Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Vertical Epic 03-11 LIF

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by london1o1, Dec 21, 2012.

1. london1o1

london1o1 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Feb 14, 2003

I have too many of these damn VE's. I don't have any '02s, but am looking to give away at least 1 03-11 set, and up to 3, with some possible extras thrown in there.

However, I figured I'd might as well see if I can put some money towards a good cause in the process.

The cause:
    Animal Rescue League (http://www.animalrescue.org/), an animal shelter in Pittsburgh, and not coincidentally, the place where I found my roommate and best friend of 7 years, Blue. If you care at all about dogs and cats and probably some other miscellaneous creatures, this is a worthwhile thing to throw a little money at regardless of the chance at free beer. And if you hate dogs, cats, etc., you should donate because your money will help keep those filthy mongrels off the streets. "But I don't live in Pittsburgh," you say. "Why should I care about an animal shelter there?" What difference does that make? You selfish dick.

The event:
    I'm a lazy piece of shit. I don't run or do active things nearly enough. I don't think I've run in a sanctioned event since we had to run a mile for an 8th grade fitness test, and I'm pretty sure I walked most of that. So I decided this would be a good opportunity to run my first 5K. I know, I know. All you runners out there are laughing. "5K? Does that even count as a race?" Kindly reread the first few sentences of this section. Also, I'm planning on legitimately running the entire thing (no walking, hopefully not even any light jogging), and shooting for a reasonably respectable time. Which will, I suppose, involve some amount of training ahead of time. Which is pretty much a completely new concept for me.
    The race isn't actually until May 5, but I will post a follow-up to this after running for anyone who actually cares.

The rules:
    I will give away at least 1 set of the 03-11 Vertical Epics. If only one person donates, I, along with hundreds of adorable animals, will be very sad (picture a Sarah McLachlan SPCA video), but that person will automatically win said beers. To enter, you must donate at least $20 (see below). I will find some completely random way of picking a winner (or winners) from those who have donated.
    If there are more than 12 donations, I'll start adding additional prizes as follows:
    1-12 donations: 03-11 VE for 1st
    13-20 donations: 03-11 VE for 1st, and 03 and 07 VEs for 2nd (I've got extras -- might throw in some other bottles too, but these for sure)
    21-30 donations: 03-11 VE each for 1st and 2nd, and 03 and 07 VEs for 3rd
    31-35 donations: 03-11 VE each for 1st and 2nd, and 03 and 07 VEs for 3rd and 4th
    36-40 donations: 03-11 VE each for 1st-3rd, and 03 and 07 VEs for 4th and 5th
    If somehow I get more donations than that, not only would the back of my head probably blow off, which could affect my ability to run the race at all, but I'll find a whole mess of other stuff to give away.

To donate / enter the LIF:
    1. Go to: http://www.crowdrise.com/pawsoverpgh2013/fundraiser/benmusher
    2. Donate at least $20.
    3. Post in this thread with the name you donated under (I understand if people think that posting in this thread that they donated is tacky and want to message me privately instead, but I would actually prefer to keep it all in the thread so I can keep all the info conveniently in one place and don't have to clear out more room in my BA inbox.)
    4. Smile knowing you beat the system by doing a good deed AND having a chance to get a bunch of beer out of it.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. If you're in discussions with me for a trade for some or all of these, you're welcome to postpone said discussions until the completion of this LIF. I'm certainly okay with getting more donations for animals at the risk of not getting more beer for myself. That said, I have enough VEs for this and the trades I'm working on, so don't worry about me giving away a set you wanted to trade for.

2. jpaulsen

jpaulsen Savant (260) California Dec 6, 2010

Donated! -John Paulsen. Good luck!

3. london1o1

Cheers! Consider yourself in the drawing. And thanks!

4. london1o1

It occurs to me that the Tis the Season LIF thread may have a very valid point that more than one charity LIF at a given time may be more than BA can handle. It was probably overzealous of me to try to put this up while the Sandy Hook LIF is chugging along with such well-deserved steam. I wasn't trying to compete with it (and just made my donation, Brad -- BM on the way). So I too will be postponing this drawing. Jpaulsen will of course still be entered when it resumes (and don't worry, I won't wait too long).

5. london1o1

Okay, I apologize for the hiatus. We're back! I know the vertical may have lost some of its luster after the passing of 12-12-12, but this is an opportunity to donate to a great cause and for you and a few friends to get to try this vertical on the cheap. Also, should be noted that all the bottles say "best after 12-12-12". I will also throw in a couple nice additional bottles to any winners (based on the part of the country you live in) for some added incentive.
    I'll take entries for a few weeks, pick the winners, and try to have the bottles in your hands by mid next month.

Thanks for looking, folks!

6. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Poobah (1,020) Kentucky Mar 3, 2011 Verified

Sounds like two good causes: supporting an animal shelter and getting your lazy ass in motion. I'm in!

Posted under Hugh Jareckson...

7. london1o1

Got it! Thanks for the support!

8. TheBeerAlmanac

I sincerely hope you caught that...

9. After going though the steps and filling out the whole form - four times - I can't get any of my credit cards to process successfully on crowdrise. Not sure what the issue is, love donating for animals, but can't seem to make it happen. Can't believe they don't even accept PayPal.

10. Donated!

Under Joshua Wood

11. Finally got it to work. You'll find my donation under Dick Burns.

12. robL

robL Savant (260) California Oct 22, 2010

Such a great cause. My dogs have changed my life in such positive ways that I will ALWAYS ALWAYS give and help out animal charities however I can. Thanks a ton, win or lose, I'm happy to donate. - robL-

13. london1o1

Hah! I did not. Well played sir.

And thank you so much to everyone who has donated so far. I really appreciate the support.

14. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

Donation made under Jeremy

I know that I'm pretty new on BA and I understand if you would prefer to keep this one open to the veterans of the community. This is a great thing your doing and I'm happy to help support a great cause either way!

15. london1o1

I appreciate your support as much as that of the oldest most grizzled beer forum veterans, and I would venture to guess that the animals do too. You're definitely in. And thanks!

16. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

Very much appreciated Sir, Thank You!

17. Rathakem

Rathakem Savant (315) Oregon Apr 1, 2012 Verified Subscriber

Donation under BA Rathakem. Happy to be helping!

18. london1o1

Much thanks! Cheers!

19. So does the LIF end on May 5? Or some point between now and then?

20. london1o1

Well before then. Going to try to do the drawing in early to mid March, and ship to the winners pretty much immediately after. I don't want you guys to have to wait that long.

21. richkrull

richkrull Advocate (565) Wisconsin Dec 4, 2010 Verified Subscriber

Hey Ben - Just got my donation in under Rich Krull. Thanks a lot for doing this.

22. Awesome cause! I'm always a sucker for animal causes and even more so when beer is involved!

Donated under BA Rendomike. Good luck running the 5K and thanks for this fantastic LIF.

23. london1o1

Thanks a bunch for all the support guys! I'm out of town until Monday, then gonna do a final push for a week and a half or so, and do the drawing. We're just 3 donations away from me throwing in another set!

Cheers!

24. london1o1

Okay... gonna make one final push here. $50 more in donations and I'm adding another set. I'll draw and announce the winners on this Saturday, and aim to have everything shipped out that Monday.

Thanks again to everyone who already donated. The beer community really never fails to surprise me with its generosity.

25. donated under name Rosanne Melchiorre
    awesome cause got my bf at local shelter 9 years ago

26. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Donation made under JMW

27. london1o1

Thanks guys! You're in there. AND I'm now giving away 2 03-11 sets and a bottle of 03 and 07 (as well as some fun extras).

28. This is awesome. Definitely on board, I adopted two pets (brothers) from a local shelter several years ago and couldn't be happier with their companionship. Plus, I also like beer. :) Donated under lakesider1818.

29. london1o1

I apologize for the delay in doing this drawing. I had a hell of a weekend, involving, among other things, my car being towed from half a block away from my house for no apparent reason. But I digress. For the drawing, I've written a different number on each of 46 individual and essentially identical pieces of dog kibble. Each piece of kibble represents $10 of donation, and the kibble corresponds to the donators in the order in which they made their donations. For instance, the first $20 donation was made by John Paulsen, so if I draw the kibble with a 1 or 2 on it, John Paulsen wins. Lakesider1818 made the final donation, also for $20, so kibbles 45 and 46 would indicate a win for lakesider1818. If you donated $50, you have 5 pieces of kibble, and so on. You get the idea. There will be three prizes drawn (the two sets first, and the '03 and '07 third), and nobody will be allowed to win more than once. I will also throw some other fun stuff in there based on where the winners live (trying to avoid sending anything you might already have access to). So, with that out of the way, I will do the drawing...

30. london1o1

I tried to take a video of the drawing process, but the camera angles were so bad, you couldn't see what was happening anyway. Then it took a while to figure out which number corresponded to which donator (there was probably an easier way to do this, but I got kind of married to the idea of using dog kibble).
    However, the winners are...

1st winner ('03-'11 VEs): kibble #18 (robL on BA)
    2nd winner ('03-'11 VEs): kibble #4 (TheBeerAlmanac on BA -- AKA Hugh Jareckson)
    3rd winner ('03 and '07 VEs): kibble #33 (Marco Cervi on rb)

Congratulations! Let me know your shipping info, and I'll get this stuff right out to you.

And thanks again to everyone for your generosity. I really appreciate it, and more importantly, I'm sure the Animal Rescue League appreciates it. I never cease to be impressed with how generous the beer community can be.

Cheers!

P.S. For anyone who cares, I'll put another update on here after I run the 5K May 5 with my time, and any hilarious stories I might end up having about almost dying or whatever.

31. TheBeerAlmanac

Huzzah! Awesome deal man, thanks for the opportunity. Run with a six pack of something and drink them along the way, will make the 5k go by in no time. Good luck!

32. Congrats to the winners!!!! Great LIF

33. robL

robL Savant (260) California Oct 22, 2010

Wow. This is incredible. I'm really excited and honored to have won. Dogs are a huge huge part of mine and my wife's life. We work for several rescue organizations and I'm more than happy to have helped a good cause.

Thanks london, I'll BM you my info.

34. Congrats to the winners and thanks again to London for doing this. Good luck with the 5K!