1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Suggestions for Dublin trip

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Bruin03, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Bruin03

Bruin03 Disciple (60) California May 31, 2011

I'm in Dublin until Thursday morning, what're the must drink/must see beers and bars? I have a bit of space to bring back bottles to the US, anything I should pick up? So far i've read about porterhouse, and plan on doing the touristy tours of the jamesons old distillery and the guiness brewery. Big porter/stout lover. Thanks!

2. First off don't get too excited/expectant!

There are numerous small towns in England, 10% the size of Dublin that are way better for interesting beer options, Eire in general is not a great beer destination!

The Porterhouse and Messrs Maguire (Burgh Quay) are the two city centre bars that I have frequented in recent years, both brew pubs

There are a couple of new bars that have opened since my last visit (early '10), Against the Grain being one and there's another the name escapes me

Overall - not a lot going on but I'm sure a few of the Dublin inhabitants will fill you in with a few more ideas. You may perceive Ireland as a nation of stout/porter but 95%+ of it is bland guinness, now available in even colder/blander versions!!!

3. philgill

philgill Zealot (85) Ireland Feb 15, 2012

Hey Bruin03,

I am living in dublin and the choice available has improved considerably in the last couple of years when it comes to bars and beers and bars that serve great beer.

You will find a full list of bars that serve craft beer at the this website which is the main contact point for alot of Irish homebrewers http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=4&Itemid=80
    Personally I would recommend visiting the following

L Mulligan Grocer has great food, plenty of international craft in bottle, draft and cask, it is located in the area known as stoneybatter, from the city centre it would cost 10er in a taxi to get there or the local tram system drops you a 10 min walk from the pub.

Against the Grain, The Black Sheep are sister pubs on either side of the liffey, a less formal offering than L.Mulligan Grocer I find them a more relaxing place to have a pint.

Farringtons in Temple bar is an expensive alternative but they have a decent menu - had a pint of Sunburnt from 8 Degrees there last friday, delicious beer!

Bull and Castle is a german style beer hall in ChristChurch area which is within easy access of templebar.

Bowes on Fleet street have a few irish craft beers and on a sunday night they host good irish tradional music.

O'Neills on suffock street have a host of cask and crafts on tap, its centrally located and if the weather is nice have a rooftop beer garden.

Messrs have a few interesting beers on tap but you need to ask the bar staff for them, they tend to be hidden away in the ground floor like a nasty family secret, makes no sense as its all good. Again this is in the dead centre of the city.

There are also some Guinness pubs which are worth a visit, they resist change like its a plague so don't expect anything other than a decent pint of the black stuff.

Mulligans on Poolbeg street - not to be confused with the one in stoneybatter is worth a look. Lovely bar

Long Hall on Georges St - Good old mans guinness pub

Gravediggers in Glasnevin, located on the wall of the countries largest cemetary there is a hatch where the guys working in the graveyard used to pick up a pint of porter at lunch hence the name. Fantastically atmospheric pub that looks as though it hasn't been touched in 200 odd years, worth the trip out of town especially if the weather is nice.

O'Donoghues on Merrion Row, Keoghs St Annes St and Toners on Baggot St
    All shining examples of old style Irish pubs which tragically are behind the curve with the craft beer movement but nonetheless are worthwhile dropping your head in the door for a quick stout.

Hidden Gem - If you decide to do the Kilmainham Jail tour, and you really really should do the Kilmainham Jail tour look out for the Royal Oak that is nearby on Kilmainham Lane. Tiny pub with a nice pint of Guinness.

4. philgill

Regarding Beers to bring back - The Porterhouse Celebration Stout is a fantastic beer, 11% aged in Kilbeggan Whiskey Casks. Howling Gale Ale from 8degrees is a nice Pale Ale from the Cork region.

5. Dublin sounds like it has come on quite a bit in recent years - I knew a few venues had cropped up but not as many as philgill has listed above!

Most of my Dublin drinking forays were around 2000-2003 when it really was just the Porterhouse and Messrs!

6. philgill

The group that are behind the Galway Bay Brewery and Pubs such as the Oslo (in Galway), Against the Grain and Black Sheep (both dublin) which are all pubs dedicated to craft beer have opened up their third venture in Dublin this week. Its located between the citys major bus station and one of the largest train stations. The local tram service has a stop outside and it also serves as a drop off/pick up point for Dublins Airport Bus all of which make it a super convenient for people to drop in for a pint of craft. The bar just opened on wednesday so I haven't had the chance to visit it yet but the word coming from those who have is that it is not a departure from the formula that has worked well in their other bars which on one level is disappointing as the selection of beer is virtually the same in all of their pubs but on the other hand it is another pub in Dublin that is promoting craft brewing and craft beers in a location that will surely lead to more and more converts to the cause. Anyways its worthwhile calling in i'm sure when you step off the bus from the Airport, the name of the bar is The Brew Dock

7. Graeme24

Graeme24 Savant (270) Ireland Dec 16, 2008

I was there on the opening night philgill. Pretty impressed overall but your point regarding the beer selection being the same in all their pubs is right. It would be nice to see a bit of diversity in their selection. I suppose though in the grand scheme of things it's a great addition. A great way of following up the success of their bars would to be pro active about getting some specials in now and then. I believe The Black Sheep has up to four cask hand pumps which is pretty impressive.

8. philgill

I called in Friday night for a pint. They had an O'Haras smoked ale on Draft which is not in the other two bars AFAIK. It is a nice addition, I like the layout and seems more of a session friendly bar than the Black Sheep. That said I do love the fact that The Black Sheep has more variety on Cask.

9. spdyfire83

spdyfire83 Savant (320) Ireland Oct 17, 2009

Best pint of Guinness in Dublin IMO! Well worth a visit.

10. Keyes88

Keyes88 Savant (300) New Jersey Jul 19, 2011

Refreshing this one as I'm going to Ireland at the end of March. Any updates on new places, brew pubs or breweries that are a must see?

This is such a great thread I figured it would be better to add to this then start a new one.