1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sucaba/Parabola/DDBA pricing

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by fox227, Mar 4, 2013.

1. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Hello. I've been craft beering for about three years, and I've been aware of these 'Reserve' beers from Firestone since early on. However, DDBA was pretty much the only beer I'd come across on a regular basis. In in North County San Diego, and I frequent several BevMos, Holiday Wine Cellar, Pizza Port Bottle Shop, Texas Wine and Spirits, and I stop at random ones all the time. One thing that has irked me this year is that even though I finally got Sucaba, I find instantly that I'm overpaying at 19.99. Then I decided today to buy a DDBA that was sitting around at a store in Vista (forgot the name) and 19.99 again! I remember that one being cheaper, but sold out, elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that I want to keep on buying these beers in the future, but I don't want to be overpaying. Any suggested stores I'm missing?
  2. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

I think I paid $15.99 (+/- $1) for sucaba at Total Wine, but they're usually on the low end of the spectrum for everything. A week earlier I saw it at Holiday Wine Cellar for $19.99, I believe. I typically don't mine paying a few bucks more when I see something to ensure that I get it, but Firestone beers are usually available at most SoCal bottleshops.
  3. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I don't know about that. Sucaba lasted three days at HWC, and I have never seen Parabola in the last three years that I have looked around.
  4. Usually I see all three at ~$15. Soon as its a few months past their release they jump up a couple of bucks. Last time I saw a 2012 parabola it was marked up to $25. Oddly it seems like DDBA doesn't go up, saw a 2012 DDBA the other day for $15 still.
  5. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

Many just last a couple days and some bottleshops don't even put them out. You have to know when the release is and ask for it. A couple of my local bevmo's had DDBA and anniversary (possibly sucaba and parabola, but never checked). One had them out, but the other you had to ask for it. Same for Total Wine, they had it in a back cooler.
  6. DDBA doesn't seem to be in the same demand as Parabola and Abacus. But they all fall into the ~$15 range. Hell, Plaza Market had DDBA for sale at $10 each a week or so ago.
  7. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

At the brewery the cost is usually 16 or 17. A lot of places can sell it for less, but Firestone has an MSRP of 16 or 17 so they sell it at those prices. I can only imagine what Velvet Merkin is going to go for outside of firestone.
    1424IpA likes this.
  8. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Usually around $11.99 or $12.99 at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa. That's the best I've ever seen it.
  9. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I, too, live in North County San Diego, and, like you, always have difficulty finding Parabola and Sucaba. Most stores seem to get 1 case, if any at all, and it sells out very quickly. Last year, I happily bought a case of Parabola online from www.brewforia.com, an Idaho storefront.
  10. Whole Foods, Via De La Valle, might be a good place to try in the future.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  11. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Will do. Thank you very much!
  12. Many of their stores are good at what I call the "slow release". It is annoying for hoarders, but if you are there shopping anyway, it is nice for picking up a bottle or two.
  13. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Edit: nevermind.
  14. Total Wine in Northridge - $14.99 with no bottle limits this time.
  15. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (420) California Jan 9, 2013

I found a bunch of Sucaba on the shelf today @ Windmill Farms in Del Cerro. Was only 13.99.
  16. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

What is weird is that this vintage of Sucaba is actually cheaper in a number of places than I saw in previous years. Maybe this is Total Wine and BevMo throwing down on the price war, but I was pleased.
  17. I'm just grateful it's going to be released. Now, if FW can be convinced shove some Helldorado down a few bottles...
  18. Haha i wonder who cleaned out those 2012 parabolas next to them