1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sucks and DayTime: is it the yeast or hop profile I'm tasting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raffels, Feb 3, 2013.

1. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

Ok, shame me if you will, but there is a predominate taste (for lack of a better word) that runs thru both of these beers. The best way I can describe it would be like cat wizz smell like taste that over powers any of the other flavors. I've also noticed the same thing with fresh 60 Minute. Any thoughts on what it is I'm picking up on?
  2. Hop profile for sure, although I get zero cat piss in either of those beers. Simcoes can somtimes give you that taste you are describing.
  3. cat pee >/= horse blanket
    raynmoon likes this.
  4. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Funny in that I didn't like Daytime but love Sucks. shrug
  5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Sounds like the hops to me.
  6. Ok. I've had all those beers and the only common taste to me is: AWESOMENESS.

And, by the way, how would you know what the smell of cat whizz tastes like?
    fmccormi likes this.
  7. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

A couple BAs in the mountain region have stated that Lagunitas' beers have a cat pee and/or onion/garlic characteristics to them. I don't really get the cat pee, but some simcoe hops allow me to perceive some onion/garlic. Maybe I just don't know what cat pee tastes like--do they eat onions? ;)
    raffels likes this.
  8. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Think you are skunking your beer before you drink it man. Or possibly you don't like the taste of hops.
    creal92 likes this.
  9. raffels

Ok, I should have known better than to use the "cat pee" tag. That was the best way I could describe it. (I tried).

The Simcoe onion/garlic characteristics makes sense.
  10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

The only IPA I ever got garlic/onion was Deviant Dales. But I thought that it was something other than simcoe doing that.
  11. bump8628

bump8628 Savant (485) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

B
    The onion/garlic character is very characteristic of Summit hops. I've heard the cat piss descriptor used for Simcoe many times.
  12. Never had Devil Dancer?
  13. I might get zero cat pee out of a beer, but my wife can by just smelling the beer I am drinking. We all have different aroma receptors. Had a Sucks tonight, and it was piney to me, a little cat piss and other stuff going on. My wife would not let it touch her lips, all she said was "cat piss".

The onoin/garlic things is from hops like Summit, that have been kept on the bine for while to increase the AA.
    raffels and checktherhyme like this.
  14. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Negative. What I haven't had could fill a warehouse several times over. ;)
  15. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Cheesing, obviously.
    jmccraney, ESeab and Profchaos20 like this.
  16. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

For me, Double Jack was the first beer that I ever encountered that gave me a cat piss quality. Prior to that, whenever I heard people talking about cat piss I always said to myself "this is absurd, whoever says they get cat piss out of beer is either making shit up or reaaaaaally subject to the power of suggestion" (as if some people aren't) and then I had a glass of Double Jack one day. Took a whiff and thought, "Huh. Cat piss. I'll be damned."
    raffels, smitherz22 and HokiesandBeer like this.
  17. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Aficionado (240) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

Devil Dancer is like being around that guy with the worst BO. First ever drain poor for me. I guess that's similar to onion/garlic.
  18. Had Sucks for the first time tonight and the first thing I smelled out of it was cat piss. I own a cat(or rather the cat owns me) so I'm quite familiar with the smell. Highly disappointing. It should also be noted that I love IPAs and DIPAs and this is the first time I came across cat piss in a beer.
    raffels likes this.
  19. Some beers smell like cat piss to me, too - but in a good way... Knee Deep simtra is the best example I can think of.
  20. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

Daytime was good, but I'm not paying 10$ again for a beer that feels like it should be better. I'll just buy Sumpin for the full body.
    raffels likes this.
  21. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

SO there seems to be a consensus that Simcoe hops can cause a "cat piss" type smell/taste? I've never gotten anything close to something resembling that in any IPA. Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe DIPA is one of my favorite IPA's, and I certainly don't get any "cat piss" or "onion" flavors/smells from that either.
  22. All i can think of is the cop in Dumb and Dumber...
  23. That would be the Simcoe. Citra also has that scent, but not quite as prominent
  24. Isn't Simcoe the same hop that causes onion and garlic aromas and flavors?
  25. Summit is known for that, but other hops can also have that compound.
  26. raffels

Nugget and Chinook maybe? There's another thread running about the hop bill for Sucks, both of those (along with Summit and Simcoe) are used.