1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stouts with chilies?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlexFields, Jan 19, 2013.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I've been falling in love with this style of spicy imperial stout, starting with Hunahpu's and more recently when i had Abraxas. I also have/know about Mexican Cake, the Clown Shoes stouts, and the FFF Dark Lord and Moloko variations. Are there any other stouts/imperial stouts brewed with chilies that I should try?
  2. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

pipeworks end of days is a good one
    AlexFields likes this.
  3. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Great Divide's Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti has some cayenne in it, so you might be interested in that one. I liked it, the spice is noticeable but not overpowering.
    DelMontiac, dcs1548 and Leepa_Time like this.
  4. AlexFields

Oh yeah! I've had both of those actually I just forgot about them I was typing the original post.
  5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Jester King Whiskey and Weasel Rodeo
    lokieman and kmello69 like this.
  6. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I also love this style and decided to make my own. Blended Bourbon County, ST Choklat and muttled serrano chili's from my garden. Ratios of components are critical. It turned out amazing and was the talk of the bottle share.
    TastyIsBeer and AlexFields like this.
  7. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

8. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Lost Abbey Judgement Day
    Clown Shoes Luchador en Fuego (just launched, I believe)
    Sierra Nevada Hellriaser

There are some more listed here http://beerstreetjournal.com/tag/chili-peppers/ but they get into other flavors and diferent peppers.
  9. Hunahpu, although the chile notes are very prominent.
    wchris21 likes this.
  10. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

11. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

stone smoked porter is decent. if you ever make it to moline il stop in at bent river they have a jalapeƱo ale that is really good. another one that i've come is green chili ale from a small brewery in colombia mo called flat branch
  12. AlexFields

The problem is I really don't like smoked beers and beers with chilies are also often smoked. Not a big fan of the Stone chipotle smoked porter for this reason.
    powz87 likes this.
  13. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Perennial Abraxas - only thing I've had that was almost as good as Hunahpu's
    troymeier likes this.
  14. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Death wasn't too bad. I've had it on tap and bottled....
  15. N8DAGR8

N8DAGR8 Aficionado (230) Maine Mar 15, 2011

You should also try Mikkeller Chipotle Porter, it is pretty good.There is not much heat at first but then it builds!
  16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

The Ska Cocoa Mole was good
    powz87 and TastyIsBeer like this.
  17. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

unclejazz likes this.
  18. Copper Kettle in Denver makes a great one. Mexican Chocolate Stout. Unfortunately it's pint and growlers only.
  19. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

This style is definitely a love/hate thing. Some people love them and some people hate them.
  20. troymeier

troymeier Aficionado (100) Missouri Nov 17, 2005

Abraxas is pretty amazing
  21. Duclaw H.E.R.O. is another.
  22. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Mikkeller makes a Chipotle stout, jester king Weasel rodeo has peppers as well. Weasel Rodeo I liked, never had the mikkeller
  23. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (510) New York Oct 24, 2011

I only tried Hunahpu once and was floored. The beers I have had with chili pepper are as follows:

New Belgium Cocoa Mole-a bit thinner but great flavored that came together well
    Clown Shoes Chocolate Sumbrero-about the same mouthfeel as Cocoa Mole, but less cinnamon. Pretty good
    Jester King Weasel Rodeo- good coffee flavors, more of a hint of chili. understated in a good way.
    Elysian Peste Chocolate Chili beer-almost undrinkable, unpleasant ceyanne pepper aftertaste mixed with soy sauce

I just got some Luchador en Fuego in a trade and will post my review, hoping the bourbon barrel blend well with the modified base beer.
  24. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Came to say mexican chocolate stout as well as ska autumnal mole stout. Get yourself a denver tading partner for growlers of mexi choco stout. Well worth it. I know new belgiums cocoa mole was dynamite, but was a brown ale. Still a great drink though. Billies chilis is the most chile forward beer I've had, ever. I love green chile, but that was too much.
  26. the lips of faith mole was pretty awesome. I wish i would have bought extra bottles of that!
  27. Copper Kettle's Mexican Chocolate Stout is far and away the best. There are several good ones though. The NB Cocoa Mole was ok. Ska and Clown Shoes both had good takes on the style.

The worst by far were the Jester King attempts. Just not well balanced and not a very interesting flavor.
  28. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Savant (395) Illinois Dec 13, 2006

If you get to Taos New Mexico, Eske has a good green chili beer (and good beer generally).
  29. AlexFields

Haha yeah I am working on a trade with a Denver trader right now and I messaged him after reading this thread to ask him if he could get me a growler. I think I'll be trying this beer soon! Thanks y'all for the recommendation.