1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Style Representations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Passionaite-Liquid-Elixir, Feb 4, 2013.

1. I want to bring up a question which has lingered in my mind for some time. I have just started to truly drink beer. By this I mean to take notes, logs, tasting, research, etc. But what I find difficult is what beers are truly representing the style its trying to make?
    I fall into the belief that beer brewing is just like an artist painting, building, or playing music, that's its just there take on it no matter how you look at it. We group painters by stating if they're modern or progressive, or whatever, and we group music by genres, rock, alternative, etc. But not all painters or musicians follow the "rules." So with beer How can I find, for example, of a true 'American Double' or Russian Imperial Stout, or Heffeweizen.

Guidance? Thoughts? Comments?

2. Hefeweizen? Look at the well known traditional Bavarian ones. I've had Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Schneider, Ayinger, Paulaner, and Erdinger. With the exception of Schneider, which is a little bit darker and maltier, they're variations on a theme. Erdinger, IMO, is the weakest amongst them though. Weihenstephaner is widely seen as the best of them, though I remember a best weissbier thread where Paulaner had it's fans as well.

3. Bear in mind that style guidelines are simply the writer's opinions.
    Beer exists over a vast spectrum and any attempt to tie down styles in neat compartments is an exercise in futility.Even with punlished guidelines very frequently there is more diversity within a style than between two neighbouring ones.
    It's also worth bearing in mind that much of what we call our beers began as simple names. That's why the same beer could be described differently at different times and/or in different locations.
    For example Caledonian Brewery's Edinburgh Strong Ale is sold in the USA as Edinburgh Scotch Ale.

mintjellie, RichardMNixon and frazbri like this.
  4. I think as you continue further in your journey…researching, tasting, discussing… you'll discover what beers are widely considered great examples of certain styles. Looking at the “most popular” lists for each style here on BA is a great place to start if you haven’t see that yet. For example, here’s a list of hefewizens
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/89

The thing to keep in mind however, is that some beers may be exemplary of its style, and some beers are simply icons within their style, and you’re more likely to hear about the latter. But some are both. For example, you mentioned Double IPAs. Many might say Russian River’s Pliny the Elder is THE example of a DIPA. While others may have another personal preference, most people can agree to Pliny’s cult status.

Regarding the RIS style – many would probably agree that something like Old Rasputin is iconic given its value, wide availability, and flavor that pleases many. However, is it considered to be THE russian imperial stout? That question will give you a myriad of answers that will speak to everyone’s personal taste for that style.

In other styles, like ambers, or brown ales, what’s “correct” may be seen as boring. What may score high in those categories may be something that’s overly hopped to appeal to today’s beer geek crowd…but isn't seen as traditionally correct.

I’ll stop rambling. Can you tell I’m bored at work?

5. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

THE Russian Stout is obviously Courage.

6. Isn't Courage supposed to be the modern descendant of the first RIS? Or something like that.

Could it also be said that Pilsner Urquell is the same for bohemian pils? Even if the recipe has changed over time, its still the original golden lager right?

7. For Saisons: Saison Dupont

(Hands down, IMO.)

8. Thank you. That's what I thought that it really is impossible to categorize at such scrutiny to find a perfect match. But personally I have been on a dark beer rampage: RIS, Stouts, barrel aged, etc. I just wanted a guideline to look for in those styles. I wanted to find a common area in which all should have and if thy have something new and Exxon them I wanted to understand that that particular aroma or taste is due to the craftsmanship of the brewer.

9. patto1ro

It is the descendent of the original.

10. What was the original?

11. patto1ro

Thrale's IBSt.

12. I'm going to play the BJCP card and say that on their style guidelines they have numerous commercial epitome examples of beer styles.

steveh likes this.
  13. Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout is IMHO what the original RIS was/tasted like. Something tells me it only got better and became something like John Courage as time went on.

14. patto1ro

Not really. The Le Coq/Harveys is an 1850's Barclay Perkins IBSt recipe.The 18th-century version would have been quite different, being 100% brown malt. Barclay Perkins were taken over by Courage in the 1950's and started brewing Russin Stout after Barclay's Park Street brewery closed in 1968.

I was lucky enough to drink a 1977 Courage Russian Stout last year and it tasted remarkably like the Le Coq. Particularly the Brettanomyces chgaracter. Mind you, the Brettanomyces had an extra 40 years in the Courage.

15. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

The Beer Judge Certificate Program publishes style guidelines which can be found here:
    http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Definitely the best resource and it includes a list of beers that represent each style. Though, with all the interesting craft beers coming out, some of the styles may be hybrids of the BJCP guidelines.

16. The BJCP guidelines have more than their share of critics and it's imperative to accept that these guidelines are merely opinions and interpretations.There's a sort of circular argument , begin with writing down your take on a particular style then use commercial brews which fit what you wrote as exemplars of the style! It's not unknown for the same beer , sold under different labels, to be placed in two separate styles.
    If you use anything other than very loose "rules" you will run into anomalies and contradictions because brewers didn't brew with styles in mind; the entire concept of styles didn't exist (except as loose overall names) until quite recently by which time the genie was out of the bottle.

17. Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique or Smuttynose Baltic Porter are THE baltic porters as far as I'm concerned.

18. For Baltic Porters, I gotta go with Zyweic porter. Cheap&tasty = iconic

19. spicoli00

is there an alternative? dude is asking for guidance and BJCP is the most comprehensive style guide i have seen. Of course brewers are brewing with a style in mind. Otherwise, they'd just label everything ale or lager.

20. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Consecrator is typically considered the doppelbock benchmark.

21. Pick up the book, Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher.
    He lists most styles and gives a few commercial examples for each. Those beers listed will give you a good idea of what the style is about, but even among those recommendations you'll find there is no definitive single beer when it comes to defining a particular style.

22. Yes, it's comprehensive.(except for the styles it ignores) But is it accurate or authoritative?- many would say not.It has some glaring faults and omissions.
    The styles we now know didn't arise from any conscious effort to brew "to style" , for one reason the whole concept was way in the future.Their brews were reactions to conditions and circumstances , names were often changed-so a beer could be sold as a porter at one time or place but a stout in another. Bitter, Pale ale and IPA were commonly used to describe the same beer.It's not possible to unravel all the background and come up with a definitive set of rules. Beer exists in a spectrum; like colours it's not possible to tie down where one ends and another begins without being arbitrary.

Ranbot likes this.
  23. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Some would say the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) creates too many beer styles, and often somewhat arbitrarily so that they are able to issue more awards at beer judging competitions. Brewers like getting awards, the BJCP likes giving out awards, the more award categories they make, the more beers/brewers can be given awards...everyone is happy! In fact, some might even say the BJCP is as much a marketing tool for brewers as it is an authority on beer styles.

However, I agree with you that the BJCP is not a terrible place to look for style guidelines and examples of beers. I just wouldn't say they have the final say the matter. One should keep the BJCP's purpose and their incentives in mind.

I would echo Marquis and urge people to resist the temptation of over-classifying beers. Beers exist multi-dimensional spectrum of malts, hops, roast, texture, additives, and more. Besides, you might miss a great beer just because it doesn't fall comfortably within some arbitrary style rules.

24. spicoli00

Partially agree with this. Historically, some styles arose for the city or region where they were brewed. Pilsner comes to mind. Others indicate the style that it is, say schwarzbier (black beer) or rauchbier (smoked beer). The logistics of delivering the input ingredients meant early brewers had to use local ingredients. Similarly, the resulting beer could not really be transported out of the region. These are styles nonetheless and can be traced back in history. As beer evolved, was there some overlap in styles? Probably. But at some point it turns into a new style. You'll notice that BJCP calls them style guidelines not rules. Never said it was the bible. Again, just trying to help dude get a frame of reference. Drink what you like and call it what you want.

25. patto1ro

If you think European brewers are brewing with BJCP styles in mind you're living in fantasy land.

26. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Irish dry stout: Guinness Extra Stout

Y'all can keep your nitro bullshit.

27. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I thought Celebrator was? My bad. Speaking of German lagers, I find Ayinger's and Hacker Pschorr's Oktoberfest brews to be the benchmark(s) of the Marzen/Oktoberfest style. (Though I do enjoy Great Lakes's and Victory Festbier just as much, if not more than those brews.)

TongoRad and Ranbot like this.
  28. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Lol, you're right, I'm an idiot. I get the names confused, I guess. But yeah, I meant to say Celebrator.

:-x

29. Once upon a time not all that long ago...the BJCP and what is now the Brewers Association were sort of tied together and adopted the BJCP as the standard for guidelines. Though when the honeymoon was over they went their seperate ways.

Rather than bash BJCP. I find that almost and I stress 'almost' all commercial breweries brew their beer in the way they choose and then find a category for the GABF or World Beer Cup using the guidelines now published annually by the Brewers Association. By far the most complete in the industry. These are continually updated and reflect the contemporary interpetation as well as historical.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/7526/2012_BA_Beer_Styles_Final.pdf

30. spicoli00

reading comprehension, i can have some?

31. spicoli00

thanks Tash, I haven't seen this style guide. Nice alternative to the BJCP.

32. BJCP is for homebrew competitions. Awards are given for the style, not substyles. The awards are given by the competition organizers, most often an local homebrew club.

If you want a lot of styles and awards look at the BS guidelines for the GABF and WBC.

33. Jmitchell3

Jmitchell3 Savant (345) Arizona Apr 2, 2013

Your point is well taken. For me this question of style representation is more about learning to be conversant in beer at large, and less about strictly classifying any given brew. Given the art metaphor, I think the same is true. The academics tend to ruin this idea by taking the classification systems to extremes, IMO.

34. I wouldnt focus too much on the most popular by style lists, because many of the trendy (albeit excellent) but not necessarily standard of the style beers find there way onto that list. For example, a RIS brewed with cherries, cocoa nibs, cinnamon and aged in 4 types of barrels then blended together, may be very highly rated but its not a good example of the basic RIS style. Id seek out the well established, well known standards of the styles. The Beers of Fame list may be a good start.

Jmitchell3 and TongoRad like this.