1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone Vertical Epic Ale Live Tasting - Thu, Nov 15 @ 12pm PT

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Haha nope, but that is a valid question.
  2. I have only tried the 11 11 11 vertical, I do like hearing about these other beers.
  3. I love Greg Koch but not digging the Unabomber look.
    kingcrowing and suspect like this.
  4. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

SPOILER ALERT!

Do not scroll down if you want to keep your Vertical Epic 02/02/02 as a surprise for yourself.

This was posted on Stone's Facebook 7 minutes ago (12:23 PST):

[​IMG]
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Just cracked open a Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale bottle, initial thoughts: tasting honey, tart aroma, complex with nice spice characteristics.
  5. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I'm betting 2/2/2 doesn't taste nearly as good as their FB posting makes it sound. Unless, of course, it got WAY better in the last few years.

It's a 7.5% Belgian-yeast witbier. You can't really expect much. I thought it was bland, boring, and developing into a muted mess when I had it back in 2009.

But there's no way in hell I'd turn it down, given the chance to try it again. :)
  6. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Wow, they should have prefunked or something. This thing is awkward so far.
    drewba, ShogoKawada and dogfish90 like this.
  7. Gushue3

Gushue3 Savant (350) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2010

Great to see Greg burn that cicerone to his left, guy seems like a d-nozzle
    bifrost17 likes this.
  8. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

Am I too late to make the Last supper joke with Greg loooking like Jesus?
    robinsmv likes this.
  9. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

All of a sudden I feel like Lebron's "The Decision" was Oscar-worthy.
    suspect and crushedvol like this.
  10. JRod1969

You know when an addict hits rock bottom and admits he has a problem? I feel like this might be the ah-ha moment of my beernerdness as I was just asked what I was doing and hearing myself say watching a live feed of 10 dudes I don't personally know drinking beer and talking about it felt like the lamest thing in the world. On the other hand, it might just be beer envy as I am currently drinking diet Coke.
    afksports, ant880, tronto and 4 others like this.
  11. JRod1969

Did they just "bogart" my Last Supper reference?
  12. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

The 02 bottle's value is going to go up after this tasting - the fear has always been that it would not hold up but that has not been the case at least with this tasting.
  13. crazy beats strong every time.
    libbey likes this.
  14. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I think they did, and they stole my shaving the beard joke
  15. What's up with no ladies getting the evite?
  16. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

They were only interested in the opinion of one demographic.
    drewba and floraday like this.
  17. I think you now have your answer to the question: who geeks out most ridiculously? People are actually tuning in to watch a livestream of other beer geeks drinking old beer. Amazing.
  18. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

That was pretty cool, I hope there are more things like this in the future.
  19. I didn't get to see the live feed. What did the cicerone say and what Greg's response?
  20. I think I did too.
  21. Why? Because that is what an entire segment of U.S. craft beer culture has become: Bildungsphilister. Aside from the ridiculousness of the "event" itself, it is all about exclusion and not inclusion. Alienating to "those who have invested major time...into acquiring a vertical of their own"? What about to those who are just getting into beer? Those with limited funds? Is this beer advocacy?

The group involved in this preliminary stunt, as well as those waiting in the wings to replicate it, are not trying to be beer guides, in the tradition of, say, Michael Jackson, who would travel to various beer destinations, drink what the locals are drinking, and invite anyone and everyone watching to do the same; rather they are self-appointed, self-important "experts" drinking (and brewing) beers specifically and exclusively for themselves and their ilk.

What really puts this over the top, however, is that they broadcast this "once-in-a-lifetime experience" live, on the Internet, in an effort to showcase what can only be seen as their self-importance...all the while equating it with the greatest, most ambitious brewing achievements in history. Unbelieveable. And truly, truly sad.
  22. Gushue3

Gushue3 Savant (350) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2010

Greg called him out on some tastings he was tooting his horn about. Nothing gigantic but perfectly placed. Well done Jesus Koch
  23. rousee

rousee Advocate (520) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

I really enjoyed watching the whole thing. The chat room was fun but annoying too. Made me want a beer asap !
  24. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

So does anybody know WHAT the 12.12.12 is going to be?
  25. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  26. The question that I replied to was asking why have this tasting on 11/15/12 as opposed to 12/12/12. My point was that Greg and company are 'damned if you, damned if you don't.' Both sides can't possibly be pleased (as evidenced by this thread alone). And I was giving a view from each side of the sword.
  27. DunnDiego

DunnDiego Disciple (55) California Apr 28, 2010

This was like a special "Pre" tasting to the actual event that will be happening on 12-12-12. Just for Hot Shots and Big Wigs (and friends of Big Wigs... I'm looking at you Stephen!) ;)

I'm going on 12-12 and I'm pretty excited, as I've only tried the '07 and up. Sounds like the consensus was that the '05 was the best/most complex/held up to the aging.
  28. Travisnin

Travisnin Aficionado (245) Idaho Oct 10, 2010

This is what I heard
    Stone 12/12/12 will be a dark Belgian abbey-ish ale brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, sweet orange peel, clove (only a little!), and rosehips

29. Did that ever happen?