1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sucellus (North Sound Imperial Porter) - Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by jpbebeau, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Now that I've filled up my growler a second time, just want to recommend you stop by Last Drop and have a glass while you can. Great stuff: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23904/75249

[​IMG][​IMG]

ETA: Really have liked a few things from North Sound...like DNA Oat Red Rye.
  2. jag21

jag21 Savant (265) Washington Apr 21, 2010

Had this when it was on tap at Uber last week - though it was just billed "North Sound Bourbon-Barrel Imperial Porter". Delicious.
  3. jpbebeau

Yeah, just called "Imperial Porter" at Last Drop. Finding the correct name for a beer on tap (especially at a restaurant) is way more difficult than it should be.
    beertunes likes this.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

This is a pet peeve of mine. Especially if a brewery does a lot of one-offs, I don't think it's too much to ask for the bar to use the name the brewery gave the beer. Add in the fact that a lot of breweries don't update their websites for every brew, and you can go nuts trying to figure out which beer you actually had.
    draheim likes this.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Even more true of restaurants.
  6. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Is it bourbon-barrel aged? The description from the brewery doesn't say it is...
  7. jag21

jag21 Savant (265) Washington Apr 21, 2010

Good question - I only know that the imperial porter at Uber was apparently bourbon barrel aged. I didn't get strong bourbon flavors, but the beer had nice wood and vanilla notes. It was also listed at 10% or just above (if I remember correctly), not 9.5% like on the Succelus profile page and the brewery site. Succelus might have been the base of the beer that was at Uber. To further confuse matters, the only review on BA of Succelus mentions bourbon flavors.
  8. But then if breweries and fans start keeping track, next thing you know someone will want labels and bottles, and then we get a bunch of hyped up "it" beers.
    distantmantra, ccrida and beertunes like this.
  9. ccrida

ccrida Advocate (535) Oregon May 26, 2006

forget the interwebs, sip, savor and enjoy
    distantmantra likes this.
  10. jpbebeau

I emailed North Sound to find out the scoop. They're quickly becoming one of my favorite local breweries; I also asked for more info on a beer I had during Seattle Beer Week. Their 101 IIPA at Washington Brewers Fest was excellent as well. Here's what Kurt at North Sound had to say:

11. I know it was fantastic. My review came from last year's Phinney Ridge event.
  12. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

You were at the Phinney Ridge event! So was I. I had so much fun at that one I'm eagerly waiting for it again this year.
    Also, I share the love for North Sound. One of my favorites.
  13. derkruk

derkruk Aficionado (130) Washington Oct 22, 2004

14. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Sound is in Poulsbo and North Sound is in Mount Vernon and yup, the Summer one is the one I had in mind.
    Thanks for the link. Makes it easy to pencil in the one for this year