1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Storage facilities in Chicago and Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jegross2, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I am curious what the community recommends as quality facilities for beer storage in these two cities. I'd be looking at a place that can house 300-400 bottles (~100-120 12 oz, the rest are larger format). Cost may be important, so maybe a deep freezer plus a therm control added may be a better/cheaper option, though it wouldn't have humidity control I imagine.

Accessibility (eg, a pickup parking lot) would probably be key. I'd prefer lot parking, but I'd accessible via El in Chicago, I suppose that will suffice.

Thanks in advance
  2. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

brewrouse likes this.
  3. jegross2

Yea, but $200/200 bottles/year seems a bit pricey since i wouldnt be able to put half my stuff there...
  4. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

5. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

East Bank Wine Storage: http://www.eastbankwine.com/

Don't know anything about them, but they were the first listing when I Googled "Milwaukee Wine Storage".
    chanokokoro likes this.
  6. jegross2

Thanks for all the info! Depending on where I move, and I'd I have space, it looks like a modified chest freezer is the more economical option for even one year
  7. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

East bank wine storage in Milwaukee. It has a parking lot, and it's like 15-20 per month proly closer to 20 for your stash, depending on how you store them.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  8. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

East Bank has locations in Chicago and Milwaukee. I cellar my beer at their location at Halsted and Lake in Chicago. I totally recommend them. It's very affordable and they have lot parking. Here's some pictures of my locker in their cellar that I took right before the holidays...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This locker is the 20 California case size and it's about $15 a month. I pay an additional $25 a year for extended hours. That means I have access to the cellar anytime between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. I also have two converted wine coolers at home...

[​IMG]
  9. jegross2

I presume shelving is your own?
  10. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

I have the same size locker, though mine is much more inefficient. Care to share where you got your shelving from? Do you see any buckling of the shelves?
  11. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Yes, the three tier shelving is my own. I purchased them at Target. They come in black, white, and silver. I've had absolutely no buckling of the shelves (if I'm not mistaken each shelf is rated for 100 lbs+).

You may have also noticed that I store my lambics/gueze/C & C Wild Ales horizontally. I actually use the same shelving. I tag all the bottles with the name of the brewer, brew, and the vintage so they are easy to find. Each of the shelves is lined with a layer of the Contact tacky rubber cabinet liners. I then put a layer of the Contact liner on top of the first row of bottles and stack a second layer and then a third. It's amazing how well the Contact liner holds the bottles together. There is absolutely not movement at all.

It's really nice to have the wine coolers at how as well. I'll head over to the cellar, grab a couple of bottles that I plan to crack in the near future, and then keep them in the wine coolers at home. They serve as a nice "on-deck circle.
  12. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

I store mine over at kentcellars. I have over 300 bottles and plenty of room for more. At $500 a year, it didn't seem like that much. Though East Bank Storage sounds pretty nice as well. Kent is just right around the corner from me, so it's easier. I echo having the wince coolers at home. It's a great way to "stage" a tasting.
    brewrouse likes this.