1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stores near Bush International in Houston?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by polishkaz, Jan 3, 2013.

1. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

My fiancé is flying in on Sunday and staying for a few days near the airport. Anyone local know where I can send her near the airport to mule some Texas beers for me? I know Premium Draught is 13 miles south but looking for something a bit closer. Is there a Spec's up that way?
  2. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

Spec's on Kuykendahl is really close. https://plus.google.com/116927662132450761139/about?gl=us&hl=en

If she loves you she'll drive to Spec's "downtown" on Smith St. It's one of the best Spec's in Tx.
  3. DocBrass

DocBrass Member

if you are looking for anything "rare or hard to find", nothing up but IAH. even that Specs on Kuykendahl would have you basic beers and some local Houston beers.
    the downtown Specs will have a bigger selection of everything, plus probably can find Texas vodka and whiskey.
  4. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

Thanks for the suggestions. What is IAH? She's gonna have to take a can wherever she goes to grab the beer. What are some good localsi should have her look our for? Jester king, 512, spracher, live oak.....?
  5. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Member

IAH is the airport listing for Bush Intercontinental Airport. Be sure she gets you some Karbach: Rodeo Clown, Hopadillo, and Weisse Versa. Jester King is usually on shelves even in grocery stores. You may want to try some Southern Star as well. Live Oak is not bottling (I don't think...) but there are some craft bars that will fill a growler of the hefe for you. The reason she will need a car is do to the fact that Houston is VERY spread out, and getting around almost anywhere calls for a vehicle.
  6. Danielbt

Danielbt Member

512 and Live Oak don't bottle, with a very few rare exceptions. However, if a growler is possible, 512 Pecan Porter and Live Oak Hefe should both be widely available.
  7. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

That's great guys thanks. Can you buy singles at Spec's? Wonder how a growler would hold up on an airplane?
  8. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

Growler will be fine, go flip top if at all able and have your fiancé bundle her clothes or a towel around it.
  9. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

Awesome, I'll send her with a flip top or 2 then. Thank you.
  10. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

She will be in town for the Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter release.
  11. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

brewery only release?
  12. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Nope. It is illegal to sell beer at a brewery in Tx. Yeah, jacked up laws. Spec's downtown will be getting some for sure. So will other stores. HEB's and Whole Foods along with other Spec's. Maybe, some folks from that side of town can make suggestions.
  13. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

Right on, looks like I'm gonna send her with 3 750 ml growlers then. Southwest forum coming through.
  14. DocBrass

DocBrass Member

you can get canned beers from Southern Star and Karbach at most local grocery stoes (HEB and Krogers). Saint Arnold only bottles and are everywhere.

a new growler store opened north of downtown called Premium Draught. http://premiumdraught.com/
    he has been getting Live Oak and 512 from Austin.
    polishkaz likes this.
  15. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

And no, specs does not sell singles. With the exception of bombers and limited 12oz
  16. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

Alright then, anywhere near the airport that I can send her for an assortment of singles?
  17. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

I took a look at this store, really looks like a nice place, if it were me flying to Houston I'd be stopping at Premium Draught.
  18. DocBrass

DocBrass Member

yeah, John just opened up before the holidays and I still haven't been by yet. I got to know him at the Dynamo games this last summer.

try looking at the HEB or Krogers grocery stores. HEB lets you buy singles. they sometimes break sixers open or variety 12 packs. Krogers only lets you buy singles as a 6 pack.
  19. polishkaz

polishkaz Member

Thanks. There is an HeB close to her hotel too. Much appreciated.