1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stouts to put away

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Folks,

Interesting one that I would like your input on. I have started putting down stouts now for next year. I also did some from last year with mixed results as follows:-

• Coopers Best Extra - 750. ALEBOY's most welcome suggestion. Came out still fully carbonated, flavours mellowing nicely, felt like it could go another year or more easily.
    • Mad Brewers Stout Noir. Kinda survived the winter but in doing so seemed to lose of lot of body, and also for a licorice stout, lost all the licorice. No head left on pour.
    • Murrays Wild Thing. Excellent result. Much more integrated flavours and lost no body at all. Still tasted (and looked) great
    • Dreadnought - not opened yet.

So - having said that - what's the suggestions to buy now to put away?

• Red Duck Ox seemed a bit thin to suggest it would last.
    • Red Hill Imperial Stout - seemed too young but still big enough to improve.
    • Murrays HoD and SITA all seem candidates but unsure.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
  2. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

Might want to pour that Dreadnought through a sieve. Wasn't there problems with glass shards in some of the bottles?
  3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Wild Thing for sure.

Agree with the Coopers, the brewery did too when they released Special Old Stout for a few years.

Had a Dreadnought at a blind tasting back in January - well after the release - and it was very good.

Haven't had The Ox in ages, but a friend of mine loved it with some time on it. I understand another batch has just been released.

I haven't opened any Seasons in the Abyss yet, so can't comment.

I've found the Moo Brew Barrel Aged (it's really oak aged not barrel aged) Imperial Stout can do better with some time on it, depending on the year. Some years have been super oak bombs, others more mellow, so it can be good for the oak to drop off a bit on the real oak dominant years. Had the first year recently and it was getting past it though.

Haven't bought much Red Hill since they went all anti-NSW for a bit, so can't really comment.

The reviews for the original version of Clout Stout have been good and it has had some time on it. The recent release was held back by the brewery for a good while...was it a year or so??
  4. MrKennedy

Yep, that was the one they recalled.
  5. Brew Boys Ace of Spades I've kept up to a couple of years and wish I'd had more to keep longer.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  6. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

If put away is in the sense of put down the hatch, this monk coconut stout they've just released at the Freo brewery is to die for. Back on topic I like a well aged barleywine, but I'm a fresh beer man first and foremost. Can't stand oxidative notes in beer
  7. I doooo really wish I had put the second bottle of Firestone Walker Parabola away ...
  8. What happens to the bourbon-ness of beers like parabola with ageing?

I had parabola for first time last weekend (2012 bottle) and given that i wasnt a big fan of bourboned beers to start with, am not surprised that i liked wild thing and speedwat stout much more

Only stouts im cellaring are coopers best extra... And de molen rasputin and hel & verdoemnis. No idea if the de molens expectef to age well or not
  9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

in my experience aging stouts is vastly overrated, barleywines (and sours) age far better

if it is a good stout on release it may turn into a less good one if it's in the cellar for years

the stuff you want to age are really dry or alcoholic stouts as often beers seem to become sweeter as they age, potentially due to the loss of hop bitterness

am aging a fair amount of 2012 wild thing and SITA, but that's mainly because they weren't all that great on release
    vkv822 likes this.
  10. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

I've got 1 Clout Stout to put away. It's amazing at the moment, so it will be good to see what it's like in a year or two. The Murrays Anniv. (not stout I know, but Mr Danieelol opened the door to discussion) that Mr Spicelab sent to me in the BIF is being stored with a bottle of the previous years, a couple of Old Rasp's have been hidden by Mistress Mordecia because I can't be trusted not to drink them and the Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S will hopefully do better then Ned Stark and survive the summer months to see next winter.
  11. Cant comment on the age-ing affect on the Parabola type beers, but i did age for 6 years a barley wine ... the flavour hops dropped off and mellowed, and it sadly ran out ...
  12. ah well, found out another one that is an ideal candidate for age.

8 wired iStout.

Shame i found that it is an ideal candidate for aging by opening one last night...... :mad:
  13. MrKennedy

The bottle i had tasted like it had lost an Inferno match with Kane
  14. I would always put down Coopers.

Also suggest tracking down some Southwark Stout and trying it for a year.

The Dreadnought is best drunk.