1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Suggestions for beer club

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by HookemHops13, Apr 2, 2013.

1. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

I'm interested in joining some kind of monthly beer club that gets some stuff from all over the US (ships to Houston) and potentially gets some rare and limited releases.

Anyone have any good suggestions/bad experiences to share to help me with my search?

Are these clubs normally worth it or do most people just get their own stuff and then attempt to make trades to get other regional stuff?

2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

3. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

The best rare beer club would be posting FT: Locals ISO: Locals and then coming to Gingerman at 1:00 Second Sunday of every month. That is how it all started for me :)

champ103 and Clonies720 like this.
  4. Crack2000

Crack2000 Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 10, 2010

Been doing this for 6 months now...love it. Went in with two friends to bring the cost down

5. HookemHops13

For The Rare Beer Club do you get the 2,4, or 6 bottle? The 2 bottle shipping seems to make the cost per bottle pretty steep....

6. HookemHops13

What goes on at gingerman?

7. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

The Houston BA Bottle Share

8. HookemHops13

Ah I see. Obviously a bit new... May have to go one time, I just don't feel like I have anything to share right now.

9. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Bring food then. :)

10. Crack2000

Crack2000 Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 10, 2010

The 3 of us do the 6 bottles per month to get the most bang for our buck

11. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I have this as a present. Most of the beers have been shit or so-so. Only a very small amount have been good or something I'm interested in drinking. I'd hardly call any of them "rare" or even limited really. I think the "rarest/limited" beer I've gotten so far was the 2009 Boon Mariage Parfait. Really enjoyed the To Ol Sans Frontiere beer the most.

Luckily you can hold off both or just 1 bottle I believe if you don't like what they have to offer. I will be using this option quite gratuitously to stretch out the remaining 2 months I have until I get something that is ACTUALLY rare or limited.

TL;DR You'd be better off trading for these beers in my opinion.

Edit: I feel as though I may have been a bit harsh and too negative. These guys are very prompt. Haven't had a problem with a single shipment. They've all been on time or early. Each beer comes with a nice informational sheet. And their customer service is easy to deal with.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It may have sounded like a joke but really, instead of signing up for a beer club where you'll likely be shipping meh beer, join a local tasting/bottle share club or start one if there isn't already one. Then focus the money you would have spent on the club on ordering good stuff when you can online, or working on trading....you'll have way more fun.

13. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Rare Beer Club is probably the best... that said, it's expensive per bottle if you don't get the 6-bottle option. I have the 4-bottle version and I don't accept shipment unless it's something spectacular I know would be difficult to trade for. The nice thing with them is they send you an email each month with info on the beers (very detailed info) and from there you can change the order (add bottles or switch out one of the selections for a past one) or completely differ the shipment and get charged nothing.

My cousin also has their 12oz non-Rare club and he's very happy with it.

14. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I'm in the same boat. I have never been myself, I just know about it. I always feel I have nothing special to bring, but as bentwookie has already said I could bring food.

15. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Join the Bruery Reserve society in December. Take a bath in Chocolate Rain next May.

Azzy, imagery and DonD like this.
  16. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

This. been a member for two years.

You get an email ahead of time each month and if they have meh beer, you can just skip.

17. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

How does this work? At the bottom of this page it says, "Please note that we will not be able to ship outside of California." http://www.thebruery.com/reservesociety/

18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You need a trustee to pick up the bottles and mail them to you.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Or have them mailed to someone in CA, who will then mail them to you. Saves them from having to pick them up if they're not that close.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  20. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I haven't been to the GM tasting, but my first and only tasting was Black Sunday and it was Awesome. Only reason I haven't attended more is I'm trying to diet, and my drive is a bit tough after drinking. I would definitely recommend attending the local tasting or trade you have a higher probability of trying more "rare" beers. And as others have stated just bring something you haven't tried and want to share.

21. BruceBruce

There were a few times I literally had nothing to bring, buy a food plate or bring something, someday you will have something that I will really want to try no worries...

22. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (340) Texas Oct 2, 2007

These kind of post always make me think next month your beer of the month club will no longer be shipping to Texas.

23. BruceBruce

Me too, go to fit with me so someone makes me actually go and we can both drink a beer while running on the treadmill :)

24. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

If you guys can make it, just come out. Don't feel bad about not having anything "special." Bring something you enjoy, and want to share. Or food. From previous posts I know Texas_Speed works offshore, and I know how that screws up your schedule. I did that for close to 6 years, and know it sucks (I might be doing it again grr:mad:) . Though every once in a while the timing clicks. Hope you guys can make it one of these months.

Texas_Speed likes this.
  25. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

And by Trustee he means a friend or relative in California, not a random "trustee" on the forums. I have seen several posts of "trustees" keeping all the beer and disappearing. I wish I had someone, White Chocolate is some delicious shit.