1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Smoked Porter w/ Chocolate & Orange Peel

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by tkdchampxi, Aug 29, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    From Stone's Facebook: "Some things you don't even have to taste to know they're going to be phenomenal...of course, it doesn't hurt to taste 22 ounces of cacao nib and citrus-infused goodness all the same. Stone Smoked Porter w/Chocolate & Orange Peel is en route next month!"

Pahn, slevy221, hopnado and 4 others like this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

I'm a sucker for their different variations of porter. Will definitely get a couple of bottles...

ChainGangGuy and tkdchampxi like this.
  3. Oh Stone, how I love you!

Catracho5 likes this.
  4. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

I love this flavor combo! Will definitely try it.

5. I may even like this one more than the pepper edition, and that's saying something.

Pahn and StoneGreg like this.
  6. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Savant (380) Kentucky Jan 4, 2009

Is this a one-off or is it going to be a rotating/seasonal like the chipotle and vanilla-bean smoked porters?

7. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Savant (290) California May 16, 2002

Rotating, like the other two.

Unfortunately, I would not expect a return of the 'series' past the Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean, which will come out later this year around the Holidays. The sales were not where we needed them to be for us to justify bringing them back. Personally, I'm bummed as I pushed internally for this, as the Stone Smoked Porter variations are among my favorites (the top one for me personally being the Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers, but I'm in the minority on that). So, get while you can and enjoy (as I will).

8. Theniz

Theniz Savant (340) Indiana Nov 13, 2012

Sounds absolutely fantastic, can't wait!

9. This does sound good to me. Comes at a nice time too. Might help offset all the pumpkins and oktoberfests...

10. This thread made me think of Westbrook Orange Bliss.

11. I really want this, but I highly doubt I will see it here in Pittsburgh :/

12. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Nice! Too bad about the Vanilla one. I liked it and it was not easy to come by here. I will grab this when I see it.

13. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (355) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

This makes me a sad panda.

14. slevy221

slevy221 Disciple (60) New Jersey Feb 27, 2014

This looks amazing

15. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

Greg - have you ever considered doing this series with a non-smoked Porter? I like smoke but it's a style of beer that turns many people off - perhaps leading to the less than needed sales for the brews. All the best and keep the interesting beers coming - Cheers!

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  16. You certainty are. ;)

17. Sounds fucking gross. Smokey oranges?

18. ChainGangGuy

ChainGangGuy Advocate (660) Georgia Sep 27, 2004

If Q-Attack is on board with this release, then, dammit, sign me up for two bottles.

Yes, I said two.

19. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

Sad, the smoked porter variations were great.

Combining equal parts chipotle and vanilla was easily my favorite, personally.

Buschyfor3 and Clap4Beer like this.
  20. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Savant (490) Minnesota Jun 26, 2014

This would be my opinion as well. Of course my ex-wife said I have a "small opinion".

21. Clap4Beer

Clap4Beer Disciple (55) New York Dec 13, 2013

Totally bummed to hear this about the vanilla, particularly because after trying it I went all around to find more and could not find any. I bought several bottles of the chipotle after trying it to make sure this did not happen again!

22. This sounds really tasty.

23. Looks like I'm going to need to pick up one of those Chipotle ones. I passed on the Crime & Punishment due to prices and the reactions (but I might have liked them). I heard mixed things about the Chipotle ones and they are still on shelves around here. Surprisingly, here in MD they are one of the more expensive Stone beers out there. They are $10 out here, but I've gotten most of your other beers for less (not really a complaint, just MD). I guess I might just have to cave and get one.

24. Whoa, cool to see Greg commenting on this.

25. McStagger

McStagger Savant (435) California Jun 2, 2005

I'm glad y'all decided on the choc/orange route. I enjoyed the other two, but this one sounds really promising.

26. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

I remember thinking of brewing a chocolate orange stout once.

27. YES!!! So glad the Vanilla Bean one will be coming back. I missed it last time. One of the few holes in my Stone collection since I've been buying everything you put out (and loving almost all of it)!

28. Adrexus

Adrexus Initiate (15) California Feb 17, 2014

I loved the vanilla porter. The one I had was 2 months past it's bottling date, but still turned out to be phenomenal nonetheless. If I ever see it again, i'll make sure to pick up 3 or 4 in one go.

I've never had chocolate and orange at the same time in a beer though. But judging from Stone's track record, i'm not too worried.

29. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I'm probably in a tiny little minority here, but I just don't really enjoy Stone's Smoked Porter in the first place. But Saranac made a chocolate orange porter that was fantastic, so I might be willing to give this one a shot. Minus the whole "smokey" thing, it really is a great flavor combination.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  30. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

This sounds awesome!

I'd love to see a Rocky Road version.

31. I love the chipotle peppers one. It's like drinking an awesome porter, but also a campfire, and a small tin of slightly spicy peppers as well. By far the most unique beer I've ever drunk.

32. beernuts

beernuts Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 23, 2014

Yeah the chipotle one was great, its really disappointing to hear that it won't be back. I feel slightly guilty now for not buying more of them.

33. I can see why someone would say that, the first sip i took (of the chipotle) threw me for a loop. My brain didn't register it as 'beer' at first. It's really assertive and challenged my own range of acceptable flavors in a beer.

34. Are you sure that she was talking about your point of view? :eek:

JohnnyMc and AdmiralOzone like this.
  35. wut? that sucks! the Chipolte Pepper variant was easily the best of the last round. unfortunately i wasn't feeling the last release of vanilla bean. the vanilla was too much for me. i vote you threaten to break as many sets of kneecaps as required to keep the Chipolte!! now i'll have to ration my remaining bottles.:mad:

[​IMG]

arizcards, superspak and StoneGreg like this.
  36. BeerMoto

BeerMoto Disciple (70) California Jul 26, 2014

I have some Smoked Porter with Chipotle bottles with a Best Before date of Aug 8, 2014. I had one the other day and it still tasted great. Any idea how much longer they will hold their flavor?

37. FeiJai

FeiJai Zealot (75) California Jul 10, 2013

I am a happy camper.

38. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aficionado (235) Michigan Feb 25, 2014

Will these smoked porters age well?

39. I got excited when I saw the orange peel on the label. I got to try the Smoked Porter with Kongo Coffee and Orange Peel at the Pasadena store and it blew me away. I wish you were bottling that, but I'm sure this version with chocolate will be awesome, too.

Glad you're back, StoneGreg!

40. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Yea I have to agree. I've never liked the combination of chocolate and oranges. Combine that with smokiness? No thanks.