1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Suggestions for a new guy

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JFL, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JFL

JFL Member

So, basically, I'm just getting into beer. I have loads of time to learn more, and being that I am not that long past my 19th, need some help to find some good beers to try

I'm wondering if anyone can give some suggestions for beers to try that would be available in BC. So far, I really enjoyed the Clova Ale IPA on tap at Big Ridge Brewpub, Driftwood Ale, Tree's Vertical Winter (And somewhat their Thirsty Beaver Amber, although that was more of an average to me), really like GIB's Lions Winter Ale. I found the Howe Sound Devils Elbow IPA a little too hoppy, but that may have changed as that was a couple months ago and I've started to quite like IPAs lately, and that was my first one that I had tried. There's a bunch of others that are quite average to me, most GIB brews, Keiths, OK springs pale ale and winter ale for example. I can't stand beers like Corona, Molson, Heineken and similar beers.

Any suggestions that can be given are much appreciated. Currently on the list of wanting to try are Red Racer Pale Ale, and eventually the IPA, but I'd like to build up to that one so that I can get proper enjoyment out of it, and preferably from the source, as well as wanting to try a couple others from Driftwood, since the pale ale was so good. I only have three of four friends who drink anything but garbage brews, and only two very knowledgeable on the subject (Fair enough, we're all 19-22 and most of my friends just want the cheapest, easiest alcohol delivery method) but unfortunately, they can't really teach me anything, since I am one of the younger guys
  2. Just jump right in and start trying different stuff. Anything by Driftwood, red racer IPA, Lighthouse bombers (bomber=650ml bottles) and Switchback IPA, lots of Belgians around. That should be a great start. There's really no need to work your way up to whatever. Some styles you'll like, some you won't. Your taste may change as you try more as well.

Central City liquor store (beside the brew pub) is one of the better stores in the lower mainland and probably the closest to you. Have fun!
    JFL and JonnyBeers like this.
  3. I'd suggest a night out at Alibi Room with some fellow BAs ;) Oh maybe tomorrow? Ok! :) Actually tomorrow will be somewhat nuts... But if you just want to try some diff beers, Alibi or St Augustines are great because they have loads of taps and you can get a taster/paddle of anything. Beats paying for a 6-pack if you dont know if you'll like it.

Personally I found my tastes have changed an EXTREME amount in the last 10yrs of drinking beer, but some stuff you just won't like now, and then in 5yrs you'll wonder what you were thinking.
  4. hey jonny any casks happening at alibi on wednesday?
  5. Aren't there always a couple casks going at the Alibi? Especially this week!
    JonnyBeers likes this.
  6. JFL

JFL Member

So, I gotta say that was a good call on just going straight for the RR IPA, just happened to be going up to that part of town on a day that they were canning a fresh batch, and it has been just fantastic

Driftwood's been treating me real well, next up to try to find is their IPA I think, still trying to find a lighthouse offering (just no luck, I guess)

St Augustine's looks fantastic, wow. Maybe there's hope for me in getting a couple of my Corona drinking friends onto real beer yet ;)

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to try to check these places and breweries out!
    Rutager likes this.
  7. St Augustine's is good for non beer nerds as at least they play hockey games. Alibi has no TVs (which is nice as well)
    Rutager likes this.
  8. That really is one of the things that makes Alibi great.