1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Substitute for Zombie Dust?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by --Dom--, Jan 29, 2013.

1. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

So I love Zombie Dust, I mean who doesn't? The problem is obviously it's about as hard to find as a frickin 4 leaf clover. I live less than 5 minutes away from the brewery, which by the way is the only place they sell it in bottles, and I can't even get my hands on it. So have you had it? And if so, can you think of a subtitute? Something available, sessionable, reasonably priced? What's your go to session ale?
  2. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I have a recipe if that helps

;)
    kojevergas and YaKnowBrady like this.
  3. HoosierBrew

HoosierBrew Disciple (65) Indiana Jan 12, 2013

Go Wednesday or Thursday mid day. If you wait til Friday or Saturday they're probably sold out due to demand. I've made several trips from Valpo and always get it. $10/six or $35/case. Drinking one now actually. If you we're here I'd offer you one. Cheers.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. uh.. it's kinda everywhere in Chicago if you know where to look.... and the brewery has it often.
    mbockstruck30 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

Only place they sell it in bottles is the brewery? Hardly. They distribute to Chicago in quite a few locations, from your classy bottle shops to Binny's. Problem is that everyone buys a case when they see it and it sells out real fast. You gotta know when and where to look!

There's no real substitute for it, but if you haven't tried Bell's Two Hearted it's inexpensive and you'll get that readily available. It's 90% as good IMO.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Flower Power is sorta close but ZD stands on its own, that's for sure.
  7. KillaB

KillaB Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 29, 2013

Victory's Hop Devil
  8. Two Hearted has never impressed me. I've never had ZD or FP. But if your looking for tangerine, grapefruit, citra explosion dance party breakfast ipa.... find Head Hunter.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  9. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Bear Republic Racer X and Columbus Brewing Co's IPA or Bodhi DIPA which is supposedly being bottled for the first time this month so be on the lookout.
    MrRockstar likes this.
  10. --Dom--

Was looking on beermenus, looks like these Ohio brews don't distribute outside Ohio. Bummer.
  11. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Don't believe that for a second dude... I live 2 1/2 hours away and I was able to get it at the pub. Suck it up! ("Sucks" is truly working on my ZD cravings)
    founder26 likes this.
  12. --Dom--

Ya I wasn't saying you can't get it on tap. I just had it on tap Saturday. And ya Sucks rules. In fact, amma go open one up right now :D
  13. awhipker

awhipker Aficionado (195) Indiana Oct 15, 2010

Closest thing that I've had was Peeper from Maine Brewing Co.
    damngoode, hxcmomma and SammyJaxxxx like this.

14. I wish I agreed since I can get Peeper so easily, but its a huge difference IMO. I have one bottle of ZD left however so I am going to have to do some of my own comparisons listed here : )

Luckily I have a few bottles of 'sucks' as well
  15. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Schlafly TIPA is somewhat close but may be hard to find now that they are done brewing it for the year
    WhiteJordan likes this.
  16. Flower Power is basically a clone of ZD. I have my bullet proof vest on from all the hate-shrapnel this post will cause! Headwaters Pale Ale by Victory is in the same spirit as ZD. Bitter American by 21st Amendment is also in the same spirit, but not a clone. I would just sample many different American Pale Ales to see what you think is close. Southern Tier has Live coming out that is VERY close! There are a few that come very close, but none are 100%. The citra hops is the key here!
  17. SweetWater IPA is a very grapefruit citrus heavy IPA, I think you'd like it, though they don't distribute very far.
  18. GET IT AT BINNYS! Great clarity! Roby Tones!
    Steimie and YaKnowBrady like this.
  19. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

o_O
    Lordquackingstic likes this.
  20. Flower power came out first...I agree they are very similar but it would be more proper to say ZD is a clone of FP.
    vande, LucienDeRubempre and jpvenezia like this.
  21. Agreed. While ZD is absolutely awesome, Flower Power being so much easier to get in our area (Philadelphia) versus ZD, makes it even better.
  22. If I may also kindly ask: is there a reason why you would only drink one beer and fear for not having it? I did enjoy Zombie Dust very much so, so I can see and understand the love.

But if I may share my personal thoughts. As much as I would love a beer(Verdi Imperial Stout is my ALL time favorite) I would be ok with not having it. As the old adage goes: You can not enjoy the sweet without have tasted the sour. Or even better yet, Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
  23. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Where do you look in chicago?
  24. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

Dude, it's available in cases at the pub all the time. At a completely awesome price of $35. If you live 5 minutes away you should be loaded with it.
  25. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (295) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is incredible. One of the few IPA's that tastes as good as ZD (or maybe better)
  26. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Aspirant (45) Illinois Oct 24, 2012

Tasmanian IPA better than ZD, please sir. I'm working and don't want to erupt in laughter as I just did. must be from St Louis.

it's definitely good, maybe great. just leave it at that.
  27. awhipker

awhipker Aficionado (195) Indiana Oct 15, 2010

It's been a while since I had ZD but I had Peeper this last weekend when I was in DC and I immediately thought of ZD. I could give a better opinion if I had them side by side.
  28. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (295) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Nope, actually I live in Chicago. To each their own. I thought Tasmanian was amazing. Granted ZD is the one beer I could drink everyday for the rest of my life, sometimes I enjoy a change.
  29. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Look for some of your local, small brewpubs coming out with Mosiac hopped IPAs... It's similar, and hasn't blown up yet. Sample, full growlers and win.
  30. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

This, sucks taste a lot like zdust
  31. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, I guess he expected you to deliver it to his doorstep. And when you didn't, he says he just can't seem to get it! ;)
  32. --Dom--

oh them citra hops..... how they haunt my palate. Thanks to all who made it a fun discussion, that's all it was meant to be, some of you guys need to lighten up.
  33. Waiting for someone to suggest SN Torpedo. Because someone always does. And they are wrong. I don't care that it also has citra.
  34. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Can anyone say White Rajah from the Brew Kettle????
    falcon1, craigo19 and Stinger80OH like this.
  35. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I think you may have meant ZD is a clone of FP....FP has been around a lot longer ;)
    LucienDeRubempre likes this.
  36. Closest I've found is Odd Side Citra Pale Ale, but that's tap only...
    lurpy1 and founder26 like this.
  37. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (535) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Toppling Goliath PseudoSue is very similar to Zombie Dust imo. I actually like it even better. It's on tap fairly regularly here in Madison, not sure about where you are.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  38. The only 21st Amendment's Bitter American has in common with Zombie Dust is that its made with hops. Its a completely different style.
    jminch likes this.
  39. I think u better check this very web site. Both beers are labeled as APA for style. Last time I had them side by side, they seemed very similar.
  40. I agree they need to be compared directly to get a good comparison. Hopefully I will get a chance to