1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Sunk King releases reserve cans of The Velvet Fog and Bourbon Barrel Johan the Barleywine

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Todd, Jan 17, 2013.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (930) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's only really been available a few times (Kahns Battle of Belgium, a Flatwater event, I think a festival or two) so I'm very excited for them to can it.

CWBlues likes this.
  2. What I think we will see is all the cans will be reserved right away then come in a couple weeks Sun King will announce there are extra cans for sale that nobody picked up. People will be quick to reserve them then decide the price is too high. Now on the other hand Velvet Fog is going to go fast. 17.50 for two is not that bad of a price to me.

I think we are starting to see some backlash on the prices of Sun Kings special releases. What is Deuce like $18 most places. I still see it around town. Way overpriced for a what it is. Wee Muckle is the same way, I still see that around and that was out a while ago.

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aficionado (135) Ohio May 30, 2008

Does anyone know if the Velvet Fog that is being released is Bourbon Barrel Aged? In reading through some previous posts/reviews it sounds like it is barrel aged but in reading the information that Sun King published it doesn't say anything about it being barrel aged and their website does not reference barrel aging for Velvet Fog.

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Afaik, Velvet Fog is a quad aged in Bourbon barrels with cherries. I have no source for that other than the 3 or 4 times I had it and recollect someone telling me such (pretty sure it was aasher at Kahn's, or someone there anyway). It definitely had a BBA nose and taste, without a doubt.

5. There are very different descriptions in the reviews on here and the other site. The reviews here suggest barrel aging. On the other site, it seems that only one review notes wood.

6. MordorMongo

The growler(s) at Kahn's for battle of Belgium definitely had wood/bourbon influence, without question. Now maybe THAT batch was BA and others aren't or something....but that would seem odd....again though we are talkin about Sun King so anything is possible! ;)

7. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Dumb price. And I believe the BA version of velvet fog is pappy fog.

8. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (455) New York Jan 30, 2011

This "hobby" has officially become silly and too expensive. Have at it everyone!

9. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Oh right! those...thanks for the picture/reminder. Also, thanks for the reminder of another underwhelming Sun King beer.

10. And they are going to put sours in these bottles later in the year? I know that Oliver Winery is suing Ball Corp. right now because of interaction of their aluminum bottles with cider leading to a strong metallic flavor. I can only imagine what sours in aluminum bottles will taste like.

11. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

So there is a very limited quantity of barrel aged Johan, 250 cans. Last time I checked Indianapolis has a lot of people, almost a million. And people here are bitching and moaning about the price of Johan? Look, if that price is too high for you, that's fine. There is going to be a lot of demand for this beer, so much so that it outpaces supply probably. I could very well be wrong.

I know a lot of people are not going to care for this, but breweries should never be in the business of placating people when it comes to prices. If you think this price is too high, don't buy it and don't complain about it. I'm never going to understand the general feeling here about the price of beer being so high that a brewery deserves scorn for it. Does everyone here complaining about the price being too high complain that the price of gas is too high? TVs? Music?

RunningIPA likes this.
  12. MordorMongo

Then they brought it mis-labelled as Velvet Fog to Kahn's, and apparently to FW Invitational as I trust ehammond's taste buds enough to notice bourbon flavors or not...which again given Sun King is entirely possible. Regardless, even at the price, I will snag some in hopes it IS the same beer as that beer was delicious.

aasher, Shagtastic and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  13. I complain about those prices as well, so color me "entitled to bitch" by your standard. Thanks!

14. BuckeyeDave

I did e-mail Sun King today asking if this release of Velvet Fog is barrel aged. If/when I get a response I will post it here.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  15. gpawned

No doubt that 250 cans will sell out easily. The brewery has the right to charge what they want. Anyone who wants to complain about the price is just as entitled to do so as you are to complain about them complaining.

I personally wasn't complaining about the price of this can, so you weren't referring to me I'm sure but I do complain about gasoline prices, my tv bill and no longer purchase music in stores...so that last point you tried to make probably isn't going to do what you wanted it to.

I am grateful to Sun King for being the inspiration for this entertaining thread.

mpwdoyle and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  16. I get what you're saying and I am in the camp that prefers higher prices for great limited beer so it stays around long enough for me to get some. Heck, I ended up with multiple bottles of Murda'd Out Stout at $50. My issue with Sun King charging this much is that their beer, in my opinion, is generally not that good. I really don't think the Johan is going to sell as well as people think, but like you, I could be wrong. Most likely I'm wrong considering the state of beer these days.

mpwdoyle and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  17. gpawned

You really liked Murda'd enough to buy more than one bottle at that price for your own consumption (ie. not as trade bait or to hook up trading partners?)

18. I never said I wasn't going to trade any. I already traded one for a SNR10.

My point is that I am willing to spend/gamble $50 on a bottle from FFF that has a portion of BA DL because of the pedigree.

19. gpawned

I know you didn't, but I was really curious. No doubt it trades well, but that's because it's a novelty and the vast majority of people seeking it out haven't tried it yet.

20. Sorry I ninja'd that quote a little.

21. gpawned

Haha, no problem

That's where we disagree, I guess. I don't think I'm willing to give FFF that sort of trust on expensive bottles anymore. Too many disappointments/not worth the price bottles for my liking.

22. I'm with you on those $35 bottles but when there is BA DL involved I will drop the money.

23. personally, i'm thinking the aluminum can only improve a sour : )

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  24. footballnbeer

footballnbeer Zealot (85) Indiana Mar 12, 2010

This beer is the same as the previous release from what I was told. Both are barrel aged.

aasher likes this.
  25. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (370) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

About TIME this argument came up, I was wondering if/when it was going to happen! "So what if the brewery charges $100 for a 5 oz. pour, don't like it, don't buy it, 'Merica!". That "don't buy it if you don't like how much it is" argument is so old, this is a website dedicated to beer, which includes pricing, reviews, opinion, etc. I honestly don't understand why people feel the need to defend breweries pricing structures so much, are they planted on BA by the breweries? I spend an enormous amount of money on beer, as I'm sure a lot of you do, so I feel that, as a consumer, we have a right to bitch about the price of a product. In the end, this is just a product from a company, nothing more, nothing less.

26. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

Sigh, this is stupid on a lot of levels. You start off with one logical fallacy and move on to blindly insinuating that I'm a plant from Sun King. Take a step back and think about it.

No, I'm not a plant by Sun King to defend their pricing structure. I understand that supply curves slope upwards and that breweries are in this business to do something they love and make a bit of money while doing it. If you think a price is too high, buy something else and vote with your wallet. What does the complaining here even accomplish? Is Sun King going to read this thread and go, "Wow, better decrease the price, some people don't like it?" However, if you think the beer/brewery doesn't merit the price based on quality, I get that. Those are good posts and something I'll consider if I ever run across the chance to buy the beer. I just think saying "This price is too high" is ultimately fruitless.

Bay01 likes this.
  27. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (370) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

After an intelligent insult like that I shouldn't even respond, but I will.
    You're right, it isn't $100 for a 5 ounce pour, sorry for exaggerating, and you don't work for Sunk King, I get that.
    I have no problem with breweries making money, that's why they are in the business to do, and I don't recall ever stating that I wish they didn't. I'm simply stating that I and a lot of other BA's feel that Sun King is getting out of hand with their releases. I vote with my wallet every single day, and I will choose to not pay $25 for this beer and will spend it on something else.
    What does arguing against mine and a lot of others point of view on here accomplish? A lot of breweries/brewers read these threads and a lot of them will listen to complaints/criticisms/praise/suggestions from the consumer. I've seen a lot of responses direct from the breweries before, so it doesn't hurt.

28. aasher

aasher Champion (930) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Obviously you and I remember drinking that beer quite well but one of the assistant brewers told me that they do have a version with cherries but that the one at Battle of Belgium probably wasn't the version with cherries. It almost made my head explode.

The version at Kahns was DEFINITELY barrel aged.

MordorMongo likes this.
  29. BuckeyeDave

I just received a response from Sun King. The version of Velvet Fog that is about to be released is not barrel aged. Response from brewery:

No, Velvet Fog is not bourbon barrel aged.

30. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

9 bucks a pint for take-home non-barrel aged beer. Pass.

31. gpawned

But you can reseal it!!!

32. MordorMongo

Boo for non-barrel aged. Hopefully it is still delicious.

33. mikeat

mikeat Aficionado (155) Indiana Jul 31, 2007

Sun King isn't "coming to Chicago", they're providing the market a limited amount of inventory around FOBAB, just like the did for Denver for GABF.

Scoop the bloggers, my ass.

denimdemon likes this.
  34. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

So we've got the "price is too high" whiners and readerless bitter bloggers, just need some "beer scene was better in my day" people to suck all the life out of this one, you guys.

35. You have people with opinions opining on beer price and quality on a beer dedicated site. What is your expectation?

Lukafer likes this.
  36. So did anyone attempt to get a reservation? The site currently says "pending", I'm guessing it took all of a minute or two for these to be sold out...

37. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

I got one. The online allotment sold out in under a minute.

38. jonallan

jonallan Aficionado (130) Indiana Apr 27, 2012

got one as well. while doing so there was a 15 min window to actually complete the 'order'. might want to try again in a few minutes in case someone walks away without actually completing the whole workflow.

39. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (545) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I got one. By the time I was done going through the reservation screen, they were all already claimed.

40. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Clearly the price is too high.

antzman and aasher like this.