1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stout and Oysters

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by stevensond, Dec 12, 2012.

1. stevensond

stevensond Aspirant (45) Virginia Nov 4, 2010

Looking to bust out some fresh oysters down in SC for the holidays. What are some of y'alls favorite stouts to pair with them?
  2. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

3. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

If raw... try a gueuze

Oh snap.. you wanted stout recommendations ...

Ill add also cadillac mountain from bar harbor along with the others..
  4. To my personal tastes, I think the Oyster/Stout combo really only works well with very dry, low alcohol Stouts. When you start getting into bigger Stouts with heavier coffee and chocolate notes, it just seems to clash with the seafood. Guinness or beers in the Guinness Draught style seem to be most fitting.
  5. If you make it into the Charleston area there is a good shot you can still find Holy City Bowen's Island Oyster Stout. COAST 32/50 Kolsch is nice and crisp and works very well with local seafood although not dark or roasty. My general rule of thumb is to focus on lighter bodied stouts that have a drying roastiness on the finish. Hops usually dominate the oyster and turn hot sauce and horseradish toxic (if you choose to add them.)

Smuttynose Robust Porter does well as does Holy City Pluffmud Porter (more of a brown porter.) Westbrook Dark Helmet is a Schwartz beer made with rye and should perform very well with oysters.

Enjoy your stay!
  6. Yeah oyster stouts seem to be the best, the full taste yet not over the top body seems to go well with many foods.

I haven't had a proper one (i.e. made with actual oysters) yet, though I can imagine it actually being quite nice. I had a local beer made with mussels and that was great, the seafood gives it an amazing texture.