1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sucks and Bourbon County Stout have officially ruined beer for my friend.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Started my BMC buddy off with a fine Lagunitas, and shortly thereafter a BCBS. He couldn't stop raving about how these were the perfect beers, although quite different and that they are all he wants to drink. I was even nice enough to crack open a Coffee BCBS later on, all after he was mocking me about drinking craft beer before we got started.

Those Bud tallboys are starting to lose their luster...

2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I foresee him having a lot less money in his bank account in the near future.

xnicknj, JrGtr, dynajack1 and 42 others like this.
  3. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

My craft beer experience was started with Dark Lord and my bank account has suffered ever since!

71gto, luwak, Rau71 and 2 others like this.
  4. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Hope he is a single rich guy, im fixin to spend 4-600 bucks in the upcoming weeks on/for beer. Citra and younger to be more specific.

Rau71, dsal89 and grandmachine like this.
  5. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Damn, did you guys start with the Weatherby 460 when taking up shooting too? What happened to the classic gradual break in period with say... Newcastle or?

kojevergas likes this.
  6. I did the same on my brother, sister, and my sister's bf.
    They are hooked.

7. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Gumballhead into Zombie Dust into Hopslam into Expedition stout into Dork Lord into BCBS into BADL into Cantillon into Pilsner. The chain of addiction.

Larrygto, kojevergas, NSK79 and 3 others like this.
  8. Call me selfish, but I don't even bother giving any of my BMC friends anything that I would regret not having later. Would rather save the BCBS and Sucks for myself. BMC friends get home brew.

9. Yup drains bank accounts. I'm going to central waters release party of their 1515 this Saturday and plan on buying all I can.

joedevivre likes this.
  10. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sucks and BCBS have officially ruined beer BMC for my friend.

Fixed that for you.

dynajack1, DaKur, MichPaul and 6 others like this.
  11. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Yeah BCBS was the beer that finally broke through the BMC barrier of my friends. Since then they have been getting their own craft beers on occasion. I guess throwing them in the deep end instead of easing them in might have saved me some of the good beers they wasted in the beginning.

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I told my friend Paul some years ago when he tried a Rabid Duck that there is no going back. And there isn't.

hardy008 likes this.
  13. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Aficionado (200) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

It's funny to me (and happening to me now) how a lot of BA's go from small to big, malty to hoppy, light to dark, tart to sour, then land back in a nice sessionable beer over time. I went a little bit different, going stout before big IPA, but am just now getting over my BA-stout addiction and into strong IPA's, sours, and actually just jumping into nice easy lagers/pilsners. I guess it takes a lot of different tasting to really appreciate the subtle flavor and crispness of a nice pils. Cheers!

CityofBals likes this.
  14. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (280) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Before Christmas an old friend told me he was driving back from Denver. I gave him a list. One Saturday morning he showed up with some Avey small bottles, Woodcut #6, Velvet Merlin & Ten Fidy. He'd tried and enjoyed the TenFidy.
    We caught up over a Bramble Rye from my cellar. Before the day was over much Narwhal, some FBS, one BCCBS, some of the Ten Fidy and a Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout were consumed at his brother's house.
    As a token of my appreciation I gave him a 4pk of 2011 BCBS. He found that a bit "strong" and shared it with a co-worker who was thrilled.

15. MisterGrizz

MisterGrizz Savant (280) Texas Jan 8, 2011

Lol Dork Lord - I want one.

YogiBeer and CityofBals like this.
  16. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Stop turning your friends onto good craft beer. There is barley enough for us now.

j47paco and Andygirl like this.
  17. I still remember the first wave of great American beers back in the day with Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, Sam Adams, etc. The real game changer, the one that "ruined" me--or saved me depending on your perspective--was Hopslam. Fitting as its that time of the year again. Cheers.

Zaphog likes this.
  18. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I wish my friend would crack open a BCBCS for me :/

phildo7pt9 and TheBrewViking like this.
  19. moju

moju Aficionado (150) Illinois Jan 18, 2011

That's good, but there's barely enough hops...

kojevergas and cavedave like this.
  20. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

None of my friends are into craft...but my girl is...I eased her in as a Blue Moon drinker with a Dogfish Head Namaste...which she LOOOVED...and now she's all about imperial stouts...I've created a monster.

Rob-P likes this.
  21. Once PtE finally made it into bottles, my wallet sinse hasn't quite been the same.

Rau71 likes this.
  22. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

Let my girlfriend have a taste of Black Note on Saturday, she calls me today and tells me she couldn't get that craving off her palate so she stops and buys three different stouts at the store on her way home, bells double cream, Boris the crusher and Arcadia BA IS. I love creating addictions. Same thing happens anytime I get a buddy to try ZD.

23. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (445) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

I'll be there as well! Can't wait to get my hands on Fifteen!

24. Honestly, that's embarrassing.

25. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I'm taking my brother-in-law who is strictly a Coors Light drinker to the Younger release in two weeks. I'll report back how it goes :)
    edit: Not to mention SFBW after that.

26. I used to give my wife DIPAs just to see the look on her face.. Then today she text me and said she was going to the store because we were out of FBS. I find this pretty hot.. Except I don't know what beer of mine she will be drinking when I get home anymore.

jdmandel, lonewolfcry and NWer like this.
  27. See you fellas there! I'll also be hitting O'so and red eye on Saturday.

28. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

I know a lot of folks start out by diving in headfirst, but I hope for his sake - and the sake of his area retailers - you let him know that those are special releases, and there are plenty of exciting beers he can pick up off the shelf.

29. I blame this site for my beer hoarding/fiending. But its really turned something that i merely dabbled in to something im seriously passionate about and want to know as much as possible about.

GFG and luwak like this.
  30. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

You know, you all sound like pushers. For real.

31. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

32. Go ask Alice...

Bad_Trader, grandmachine and luwak like this.
  33. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

most people don't drink Sucks and BCBS for the first time and start raving they are perfect beer. He is a natural

luwak and Zaphog like this.
  34. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

this is an easy fix: gueuze
    get him three
    then you can keep all the stouts and DIPAS....

35. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

Good luck with that. If he doesn't end up liking PtY, you must give up on him immediately :)