see the fruits of the labor, but I am guessing it will be worth it.
  34. riko

riko Savant (250) California Jan 18, 2008

I thought I read in the UT that the hotel is on hold until they sort out the Liberty Station problems.
  35. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Stone is no Firestone Walker
    vurt likes this.
  36. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Can you elaborate on the "problems" they're having? I looked around the internet and couldn't find anything.
  37. nanobrew

Since Liberty Station is considered a historic center they had to comply with A LOT of rules and get every change made to the building approved. From what I heard, they had a hard time getting things approved, would have to change plans, rinse and repeat. I don't think they broke ground until after the original "completion" date. From what I know, they are now on track to be done in the summer.
    domtronzero likes this.
  38. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Huh. I had no idea. Not that I follow/care about Stone in the slightest, but thanks for the info. For some reason I thought they were already open in Liberty Station.
  39. Greg Koch recently replied to somebody on twitter that it would be opening in May.
    nanobrew likes this.