Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Stories of loved ones taking care of you.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beeaann, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (1,045) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member Verified

My brother-in-law hooked me up with Foothills Barrel Aged Peoples Porter and Bells Hopslam this year...even might be willing to share his Foothills Sexual Chocolate with me.

Wife brought me back several Russian River beers when she was in CA last year for work as well as Iron Fist and a couple of others.
  2. I was interested in picking up a FFF teku glass when I saw their posting on Facebook yesterday. My wife said "Okay, let's go!" It was good that we had friends to stay with overnight, but an almost 3 hour trip each way is nothing to sneeze at, especially since she just had to leave for work as soon as we got back home.
  3. my girlfriend knew I was scrambling around looking for bourbon county bramble rye. so she tells me she's going to the supermarket for grocery shopping while I'm showering up and when I come out the shower I see that burgundy labeled beauty just sitting on the kitchen counter!
    loafinaround and kojevergas like this.
  4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) Colorado Dec 9, 2011 Verified

Perhaps the same time you stopped asking her how much she spent on whatever?
  5. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (620) Florida Aug 10, 2012 Verified

My wife and battle buddy agreed to let me drag them out of bed to stand in line for Hunaphu, so i can get more bottles. That's tight work.
  6. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Advocate (510) California Dec 21, 2011 Verified

For Christmas, my dad gave me a bottle of BCBVS. Great gift if you ask me.
  7. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

My wife doesn't divorce me for doing things like a yearly pilgrimage and major expense at Dark Lord Day, joining Bruery Hoarders society (and buying enough beer to be invited to begin with!), stopping at FedEx all the time, and storing 2 tons of boxes/shippers/bubblewrap in our house!

She's pretty awesome.
  8. Dope

Dope Advocate (670) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010 Verified

My wife went with me to get KtG tickets on a cold winter day. I didn't win any but she got three and gave them all to me.

9. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

My girlfriend gave me the ultimatum of her or beer (rehab). She is no longer my girlfriend :D
  10. brikelly

brikelly Savant (470) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2010 Verified

For Christmas my wife bought me 3 bottles of 2012 Fou 'Foune.

She stood in line with me at HF for 3 hours for the Juicy release.

While in Brussels together, she suggested we go back to visit Cantillon for a second day.
  11. timontheroad

timontheroad Champion (765) Colorado May 9, 2011 Verified

For our 30th Anniversary last month, my bride took me on a walking tour of the breweries/brew pubs in downtown Denver. We started at the Wynkoop Brewing Company for a few pints. Then proceeded to Great Divide for a couple of Oak-Aged Yetis and a tour of the brewhouse. Then went to the Yardhouse for dinner and a couple of Moylander's. To finish the night, she scored two tickets to the Colorado Av's home opener that night - great day thanks to a lovely lady!
  12. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Advocate (530) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013 Verified

My wife went to our local bottle shop and got the last Bourbon County Coffee for me when she was 8 months pregnant! That was awesome!
    JohnDMartin likes this.
  13. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (155) Ohio Dec 22, 2008 Verified

My parents go on beer runs and my wife bought me my Hoarders membership for my birthday. This family likes beer.
  14. Absolut

Absolut Advocate (580) California Sep 19, 2011 Verified

wife texted me today. 3 photos of
    enjoy by

followed by... oh, i bought some shoes and a dress...
    Kerrie and loafinaround like this.
  15. My Wife , Daughter and Grand baby went to NYC for Thanksgiving.
    They brought back 2 bottles of Boltcutter for dear old Dad
  16. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Aficionado (230) Georgia Oct 27, 2008 Verified

I drooled over some Bruery stuff that I didn't need to spend money on in front of my girlfriend, next day after a long day at work she showed up with it in hand. Smoking wood and tart of darkness will be quite tasty when the time is right!
  17. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Aficionado (230) Georgia Oct 27, 2008 Verified

Same girlfriend bought me 2 Marshall Zhukov's, a DFH 120, DFH WWS, etc, on our last Florida trip, man I love her!
  18. I was out of town for Founders CBS release so my wife and her friend (neither of whom drank beer at the time) stood in the cold line for hours to get that beer for me. She also runs to bottle shops all over town to get limited release beers for me on release days and carts my drunk ass around to breweries wherever we travel. I've converted to to liking beer moreso, but I have the perfect beer wife.
  19. shredder83

shredder83 Advocate (510) Illinois Feb 21, 2013 Verified

My cousin and her husband are bringing me back pliney from their bay area vacation...I am going to try it for the first time. :)
  20. jrman1386

jrman1386 Savant (290) Illinois Oct 22, 2011 Verified

My folks got me 2 cherry rye, 3 bcbcs, and a RS membership w/ a trustee for Christmas.
  21. Mississipping

Mississipping Savant (410) North Carolina Mar 16, 2010 Verified

My wife (who hates beer) was in San Diego recently for a mathematics conference. In between talks, she went to Bottlecraft, The Best Damn Beer Shop (called something else now?), and Toranado ... all in one day without reliable transportation ... and brought back some GEMS, along with some great glassware. She went through some rough areas, saw a couple sketchy things, and missed an important talk. I guess I'll keep her around for a bit longer ;)
    Terrapin8 likes this.
  22. Whimpers

Whimpers Advocate (645) New York Dec 17, 2010 Verified

My only heady topper experience was because mommy dearest grabbed me 3 four packs in bennington vt last april. I was so so happy.
  23. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Advocate (640) California Jan 2, 2010 Verified

My wife is still skinny
  24. kojevergas

kojevergas Poobah (1,070) Colorado Aug 15, 2010 Verified

My wife stood in line for Blabaer while giving herself a c-section to birth our firstborn child on the gum-ridden sidewalk of Copenhagen.

I got her a happy meal to show my thanks on our anniversary.
  25. xanok

xanok Savant (425) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Being 20 miles or so from New Haven, CT, my gf regularly makes trips to New England Brewing for me. Last trip she picked up two growlers of Imperial Stout Trooper. Before that, two growlers of Fuzzy Baby Ducks.
  26. My wife got me 2 bottles of black Tuesday last year. I didn't say anything to her about it at all...just came home to 2 shiny bottles of BT randomly one night. She's a real love sometimes
  27. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Advocate (575) Maryland Oct 26, 2011 Verified

I took my girlfriend (we're now engaged) and a friend of ours to an adult beverage store an hour or so away from our house. While we were there, I spotted bottles of Ola Dubh 12, 18, 30, and 40. My girlfriend had our friend distract me while she purchased all 4 bottles. She gave them to me the night we got engaged.

This same friend is from Indiana; Her parents still live there. Her parents are coming to visit at the end of March, and her Dad made it a point to ask her what he should bring to DC with him for me when they visit. I've met him once.

There are a lot of shitty people in the world, but the good one's make it all worth while.

Ola Dubh 40 is awesome by the way.
  28. JohnDMartin

JohnDMartin Initiate (0) Kentucky Jan 13, 2013

Get rid of her...
  29. JohnDMartin

JohnDMartin Initiate (0) Kentucky Jan 13, 2013

And certainly dont marry her as you must now that THIS is her BEST behavior... When you get married she will likely throw away the beer you do have.
  30. My cousin in DC brought me some DFH 60 and 90 minute IPA, Indian Brown Ale, Raison D'Être, a t-shirt, and a pint glass when she visited Thanksgiving. I didn't ask her to, but she did because she just knew I was really into beer. Quite awesome considering we don't get DFH in Minnesota.
  31. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (240) Florida Aug 12, 2010

My girlfriend recently was in Chicago for work. She surprised me by going to Half Acre and buying 6 bombers, a growler, and a 4 pack to check on the plane home to Florida. When she got home I proposed. Can't let a woman like that go.
  32. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Advocate (665) Michigan Sep 21, 2012 Verified

My girlfriend participated in a truly palate-wrecking, belly-widening tasting. Lied the whole time about how the beer was "fine." Nightstalker, Arcadia BBA Stout, BCBCS -- my body couldn't tell if it was drunk or sick.

Also, my Mom picked up my first three Black Notes this year and unexpectedly paid for my BBA Cereal Killer and Pt5 four pack.
  33. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (660) California Dec 23, 2010 Verified

The only reason I have drank most of the awesome beers I have is bc my ex passes by the best bottle shop within an hour on her way to work and is willing to pick stuff up for me. The beer guy there is pretty good to me too.

My mom doesn't drink beer but she likes food the way we like beer, she is always on the look out for restaurants with awesome tap/bottle lists for when she has the opportunity to take me out. She's gotten surprisingly good at discerning the great lists from the good considering she doesn't drink. Also surprised me with Hopping Frog BORIS+BABORIS after I took the GRE.

My dad lives in Clearwater Beach, FL and flys me out to visit him 3-4 times a year, which is why I am able to attend Huna's this year and last year. He is also a volunteer mule/DD.

I have some non-BA friends that willingly drink my worst home brew experiments, with a shrug and a "its not half bad".
  34. fvernon

fvernon Savant (380) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

this past xmas, i picked up a rather heavy box from my dad and unwrapped to discover a 1/2-filled case of BCBCS
  35. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Advocate (715) Oklahoma Jan 25, 2013 Verified

My wife let us take a quick detour to Lagunitas and RR (3 hour wait for Younger) during our Wine Country trip. She also drove me around the rest of that day.

Another quick one was when i first got into craft beer, I gave my dad a list of a few things to look for while in KC. I was just hoping for a few new things to try, but he ended up coming home with:

Union Jack
    Double Jack
    Little Sumpin Sumpin
    Lagunitas IPA
    Stone Ruination
    Stone Self Righteous (bomber)
    Avery Hog Heaven (bomber)

From there the obsession began.
  36. My fiancee doesn't really do much for me, other than doesn't nag, and supports me. She says she wants beer sometimes, but is scared to grab one out of the fridge because she doesn't want to "grab some weird $30 bottle"
  37. My girlfriend didn't have a second for beer a year ago. She has - by her own volition - now become a true beer advocate (she isn't on this site). We started hanging out at our local brewery, loves to visit other breweries, find new beer stores, and hunt for new beers in unexpected places. She also loves rye beers and can rank her favorite IPAs. Not too shabby.

We're also not exactly rolling in it right now, but she has never once made mention of beer expenditures.
  38. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (400) Nebraska Sep 24, 2012

Speaking of this, I got invited to a coffee beer tasting tomorrow night. She's upset I'm not spending time with her. Sigh...:confused:
  39. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (125) Arizona Sep 19, 2009

My wife drives me to drink, literally. She is my DD, and every Saturday morning she searches online to find a brewpub in the Portland, OR area that we have not already visited. She knows the route to Belmont Station by heart, and now accepts that a visit there will result in at least one box of beers heading home with us. On our vacation in Texas last year, she helped me discover over 30 new beers. I married well :)
    Kerrie and jcreegan like this.
  40. T-RO

T-RO Savant (410) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012 Verified

Not exactly a loved one but I got a call about an hour ago from a work friend who decided to blow off work and head to Vermont. He calls me from Waterbury and has Heady Topper and Lawsons and wants to know where next? He just arrived at Hill Farmstead.