1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Super Nebula & Pappy's Dark bottle release

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Jan 15, 2013.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

spillred likes this.
  2. I can't wait. Already sent my email about reservations for the brunch. Should be awesome. Now to somehow convince myself that I need to put my name in for the lottery for the 3L bottles....

3. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Will they send confirmation emails for the brunch?

4. I hope they do, but don't know if they will. I asked them on Facebook and will let you know if I hear anything.

5. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I got confirmation for mine. I'm excited and I love that you get your full allocation without having to stand in line....plus awesome brunch! I also entered my name for the 3L because I love Block 15 so much haha.

6. Not liking that I haven't got a confirmation now...

7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Does anyone know if they're only doing a release event in Corvalis, or if the beer will be released (some place) up in PDX as well? Thanks.

8. pintplease

pintplease Zealot (90) Oregon Dec 20, 2008

Hop and Vine, a Sunday in mid-February, but I don't remember date and they didn't know any other details as of last week.

9. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Pretty sure it's the 3rd.

10. OakedCanuck

Got my confirmation email. Thanks though!

11. Just got home from work and got my confirmation too. Space filled up quickly apparently.

12. John_M

Excellent. Thanks!

13. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Do the bottles generally sell out the day they're released, or are they available for a while? My next visit to Oregon is closer to the middle of the month.

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  14. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Wow, this is the first time I have heard of these guys. Looked them up and the brewery has a score of 91. Are their year rounds easily accessible in WA?

15. OakedCanuck

No. They mostly stay as brewery only or at some PDX stores. Block 15 is one of the best.

16. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Thnx, I'll definitely be making them one of my stops when I take a trip to CA.

17. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

PDX release for Pappy's & Super Nebula is at The Hop & Vine Feb 17th. Like last year, a complete tap takeover w/ kegs of Pappy's Dark, Super Nebula, The Demon's Farm, Golden Canary, Le Ferme de la Ville Provision, Wonka's Wit, Alpha IPA, and Wandelpad. Bottles of Pappy's and Nebula. 11am. More details being tied up in the next few days in regards to entry process, etc. Excited!

KrangTheConqueror, guajolote and vurt like this.
  18. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Very good news. My flight leaves Portland that evening, so it looks like I might have to pay a visit to The Hop & Vine that day.

19. guajolote

I went to Block 15 for lunch the Tuesday after the release last year, and they were out. I was gutted to hear the last bottle had walked out the door about an hour before I arrived. I wouldn't expect them to last past Sunday this year. They still had it on tap (along with Pappy's '10 & '11, SN '10 and Hypnosis), and I believe they keep it on all February during their Bourbon Month festivities.

20. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

YES! Golden Canary was one of my favorite beers from 2012, can't wait to have it again. We didn't get a brunch ticket in time but I'm heading to Corvallis regardless.

21. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

I'll fight you for a bar seat.
    With knives.

22. DimensionX

we/Knife have a reservation for 11am brunch, might be able to squeeze you in. Hit him up if you think you are going to make it.

23. Has anyone heard about the results of the 3L lottery yet?

24. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Nevermind!

25. I went to a conference at OSU back in October and spent an evening at Block 15 with my coworkers. Demon's Farm was pretty damn impressive.

26. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (700) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Block 15 doesn't bottle any year-rounds.

27. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Nope...I hate waiting btw. :)

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  28. bfg75

If any BAs need a brunch reservation I have a 4 person reservation for 10am but only three people. If you'd like to join (and get your full allocation without waiting in line) BM me!

29. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

FYI the 3L drawing will be happening this afternoon.

30. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Thanks for the update!

31. bfg75

Reservation is taken. See you guys down there. Anyone going down to get tanked Friday night? Everything will be on tap...

32. John_M

I'll be in town on the 19th. Is there any hope that there will still be bottles available by then, or that they'll still have some of those beers on tap?

Thanks! Cheers!

33. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (700) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'd imagine some will still be on tap. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for bottles, though.

34. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

They'll have a 1 bottle per person limit and then fail to enforce a no line cutting policy if last year is any indication.

35. guajolote

I went the Tuesday after the release last year and missed the last bottles by about an hour. I'm guessing they won't even last until Sunday this year. Only 89 cases are being released.

The limit for both SN & Pappy's is six, FYI.

36. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

He was asking about the PDX release. I may or may not have had a bad experience last year.

37. guajolote

Ah. My bad. I didn't read the post he'd quoted. Disregard.

38. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

I'm sure the bottles will be all gone, if last year is any indication. With that much beer on tap, it's very likely there will be a few of the kegs left on the 19th. Provision will def still be there, and Pappy's could still be on. Hell, Figgy was on for 4 or 5 days after last year's, though Super Neb and Canary will fly.

We had a 2 bottle limit last year (1 max of the Super Nebula), and as far as the 'no-cutting' policy, I'm not sure how prevalent it was (didn't seem like it, but I was pretty busy) but also not sure how to "enforce" one. It's kind of a no-brainer no-no and generally enforced by people in line. This year, I'll have the cashier remind customers loudly they must have traveled through the entire line personally to get their bottles. That work for you?

bosco123 likes this.
  39. Just curious...if anyone who wants to trade the 3L Super Nebula they won for a 3L Eclipse Grand Cru, which was brewery only too, please let me know! I had no such luck in winning one today. :(

40. DimensionX

Friday can't come soon enough! I'm dyin over here.