1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone selects brewer for next collaboration

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by ShemRahBoo, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

2. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

ISO
    Mersh and StonedTrippin like this.
  3. It's interesting to see them pick a fairly new brewery in the SD scene.
    Mersh likes this.
  4. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

coconut!!!
  5. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

I just talked to a guy that works at Rip Current. Hadn't heard of them before him so kind of funny to see this post so soon after talking to him. Have family in San Diego so go there quite a bit. Looking forward to giving them a try for sure on my next trip.
  6. rmaste6282

rmaste6282 Savant (380) California Apr 30, 2009

Paul Sangster is a Ninkasi winner from 2011 (highest award in homebrewing), and won tons of medals for all styles of beer over the years. He is a also a Master BJCP judge. Paul and Guy are a great addition to the collaboration.
  7. Greg Koch is really on with making IPA + something these days. Coffee IPA, Cocoa IPA, Coconut IPA... All starting with C actually. Hopefully next we'll have a Cantaloupe IPA.
    sukwonee likes this.
  8. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

As long as its not a Crappy IPA

har har
  9. isnt wil wheaton involved with stone now? ISO that, i love wil wheaton. we are friends on untappd :)
  10. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

Sounds like it will be some mediocre tap selection, never to be tasted again.

...maybe they should just try improving on a beer style they have yet to release. That would be more interesting.
    rauchbier, helles lager, gueze, wild ale, whatever.
  11. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Did you try Stone's sour at Sourfest a few years back?!

Personally I like the IPA experimentation that Stone is doing. They know how to make good IPA's.
  12. HazyChilla

HazyChilla Disciple (55) New York Feb 15, 2010

Ryan Reschan is StumpyJoeJr on YouTube
  13. The beer is chosen at a Stone homebrew (AHA?) rally each year by popular vote. I also believe the homebrewer gets to choose who they would like to collaborate on the project.
  14. Looking forward to trying some of Rip Currents Lupulin Lust IPA tonight fresh from the brewery.
  15. The AHA Rally was at Stone on March 16, so that explains the timing for the announcement. If you are an AHA member the Rally is a great time, been to a few in MI.

Now I can see why the local brewery I never heard of was choosen. If the winner of the Rally gets to choose, they choose a local brewery founded by a well known homebrewer who has gone pro. I knew who Paul Sangster was, had not heard about his brewery.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  16. rmaste6282

The top 5 beers are chosen by popular vote, then it goes to a panel of judges (Stone employees and brewers) to put in the order that they want.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  17. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Didn't New Belgium already do this with their Rampant IIPA (albeit probably unintentionally)? If it's anything like Rampant, DO NOT WANT!
  18. Didn't know that. Anyways, people usually like crazy flavors better when they are intentional, so who knows.
  19. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (535) Florida Aug 27, 2012

Cannabis IPA. Two birds, one stone(r).
  20. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

I loves me some coconut. I can't wait.
  21. badbeer

badbeer Savant (460) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

It's actually going to be a Crappie IPA.
    Dakotah likes this.
  22. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i don't give a shit what it is, put coconut in and i'll probably try it if i can.
    Beerontwowheels and jRocco2021 like this.
  23. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

24. rmaste6282

R&R Coconut IPA has been bottled and will start shipping out this week. Release date is July 29th.
    Pahn likes this.
  25. Hah I just finish my coconut Pliny clone and it was delicious. I am hopeful that Stone will not disappoint.
    Pahn likes this.
  26. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Rip Current does some fine beers. Only been to the tasting room, but liked what they poured. And I know the beer geeks in town seem to like them.