1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Super Deli Mart - West Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beenitty, Sep 23, 2012.

1. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Curious if any BAs have been to this store recently, wondering if anyone can give me their highlights of what the store has because they don't have a beermenus and weren't too helpful on the phone. I have a buddy going up there for me and I need to give him some proper guidance

I love barleywines, anything Fremont (really seeking bourbon barrel abominable), underrated NW breweries, and aged gems.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Tell your friend to hit up beer junction as well. A couple miles away and one of the better beer stores in Seattle. They're a bit more professional than super deli so if you called they could tell you what they had or you could check their Facebook/twitter to see what new stuff they've gotten in. Better prices too.

JakeFisch, beenitty and draheim like this.
  3. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Definitely try Beer Junction. Better store, better selection, more taps, better service, etc. Just better overall.

JakeFisch and draheim like this.
  4. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Beer Junction all the way, and tell him to get over to the Ballard area and check out chucks hop shop. Super Deli Mart has a decent selection, but I've always been treated like shit in that place. I doubt I'll ever go back.

draheim likes this.
  5. The benefit to Super Deli Mart is that all growler fills are $10. I've been there too many times and had to listen to the owner berate his employees. I won't return.

barleywinefiend and suncrust like this.
  6. I can walk to Super Deli Mart from my house in less than 5 minutes and I'll never go in there again. They lack professionalism in any definition of the word. As mentioned, he yells at and tries to embarrass employees in front of customers, charges you extra fees for using debit cards, tells you beers don't exist (DFH 75 minute) when you ask if they are coming to the market, and generally- it is an unpleasant convenience store to be in.

Beer Junction on the other hand, might charge you an extra couple of bucks for growlers, but also have a better selection, an owner that bends over backward to provide friendly and excellent service, has a clean and welcoming shop, and happy employees who aren't verbally abused in front of the owner.

7. I had a great experience at Super Deli Mart in April 2011. The owner was kind to his staff and every patron for the entire hour that I was there. Too bad to hear of these other experiences. Mean people suck.

8. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Can anyone comment on the existence of Bourbon Barrel Abominable sitting around from last year, anywhere in Seattle area?

9. I am unaware of any B-bomb still sitting on shelves.

10. There were several bottles at Elizabeth Station in Bellingham yesterday. It's around an hour north of Seattle.

11. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

There are bottles at several places here in Tha 'Ham. The $16-17 price scares a lot of locals off. And B'ham is more like 2 hours North of Seatthole, especially with the weekday slowdowns around Everett.

12. Sounds like it is time to take a trek north. Any tips?

13. beertunes

Elizabeth Station still has it, as does the Cornwall Corner Store. Food Coop had it a couple weeks ago, I haven't been in lately. Bellingham Beer Week is in full swing this week, so there are events happening all over town, every day, it'd be a good week for a road trip.

14. Another shout of praise for Beer Junction ova here.

bifrost17 likes this.
  15. Thanks!

beertunes likes this.
  16. beertunes

As of yesterday, ES had 1 bottle left, and you'll have to ask for it. CCS still has 3, in a cooler.

17. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I'm flying over to Seattle in November and was wanting to hit up a bottle shop also. I was looking at 99 bottles but after all this talk about Beer Junction I'm considering changing the plan. What do you guys think?
    EDIT- after looking at the map I've removed 99 bottles from the plan. Thanks for the heads up on Beer Junction!

18. There are a number of good bottle shops in Seattle. Depending upon your travel within the city proper, you can't really go wrong with Beer Junction, Bottleworks, Full Throttle Bottles, The Last Drop, or Chuck's Hop Shop.

Boz12 and SatlyMalty like this.
  19. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

I would go with Beer Juction, Bottleworks and then Full Throttle Bottles in that order. If staying downtown, none of them are within walking distance but they are all a pretty quick cab ride.

If you go to Beer Junction, you can also hit Elliot Bay Brewery/pub right accross and down the street (1 block) for lunch/dinner with some good beer and pretty darn good food. I recommend the Cuban Sanmmich! A little farther down the street ( 1 1/2 miles?) but still a very quick cab ride or bus ride is Baverage Place. No food but a great tap and bottle selection. They do have a huge selection of delivery menus to choose from if you get hungry while there. Zeeks pizza next store is pretty decent.