1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Substitute for Zombie Dust?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by --Dom--, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Dude, Bitter American is a very crisp, low ABV pale ale with a delicate balance of Biscuity malts and light citrus-y hops. Zombie Dust is an in your face tropical hop bomb that stradles the line of a pale ale and an india pale ale.
  2. What? You live 5 mins from FFF and cant get zd? Its almost always available! Go to the damn brewery!
    Casedogg43 and tut2528 like this.
  3. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

+1 to Sucks... in fact, I had it on tap and thought it was better than ZD (just my $0.02)
  4. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I don't understand how FP is compared to ZD. Flower power has zero citra hops in it. ZD is essentially the benchmark 100% citra beer.
    LucienDeRubempre and Casedogg43 like this.
  5. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

Sucks is great and Zombie Dust is great, but they are quite quite different. The malt backbone is about as different as can be. The citra hops in the Sucks is similar to the citra-only Zombie dust, but I'm pretty sure there's more hops than just citra in the Sucks.
  6. technogeek

technogeek Aspirant (45) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

You can find Zombie dust at Sals Beverage World in the Western Chicago suburbs if you are lucky :D Let me know if you are ever interested in a trade and we can work something out. I don't get over to Munster, IN enough.
  7. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Odd Side Citra is hard to get but Zombie Dust enthusiasts are strongly advised to trade for it or make the drive.
  8. While it's not the exact same flavor profile, I feel Short's Freedom of' 78 and Short's Hopstache (which will be bottled for the 1st time this year) could appeal to ZD fans.
  9. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

while I would agree with you that the malts they use are different, the hop aroma and taste to me is almost identical. of course we both don't have proof so we are just basing this off our own opinion :D
  10. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I have yet to find it. FFF beers have a lot of hype behind them, ZD lives up to it.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  11. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Do a side-by-side of FP & ZD and you will see they aren't even close.
    FP is the little brother to ZD, and big brother calls the shots! :)
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Remember this, accept no substitute!
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  13. I found 2 six packs in a random gas station in Cincinnati late December. It was quite excellent and I would be hard pressed to find a substitute. The way I see it, just waiting for the next fix will make it that much sweeter when it finally comes.
  14. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

zd reminds me alot of white rajah.