1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Sucaba/Barleywine Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alysmith4, Mar 26, 2013.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

How has BB4D not been mentioned? Oi vey.

Likely the best, and my most favorite, brew of all timez.

mattsander and alysmith4 like this.
  2. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I recently tasted several barleywines side by side, and I liked them all, but thought the Sucaba was just a little too boozy for me. Flavor was good, don't get me wrong; I just prefer a little less of the boozy heat.

alysmith4 likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Sucaba is a fine take on an English Barleywine that has been aged in a whiskey barrel. There are others that have the same level of quality (King Henry, Bligh’s, MOAS, etc.) – but be fully aware that you’re unlikely to find (m)any that are better. You’re far more likely to find one that isn’t in the same league.
    Some that ARE as good need some additional time as well. For instance, IMO the one from Hoppin’ Frog was VERY hot when it first came out, but with some time it has become terrific.
    If anything, it's a style that can be very right or very wrong depending on a little time.

FriarTuckInLuck and alysmith4 like this.
  4. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Victory's Oak Horizontal - Barrel-Aged English style Barleywine...It's the second best of this style I've had...only to Sucaba of course. CW BA Barleywine is 3rd in my book.

TongoRad and alysmith4 like this.
  5. I liked it, too. I do remember some people hinting on the Mid-Atlantic board that there may have been some inconsistencies, or it wasn't that good when first released but got better, yada yada...but the one I got was really excellent. Not as great as Sucaba, but definitely worth trying.

alysmith4 likes this.
  6. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

English style, barrel aged... the irony is that I have this every year at the pub, I still to this day have never bothered with a bottle of it. :)

Recommendations.. simple.

An easy great to get one, that isn't barrel aged is Old Foghorn from Anchor Steam. This never fails.

Also consider, Dominion Millenium, Duck Rabbit as well.

for the barrel aged consider

Heavy Seas varieties,
    Weyerbacher Insanity (a personal fav)

Rip it up seriously... JW Lees out of the cask...

alysmith4 and TongoRad like this.
  7. I think I like bigfoot more than most IIPA's. Mmmmm malt and hops.

8. sucaba is one of the best somewhat accessible barleywines. top of class is king henry. second is probably leon. but they're tough to get your hands on.

alysmith4 likes this.
  9. I know! And I had Sucaba and Leon last night! I suppose it's all downhill from here :rolleyes:

loafinaround and kemoarps like this.
  10. Firestone Walker has it going on. They are a freak of brewing for those who want a great readily available fantastic Barrel Aged Barleywine...

FriarTuckInLuck and alysmith4 like this.
  11. Oh sure.... Bring Leon into it. Now I am really thirty!!!

alysmith4 likes this.
  12. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

FW has to be one of the only beers where their special releases are available everywhere easily except its home state. Getting a bottle of Parabola or something is annoying as hell here.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  13. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

Try Alesmith Old Numbskull

Angst and alysmith4 like this.
  14. another amazing bb barleywine is central waters. Their whole bour on barrel series is amazing as is but true;y unbeatable at the price they sell for

alysmith4 likes this.
  15. Darth I found CEC to be nothing like Sucaba IMHO it was as you said fairly malt forward for an American style but the hop finish just completely knocked it out of any comparable status to Sucaba. Also I found that the bourbon barrel character was very minimal in comparison being that it wasn't very up front. That along with the overall mouthfeel of CEC being thinner in my opinion makes for a difficult arguement that it is "very similar to Sucaba". I think CEC is good but not a fair comparison. Just my .02 cents

alysmith4 likes this.
  16. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Man, that must be good if it ages you to thirty! :)

Skunkdrool likes this.
  17. If you can find it near you, Anchor's Old Foghorn is a GREAT barleywine for the price. English style, lower abv (8%) makes it more drinkable than most BW out there.

ThisWangsChung and alysmith4 like this.
  18. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Oak Horizontal is an American, although the hops are mild enough so as to distinguish it rather favorably from mpst other American barleywines out there. It also happens to be really good fresh, more so even than Sucaba IMO. However, right now year-old Sucaba is head and shoulders above every other barleywine. So good.

alysmith4 likes this.
  19. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Big, sweet, bourbon barrel aged beers like Sucaba (barleywines, strong ales, old ales, whatever) are, for me, the pinnacle of beer (at least what I've had). Some of the best I've enjoyed:

Mother of All Storms
    King Henry
    Arctic Devil
    Sucaba
    Fremont Bourbon Barrel Abominable aka B-bomb

fujindemon74, sukwonee and alysmith4 like this.
  20. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Are you me?

ehammond1 likes this.
  21. Haha, why's that?

ehammond1 likes this.
  22. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Interesting, I always thought I had tried this beer but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to look into getting a bottle.

23. FTowne

Sucaba was a game changer for me as well. Hate barleywines, love Sucaba.

ehammond1 and alysmith4 like this.
  24. Still hate barleywines?

ehammond1 likes this.
  25. FTowne

Insanity was really good as well, but I haven't found any others that I'd drink again.

ehammond1 and alysmith4 like this.
  26. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Had my first Sucaba last night. Reminds me A LOT of BB4D. Absolutely delicious. Wow. I love BW/Old Ales already. This is probably the best alongside BB4D I've ever had.

fujindemon74 and alysmith4 like this.
  27. So you're enjoying barrel aged english-style barleywines.
    Insanity is good fresh, but really comes into being over 1-5 years imo.

I'd suggest Arcadia BA Cereal Killer and Hoppin' Frog BA Naked Evil when the opportunity presents itself.
    I'm guessing you will enjoy these as well.

alysmith4 likes this.
  28. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Mirror Mirror was my favorite and recently Deschutes informed me they are finally making it again. Currently barrel aging and will be ready for a 2014 release.

29. You need to try Hoppin Frog BA Naked Evil & CCB Warmer Winter Winter Warmer.
    Trust me.

30. FTowne

I guess I am ISO: of this now.

kemoarps and sliverX like this.

31. Sucaba is one of the best Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wines out there. IMO, the barrel aging changes Barley Wines more so than any other styles so much so that the profile of a BW is almost lost. I happen to be both a BW and BA BW lover but by no means would your high opinion of Sucaba mean you would like traditional BWs, like HoD Doggie Claws etc...

I would guarentee you would love some of these not too difficult to find brews: Arctic Devil, Central Waters BBBW, BA Numbskull, and BA Naked Evil. I'm guessing you are into Old Ales and Scotch ales as well like Backwoods Bastard, BA Big Sounds, etc... Similiar taste because the bourbon sweetness shines through and changes the liquid.

32. Yes, I got some SN Bigfoot, and didn't care for it. I was able to try the BA version at a bottle share though, and really enjoyed it!

Ps. FT: SN Bigfoot ;)

OneBeertoRTA likes this.

33. Irony is that many of us don't even consider the hoppy bigfoot a BW, it's more like a DIPA. You will really dislike traditional american Barley Wines like Doggie Claws. More than happy to send you a bottle for tasting:)

alysmith4 likes this.
  34. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Will you saunter down to the ATM machine and input your PIN number? :)

Well, that seems highly unnecessary.

kemoarps likes this.
  35. FTowne

:oops:

kemoarps and sliverX like this.
  36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Is Doggie Claws really hoppy?

37. nope.

38. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It's one I'd like to try, but the Hair of the Dog stuff is hard to trade for.

39. No, it's a real BW. If you like Doggie Claws you are no longer beginner, straight expert mode. The guys that like Kunnenn 4D, and the other so called boozy stuff not covered my bourbon goodness.

Doggie's and the regular HoD stuff trades for locals.

alysmith4 likes this.
  40. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

this thread amuses me because I just gave a good friend (who's a real beer lover) a bottle of sucuba today... and he seemed unusually gunshy. He muttered something about not liking something similar that he tried recently... (couldn't get if it was also from firestone, or another barrel aged barleywine)

I'm now awaiting his sucuba review... everyone's palate is unique, but I'd be stunned if he didn't love it.