1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sucaba/Barleywine Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alysmith4, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I finally able to try Firestone Walker's Sucaba last night, and loved it. (After "enjoying" enough of it, I was calling it "chupacabra" by the end of the night!)

Anyway, before this, I thought I hated barleywines. My question is this: is Sucaba a good example of a barleywine, or is it just in a category of it's own? I know the best way to get an answer would be to try some other examples, but I don't want to start buying a bunch of barleywines only to find out I still don't like them.

What say you?
    1up likes this.
  2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

It's an English Barleywine. American Barleywines are hoppier. I also love Sucaba. ;)
  3. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

It is one of the best examples of an English Barleywine I have had also...simply outstanding.
  4. It definitely opened my eyes to a style I had previously dismissed. If there are others in its class I'd definitely like to know about it too.
    AnotherImperial and alysmith4 like this.
  5. It is also barrel aged which is not the case for most barleywines.
  6. Why were you calling it goatsucker? Just curious :)
    alysmith4 likes this.
  7. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

I am curious which barleywines you had that you didn't like...

I concur that Sucaba is a superior barleywine of the sweet (English) kind. I have it as my highest rated barleywine of either kind, just barely ahead of the highly acclaimed King Henry.
    SubpoenaDeuces and alysmith4 like this.
  8. King Henry, Leon, Many "Old Ales" (like Old Stock Ale, Curmudgeon, Hibernation). Anything labeled Old Ale or English Barleywine usually.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  9. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Sucaba, BBA Below Decks from Heavy Seas, Arctic Devil from Midnight Sun, BBA Devil's Milk from DuClaw, BBA Reserve Ale #3 from Cricket Hill...

Arctic Devil is like crack.
  10. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm a Barleywine noob as well, but Sucaba is barrel aged which imparts alot of non-traditional Barleywine flavors. Also, it fucking rocks.

Try SN Bigfoot. You can probably get it for relatively cheap so if you hate it you aren't out alot of $
    Premo88, CloudStrife and alysmith4 like this.
  11. So you're saying that "anything labeled Old Ale or English Barleywine" is in the same class as Sucaba? Disagree.
  12. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I second these statements.
  13. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Abacus/Sucaba are middle of the road BA English Barleywines. If you liked it then you should start exploring more of the style.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  14. Whoops, I replied to the wrong message. More the category Sucaba is in, not the class.
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  15. Isn't Bigfoot more of an American style? I didn't care for it as much as Sucaba.
    jgluck and MetalMountainMastiff like this.
  16. Greywulfken

I am getting some of that crack tomorrow.
    ao125 likes this.
  17. Yes, Bigfoot is an example of an American Barleywine.
  18. ao125

Like x1000.
  19. Greywulfken

Yes, Bigfoot is an American style barleywine.

Edit: @OddNotion: missed it by that much!
  20. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

If you enjoy Sucaba, you will also enjoy Mother of All Storms, BA Old Ruffian, BA Hi-Fi Rye, Arctic Devil, CW BBBW (with about a year on it), and I also hear King Henry is a good comparable - I have never tried a bottle of it yet though.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  21. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Try Pretty Things Our Finest Regards. For my money, it's the best non-BA English (edit: English-STYLE) barleywine I've had. And congratulations, you have just found the best beer style on earth.
  22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Definitely agree with Our Finest Regards from Pretty Things. Fantastic beer!

Central Waters Barrel Aged Barleywine is amazing too.
  23. Anything by JW Lees. An English company that a makes a fantastic English Barleywine. Either go with the Harvest Ale or any of the barrel aged stuff. The bottles might give you a bit of sticker shock, but it is worth it. The best barleywine, american or.english that ive had. The bros rate it a perfect 100 and i agree with that. Aside from that, Nogne 0 "100" and Djaevlebryg Old Mephisto are also really good.
    jaminjohnson, mdvatab and alysmith4 like this.
  24. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I need to amend my previous post-just remembered that Xyauyu series, JW Lees, and Thomas Hardy's all rank above Our Finest Regards for me. You should give all of these a try (except Xyauyu-it was a bit rich for my blood at $40/500ml until I had been in the barleywine game for a while).
    alysmith4 likes this.
  25. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (235) California Jul 12, 2012

I adore Abacus (opened 2 of the current bottles already) and have some stocked away. What others similar beers are there that are better? ???? I've had mother of all storms too.
    '
    thanks in advance
  26. Very good beer, but substantially different from other EBWs, even BA ones.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  27. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Sucaba is so good... For $15 it's very affordable for a once a month thing...
    alysmith4 likes this.
  28. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Sucuba is a great beer. That being said, it's incredibly barrel forward. Maybe try some non-barrel aged English Style Barleywines to get a better feel for the style. I certainly don't think "Sucuba" when I think of the style.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  29. ao125

I can only hope the new owners of the Thomas Hardy brand will make a BBA version.
  30. Be sure to try Cockeyed Cooper. It's a barrel-aged, malt-forward American-style barleywine, but to me it is very similar to Sucaba.
  31. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (545) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

Try and get someone in WI to trade you for some CW BBBW. I had that and Arctic Devil on back to back weekends and while both were truly mind blowing, I favored the CW version by a pinch.

Non-BA BW that I have really enjoyed this year are AleSmith Old Numbskull and Rogue Old Crustacean (it was a 2010 bottle though)
    Angst and alysmith4 like this.
  32. Sucaba is by far my favorite barley wine so far. If it's middle of the road, what do you recommend?
    FriarTuckInLuck and fujindemon74 like this.
  33. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

That beer was nowhere near as complex and tasty as Abacus. I was pretty dissapointed by that one.

If you want good English Barlewines try MoaS, King Henry, Naked Evil, or Bligh's.
    2beerdogs, chugalug06 and alysmith4 like this.
  34. You started out on top. Now you can quit drinking beer and move on to hard lemonade.
  35. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Weyerbacher Insanity is the closest thing I've had to Sucuba, and damn good too.
    Pick it up if you can find it, you'll love it if you liked Sucuba.
  36. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Highwater Old and in the Way is a great example. A portion of it is barrel aged, Deschutes style.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  37. Seriously.
    FriarTuckInLuck and mattsander like this.
  38. beerinNV

beerinNV Savant (265) Nevada Jan 3, 2012

Eladio Vuente?
    AnotherImperial likes this.
  39. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

While not an English Barleywine, I don't know if it gets any better for my money than the newest release of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine.

Also, once you've had King Henry, it's all downhill. But I'd love to be proved wrong!
  40. kodt

kodt Savant (475) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

You can't exactly go out and pick up a King Henry though...