1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stronger beer now legal in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by elkinbrown, Jul 1, 2012.

1. elkinbrown

elkinbrown Savant (310) Ohio Jul 30, 2011

http://www.wdam.com/story/18925433/brewery-celebrates-new-law-with-production-of-beer-at-midnight
    Being from MS, this is huge. Staring today, no more endless shelfs of BMC... hopefully. I have always drove to Tennessee for Stone, Victory, Green Flash; and Alabama for Founders, Bells, Cigar City. Just maybe one of those will make it to MS.
    frazbri and happy4hoppybeer like this.
  2. A step in the right direction is great. Still only up to 8% though?
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Progress!
    happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  4. elkinbrown

New Law: 8% ABW or 10.2% ABV
    Previously: 6% ABV

Progress indeed.
  5. Ah ABW. That makes a lot more sense.
  6. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

And I thought Ohio was bad with 12% cap..
    MaxSpang likes this.
  7. elkinbrown

The story of Raise Your Pints.

dbossman likes this.
  8. Drewskis

Drewskis Disciple (55) Jun 20, 2012

Good to hear about the increase.
  9. So does this mean that out-of-state brewers can only sell in MS if their beers are under 10.2% ABV?
  10. elkinbrown

No beer over 10.2% ABV can be sold in Mississippi.
  11. That bites.
  12. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

it's better than 6% ABV like before. It should allow a lot of breweries that had written the state off due to how little of their product could be sold to decide to edge into the market. Granted I don't think that MS has a huge craft beer following but it's also an untapped market. I drove to Pensacola when I lived in Biloxi just to get my hands on some of the good stuff.
  13. Without this change in law we wouldn't have Lazy Magnolia's (MS Brewery) best offering to date, a 9% rye imperial IPA known as the Timber Beast. It's been good to see some of Rouge's, Abita's, and Tallgrass' higher abv beers being sold in the state already. I'm looking forward to finally being able to buy SN Torpedo, Bigfoot, and Celebration Ale locally. I'm sure that other breweries will expand into the state. I know the state of Alabama has made tremendous strides since their chance in law a couple of years ago.
  14. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

This is good for Mississippi and it's also good for the rest of us.
  15. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Good job, Mississippi!

This gives me hope that Ohio will get its shit together and get rid of that silly 12% ABV cap. Not to mention the crazy growler laws...
  16. robconoclast

robconoclast Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 22, 2012

Which growler law is that ? (fellow buckeye).
  17. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

There's some peculiar rules regarding what type of store can sell growlers and hold beer tastings. I don't know what they are exactly, but from my understanding you have to either be a wine store or a grocery store to be able to have beer tastings or sell growlers. Funny thing is, it's not that hard to be allowed to have liquor tastings.

Don't quote me on anything - like I said, I'm not 100% positive on what the laws are, but I have heard a bit about this from a local beer store owner who is trying to host tastings and sell growlers but can't due to the wacky laws.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Limit on ABV in beer?

I think members of the Mississippi legislature would have a heart attack if someone told them about Brewdog's The End of History.
  19. Long time comming, I remember years ago Mississippi beer drinkers started pushing for a change.
  20. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

or wine ;)
  21. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

Now that you mention it, everywhere I can think of that sells growlers or has tastings in Columbus fits that... except Zauber (growler fills only, during certain times).
    MaxSpang likes this.
  22. What I've seen so far is "high gravity malt liquor" like Olde English HG800, Steel Reserve Triple Export, and something called "Icehouse Edge".
  23. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

who cares? just buy whiskey and chase it with regular beer.
  24. Wow, that really opens things up for you guys. 6% abv? Whew, that's ridiculous.