1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Style Progression

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Anker13, Jan 29, 2013.

1. It seems like a lot of my craft beer friends are on some sort of (negative) parabolic curve... They start with lightly flavored beers and then slowly drink higher ABV and more flavorful offerings, but after a certain point they ease up on the big beers and start exploring the subtly flavored beers.

I started out like any other beer drinker with the light beers, then moved onto wits, then IPAs, etc. Before I knew it I was onto DIPAs, Barleywines, and Quads. However, now I go for the "old reliables" and the session beers I can have a few of in a row without descending into the depths of drunkville. Of course I still go for the big beers every once and a while, but I usually don't stock my fridge with them.

Did anyone else follow this progression? Was it a different shaped curve?
  2. I think this is a typical progression for a lot of people. They get a taste of something higher ABV/hopped/soured/etc. and want to go more and more extreme because obviously more is better. Then they realize the best beers are balanced ABV/hopped/soured/etc.
  3. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

My progression followed this path and I've also heard the same for wine drinkers; starting with lighter and less intimidating styles, working their way to bolder styles and learning along the way, then going back to the lighter styles and discovering what they may have missed.

Made me more appreciative of Munich Helles and German Pilsner.
  4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

all roads end with boxes from Belgium labeled "live yeast samples," shelves full of vintage lambic and empty bank accounts.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

The people at road's end, staring at their shelves of vintage lambic, are mistaken in thinking the journey ends with the road. You see, where we're going, we don't need roads.
    Anker13 and Providence like this.
  6. I followed a similar progression. Crappy lagers that turned me off beer, easy drinking craft offerings like Magic Hat #9, SNPA and Long Trail, progression to IPA's, progression to barleywines and big belgians, prgoression to HUGE stouts and DIPA's, progression back to sessionable brews, progression back to sessionable lagers.

Right now, if I could have any beer, it'd be a 20 oz. imperial pint of Sam Adams Noble Pils.

Of course, everyone works differently. My wife went from drinking Stella to drinking DFH 90 min. Of course, that's where things stopped. She digs saisons and other belgians, but is still drinking DIPAs almost exclusively.
    checktherhyme likes this.