Stout Season to IPA Season --- when do you make the switch?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Jan 11, 2013.

1. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I love beer season the best just have a hard time deciding what beer to drink

:)

2. I drink whatever, whenever. I live in Miami. We don't get seasons.

3. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I usually jump around in beer styles from week to week or month to month, so really I never make a full on switch from one style to the next.

4. Thread made me realize, I still drink a lot of IPA's in the winter, all year for that matter, but not many stouts in the summer. Stout are not conducive to a hot day, where IPA's taste great wherever, whenever.

Bitter_Echo and audioserf like this.
  5. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I drink more stout's in the winter, but I don't stop drinking IPA's or drink any less of them. Year round love affair.

6. Angels fan? They are suppose to rip up the leagues...again.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Lately I've been drinking up my IPAs and "cellaring" my stouts. I may have enough stouts for next winter.

8. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

It is a seasonal...and when I say that I mean daily....path that I walk. More often than not we begin with a delicious Jai Alai.. or something similarily awesome. Often it ends there...but if I'm having more than 2 beers... #3 is usually an imperial stout of one ilk or another.

9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

We hardly have seasons in Miami, so i just drink anything at any time of year

10. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Hard to consider this "stout season" when we're getting Lagunitas Sucks and Hopslam.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  11. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (465) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

The only styles I tend to reserve for a particular season are Weiss, Wit, and Barleywine. Tend to only drink wheat beers in warm weather and a snifter of Barleywine is expressly made for winter. Can't think of another style I wouldn't drink year round including Imperial Stout.

12. I usually can't get into full IPA mood unless its at least in the mid 60's regularly. So that means a couple more months for me.

13. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I'm with you. Perhaps global warming has turned your taste buds? IPAs are an any time brew for me. Love the big, thicker, heavier brews Late Sept/Oct to March.

14. WesM63

WesM63 Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 6, 2011

As with many others, no specific seasons for me.

Although, I do favor Stouts in the winter, IPA's in Spring and Wits/Hefe's in the Summer.

15. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

However long my KBS lasts me after release.

16. There's a season? If so, I'm a notorious poacher.

FEUO likes this.
  17. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Aficionado (100) New York Dec 13, 2012

The philosophy of seasonal drinking is no longer relevant
    There are several great IPAs you can't pass up due to limited availability and freshness. I got 2 cases of Heady while in VT over Christmas. Who is storing that until spring time?
    Stone sums it up perfectly with their Enjoy By x/x/x. If I am lucky to get some that date dictates the season.

18. There's a season for beers? ;)

Eschewing traditions, i like to drink whatever i'm in the mood for. Could be an IPA when -30C or a RIS on a sweltering summer day.

19. No need to switch. If you dont know what to do, fill half glass with stout, fill the rest with IPA. Problem solved.

20. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Florida + Me not drinking Pale Ale's = Stouts, Porters, Quads, Strong Ales & Barleywines all year long!

21. Hello. I have sevaral cases of Stout of various years in the dark, ready to quaf. Stone, Night Stalker, Big John, Dark Lord, Sierra Nevada 30th, Big Hugs, Bitches Brew, etc. Then I get barraged with IPA/IIPA limited release seaon. Sucks, HopSlam, Plate Wrecker, etc. So my Stouts sit for another year. Can't break the chain. Thanks.

22. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

For me it goes:
    Late winter (after the holidays)- Imperial stouts, barleywines, doppelbocks, scotch ales

Spring- maibocks, wit biers, IPA's, pilsners,

Early summer- Pilsners, wheat beers, pale ales, kolsch's, saisons are my favorite

Late summer- red ales/lagers, porters, marzens (of course)

Autumn- all belgian styles, pumpkin beers, all of the same beers from late winter

Early winter (before/during the holidays)- holiday themed seasonal beers, spiced dark beer, barleywine, quads

I do though, of course, drink all style all years round.

23. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

i like all beers at all times, just depends on my mood.

24. I swing both ways year round, twice as many dates that way. Wait, what were we talking about?

25. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Do you live in the Southern Hemisphere? Otherwise the hops were fresh in August/September, most recently.

26. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

winter never lived here lol. Supposed to be low 60s tonight. Never know when a 40s 50s day will sprout up

27. Yezzzir. Halos should be interesting again this year. Hoping Trout can avoid the notorious Sophmore Slump...

28. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I don't care much for IPA's, but I just decided it's my favorite season.

29. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

My bad as I should have clarified by talking about freshly brewed IPAs. :)
    Fussy fussy. :p

30. Sprinkle in a few free roaming anacondas and flesh eating zombies here and there...sounds beautiful. ;-)

kirbmeist likes this.
  31. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

On December 31st every year, I make the switch from IPAs to IPAs for the new year!

32. Air Conditioning = Year Round Drinking of Everything You Want

cubbyswans likes this.
  33. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Whenever I get bored with that particular style.

34. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone actually care about seasons, or temperatures with beer? I've consumed every kind of beer, in every kind of seasons, with every kind of weather. Doesn't matter, drink beer.

kirbmeist likes this.
  35. Last Night the switch occurred at 1:17 a.m.
    At 12:30 I opened a Founders Imperil Stout.
    At 1:17 I opened up a pliny and followed that up with some Flower Power.
    I am happy to report that it was a smooth transition.

I drink IPAs and Stouts all year long. A preponderance of one over the other is dependent upon my mood and not the weather.

36. I don't. All beers all the time.

37. My thoughts mirrored.I drink practically all my beers in pubs and they have things like central heating and log fires so the ambient supping temperatures aren't seasonal! Only trouble is stouts get a little rarer in the summer. On a hot day nothing beats a decent session beer.Last thing I want is anything with strength because I'm thirsty! A few pints of refreshingly cool (works better than cold) ale in a beer garden kills anything else stone dead.Luckily skunking isn't a problem.
    I do see stouts a little more in the winter plus barley wines (I only drink cask beers so am subject to drinking what I can find) and I'll admit it's lovely to sup one by a pub log fire.
    If I do drink bottled beer it's at home and I select on strength as much as anything.That's because of what I might want to be doing later such as driving.

38. I tend to mainly drink stout/porter during the fall and winter, but sometimes they hit the spot on a cool summer evening too. IPA's - I just drink them year round :D. When I think of "summer" beer, I think of a Munich Helles lager or some type of pale ale.

39. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Aficionado (100) New York Dec 13, 2012

During the cold winter I go heavy with the porridge.
    Spring you need honey nut cheerios, captain crunch with peanut butter of its fresh.
    Summer is fruity pebbles or a trix. If lucky some lucky charms.
    Early fall count chocula, franken and boo berry, if you have a vintage fruity yummy mummy crack it open.
    Late fall corn flakes, corn pops and cookie crisps.
    If you are a poor loser its generic flakes, puffs, and 'O's all year. Then drink some PBRs and lie to yourself that you' re cool and keeping it real.

This thread is ridiculous.

40. Kind of already have because we're already thawing out in Pittsburgh, but at the same time I was already wearing myself out on big, dark beers. I still have some that I need to get through, like some Labyrinth and some extra Breakfast Stouts and the like I had laying around, and stuff like Walker's Reserve, Narwhal, Founders Imperial that I just got a hold of yesterday, but as soon as I bought my case of Celebration I knew I was ready to move back into lighter affair. I just got some Firestone IPA and Daisy Cutter yesterday too. I'll probably pop those open watching football this afternoon.