1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stop n Shop in Coral Gables? Anyone been there?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by stevegnd, Jan 31, 2013.

1. stevegnd

stevegnd Zealot (75) Georgia Jun 27, 2012

885 Ponce de Leon Blvd
    Coral Gables, FL 33146

Gets pretty good reviews on Yelp. Going to be driving from MIA to Keys in a few weeks and want to find the best place to get some beers we can't get up here in Atlanta (CCB top of list). Anyone been to Stop n Shop and care to share their thoughts?
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Yes. It's incredibly overpriced but has a really good selection. The prices cause some good beers to sit on the shelves longer. For example, last year I saw Hopslam sitting on the shelves a few months after the last Hopslam shipment. Asked about the price, and it was $25.
    It might be your bet bet for finding some CCB though, if you're willing to pay the price.
  3. I was going to say the exact same thing. I was there two weeks ago and saw a shelf full of the Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout. At $5 a bottle, it was not moving quickly.
  4. stevegnd

stevegnd Zealot (75) Georgia Jun 27, 2012

thanks guys...any other recommendations in the area?
  5. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Stevegnd, try El Carajo on US 1 (South Dixie Highway) and 17th Avenue. It's in a Gas Station but you'll find a lot of CCB Goodies here.
    chardlogic likes this.
  6. voxomkid

And will go ahead and confirm the overpricing issue both here and at the other Stop N Shop next to UM. I've seen things here twice as much as other beer stores or as much as bar prices.
  7. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 4, 2011

I bought a sixer of new world porter from there thinking it was this years batch since it's released in January. Turns out it was last years.
  8. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I go there pretty regularly because it's so close, but it is quite overpriced.

You will find some things there you can't find elsewhere (I presume because of the mark-up).

Honestly, the only significantly better prices you'll find in MIA would be at Total Wine Pinecrest.
  9. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 4, 2011

cork & bottle is cheaper but still not as cheap as total wine. Stuff goes quicker there too so you're not looking at 6 month old hopslam
  10. SILVER

SILVER Aficionado (215) Florida Jan 3, 2007

Voxomkid, you are sending him to El Carrajo?
    voxomkid likes this.
  11. voxomkid

Yes, lolol I see what you did there.