Stout Season to IPA Season --- when do you make the switch?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I'm a creature of habit. I tend to drink darker beers (stouts, porters, barleywines, etc) starting in late Sept through the winter and then make the switch to IPAs, Pils, etc in mid to late spring.
    Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally break from my pattern for a brew or two. But its definitely the needle swinging from one to another during certain seasons.

Right now craving IPAs much earlier than normal. Maybe I'm stout'd out. Or maybe just want to pounce while the hops are fresh.

When does everyone else make the migration?

2. I make this migration every single night:) Usually start the night off with an IPA/pale and usually finish with a nice heavy stout for dessert.

I don't really change with the seasons too much...I'm always down for IPAs and Stouts

3. IPA definitely always has a Spring/summer feel to me. Guess once the weather is generally about 70 or higher I starting drinking IPA mostly.

4. Switch? I don't need any stinkin' switch! Oh wait a sec. I don't enjoy stouts so that's why I don't switch.

5. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Sometime around 8:00 PM

6. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I drink stouts/porters year-round, so I stock up on them in winter. Strong ales and quads too, though not much stocking. Brown ales and IPAs go from negligible presence in winter to small presence in summer.

7. I wont drink stouts in the summer that often, but once that first frost hits...

8. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Both are year round seasons for me.

divineaudio, jbertsch, WesM63 and 7 others like this.
  9. I am completely unaware of any season that may limit me other than breweries releasing more stouts in the winter and more IPA's in the summer. ;)

jglowe77 and Skye1024 like this.
  10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

I drink whatever, whenever, depending on certain factors. For example, a 10% Stout will do just as well as a 10% DIPA on a cold day, and a lower percent stout or IPA will do on a hot day. There's so much ABV variance for every style that I don't see the purpose of the 'stouts in winter; ipas in summer' dichotomy.

11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I drink everything year round as long as it's available or I still have some stashed away.

Skye1024 likes this.
  12. Imo, there really no longer are true seasons for any style. Stouts & IPAs are available year round and weather has almost no impact on my appetite for any particular style.

TWStandley likes this.
  13. Skye1024

Skye1024 Savant (340) Indiana Oct 3, 2009

I dont drink by season either. Only difference being I probably wouldnt sit outside on a nice spring or summer day and drink an stout. But inside, its basically the same temp year round so I drink whatever.

maxcoinage likes this.
  14. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Probably two or three times a week.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  15. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (385) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

This winter I've included with the stouts a lot of quads, dubels and doppelbocks. I suspect Hopslam will be like my first robin of spring, though migrating from the north.

fx20736 likes this.
  16. IPA's year round. In the dead of winter or in the middle of a heat wave I can drink an IPA no problem.

Stouts and Porters are around September through March here. For some reason I can't drink them in summer or spring. Maybe since it gets hot here and stouts are best when they warm up a bit.

Pils, hefeweizens, and now pale lagers are gonna be my staple this spring and summer. Refreshing, quenching beer is perfect for summer.

Saisons are better in summer too but I'll drink that year round.

17. I will drink any kind of beer at any time of year depending on what my mood is. Availability and freshness (for IPA) is my only limiting factor.

18. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (195) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

When girls start wearing skirts again and their breasts emerge from hibernation, it is officially IPA season.

jrnyc, Icarus, hopsbreath and 5 others like this.
  19. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (230) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

I think climate affects this greatly. I know in Iowa when it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity a stout doesn't sound that great. And when it's -10 degrees its all you want. I'll hang up and listen.

20. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I drink what I want, when I want. I never understood the seasonal thing.

Bitter_Echo and ncaudle like this.
  21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Good point. I live south of Detroit but still north enough where its cold as crap for a good 5 months.

22. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I was talking about this topic last night. While like many others have stated it's not so much a migration as I don't limit myself exclusively to one or the other at any particular time, I did realize that I've been drinking mostly stouts for the past 3 months and that's most likely due to the high number of great stouts that are released this time of year. I find myself "switching" to drinking IPAs more frequently when the new releases of stouts comes to a close just as some of my favorite hoppier beers are being released, ie Hopslam and Nugget Nectar.

23. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

It's barleywine season now :)

luwak likes this.
  24. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I, for one, don't agree with or follow the idea that the seasons determine what beer to be drinking.

25. It's always IPA season my friend. It might go from IPA to DIPA season...maybe, but I'd never say it's out of season.

Bitter_Echo and MADhombrewer like this.
  26. The only beer I really enjoy in a specific season is Pumpkin beer. I don't think I'd reach for one of those on Memorial Day Weekend. Outside of pumpkin, everything is up for grabs all year long, from german pils and brown ale to IPA and stout.

27. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

There's really no bad season to drink either. IPAs are year-round for me, along with stouts. Although stouts do taste better in the winter and sometimes aren't as appealing in the summer when it's really hot.

Bitter_Echo and WesM63 like this.
  28. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

These are year round for me. I'll take a good stout or IPA any time of year. For that matter, I'll take a good beer of any style any time of year.

29. When Baseball season begins!!!!!!!

MSardina1 likes this.
  30. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

I live in Florida so I drink whatever im feeling at that point in time regardless of weather. Dont really have clear cut seasons here to follow. Just Spring- Pretty Hot, Summer- Hot as hell, Fall- slightly cool, Winter- cold maybe a few times but mostly cool with a bunch of hot days thrown in.

31. I'm not picking up Oktoberfests or pumpkin beers anymore, but as soon as a little warmth is sure to stick around, I'm making that road trip up to VT for Heady!

32. Its IPA day everyday!

33. Dammit! Why did the best response on this thread have to come from a Sox fan?? I hate the Yanks too for the record.

Cheers!

MADhombrewer likes this.
  34. Seasons are so overrated!

35. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

No offense, but to many of us the sun does not rise and set with stouts and IPAs.

36. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Well considering some great IPA's are at their freshest during the winter months I'll drink them regularly.

37. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

There are no seasons. Just drink em as they come.

Cheers!

38. I could drink an IPA anytime of the year. But when its 90 degrees in the middle of July with feet scorching pavement sitting by the pool or the beach, a big stout to me a least doesn't sound too appealing. Cold as shite out, impy stout time.

39. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

It's 70 - 80F across Florida today. Winter is dead, long live IPA season.